• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those that say they don't shop at Walmart ever........

Most third shift is 10 or 11 pm to 7 am, so it can make shopping difficult. But anyway, I've never noticed the issue of quality. From my perspective, I can spend $X on jeans at Wal-mart, and they last (for example) 6 months. Or, I can spend $2X on jeans from somewhere else, and they last (again, for example) 6-7 months. Ditto for shoes, socks, DVDs, Hot wheels, etc.

We've never noticed a difference with most food, though produce can be extremely hit or miss. This appears to be more due to the manager and employees (since other Wal-marts have had great produce sections), so when we want certain produce items (or specialty ones), we go to an alternate (non-Wal-mart) store.

I can only comment about the stores where I shop, but in my town, you can spend the $20 (or more) on a pair of jeans from Walmart, or, you could buy jeans on clearance at Boscov's, or JcPenney that normally cost $30 to $50 for $10.00. I've even gotten jeans for $20 at Hollister. At Walmart, clearance sales probably only come at the end of each season. Since department stores (mall stores, kohl's etc..), are constantly receiving new merchandise they have to constantly keep their inventory cleared out. This means there is always something on clearance. These types of stores can't allow inventory to sit around till the end of the season. Walmart can because they sell such a variety that they still profit a lot if things sit longer.

The jeans I mentioned above are always the latest trend setters too. That's really a rarity at Walmart.

I've bought sweatshirts in the mall (really good brand and popular brands) and then walked into Walmart where the prices was either the same or slightly more. I don't know if you have kids, but mine would prefer sweatshirts from Hollister, PacSun, Abercrombie, etc... rather than the brands sold at Walmart. When you're talking the same price or less, it's crazy to buy the lesser quality.

Most of the above have been for my children (17 and 18 and do wear adult sizes), but I've even purchased Columbia sweatshirts at Kohl's for hubby that cost less than those at Walmart's sweatshirts (I do not believe they carry Columbia). I know this because when I do walk into Walmart, I just look at the prices and snicker. You can't even buy socks cheaper at Walmart. For anyone who has a Ross's store, buy your socks there. It might not be the lowest price you can get them for, but their prices are really good everyday and are much better than Walmart's.

I have no idea what goes on in every town in America, but I've always been amazed at the people who say Walmart is the better bet for pricing. I'm 100% convinced that's just not true on most items. Food items of certain brands will be the same quality regardless of where it's purchased (assuming you're not shopping in stores where products have went beyond expiration dates). Still, for most items, stocking up at the grocery store is normally the better bet than Walmart's everyday low price.

I can understand those who don't or can't stock up at the grocery store during sales believing they receive the better deal at Walmart. If you're a shop as you need it type person, Walmart probably is the better fit for your needs. That still doesn't make them the best deal in town.

Wow, I have no problem with any of the Walmarts around me. The superstore closest to me opened last week, so it's obviously not dirty or gross, and all of the other superstores in area (except the one closest to my parents) were originally "regular" Walmarts that were converted to Super Walmarts within the last year, so they may as well be brand new. We don't have Super Targets around here, though I did like the one I went to in Orlando, so I certainly wouldn't be above shopping there if one ever opened here.

Frankly, I like being able to get everything I want in one place at the best prices. Why would I want to make an extra trip to Macy's to pay probably 50% more for something like a blender if I didn't have to? :rolleyes1

I have no problem shopping at Walmart, but don't got out of my way to go there unless it is necessary. The supercenters that have opened in our location - their prices are higher than Publix, and Publix here is the high priced grocery store.

I can only comment about the stores where I shop, but in my town, you can spend the $20 (or more) on a pair of jeans from Walmart, or, you could buy jeans on clearance at Boscov's, or JcPenney that normally cost $30 to $50 for $10.00. I've even gotten jeans for $20 at Hollister. At Walmart, clearance sales probably only come at the end of each season. Since department stores (mall stores, kohl's etc..), are constantly receiving new merchandise they have to constantly keep their inventory cleared out. This means there is always something on clearance. These types of stores can't allow inventory to sit around till the end of the season. Walmart can because they sell such a variety that they still profit a lot if things sit longer.

The jeans I mentioned above are always the latest trend setters too. That's really a rarity at Walmart.

I've bought sweatshirts in the mall (really good brand and popular brands) and then walked into Walmart where the prices was either the same or slightly more. I don't know if you have kids, but mine would prefer sweatshirts from Hollister, PacSun, Abercrombie, etc... rather than the brands sold at Walmart. When you're talking the same price or less, it's crazy to buy the lesser quality.

Most of the above have been for my children (17 and 18 and do wear adult sizes), but I've even purchased Columbia sweatshirts at Kohl's for hubby that cost less than those at Walmart's sweatshirts (I do not believe they carry Columbia). I know this because when I do walk into Walmart, I just look at the prices and snicker. You can't even buy socks cheaper at Walmart. For anyone who has a Ross's store, buy your socks there. It might not be the lowest price you can get them for, but their prices are really good everyday and are much better than Walmart's.

I have no idea what goes on in every town in America, but I've always been amazed at the people who say Walmart is the better bet for pricing. I'm 100% convinced that's just not true on most items. Food items of certain brands will be the same quality regardless of where it's purchased (assuming you're not shopping in stores where products have went beyond expiration dates). Still, for most items, stocking up at the grocery store is normally the better bet than Walmart's everyday low price.

I can understand those who don't or can't stock up at the grocery store during sales believing they receive the better deal at Walmart. If you're a shop as you need it type person, Walmart probably is the better fit for your needs. That still doesn't make them the best deal in town.

this is how I shop for clothes! I get the quality and styles we want for the discount prices!!!! Also, I price check for items we commonly use and stock up. I love getting great things for the prices I would pay at a Walmart. All the stores are in the same area. No need for Walmart really.

There is one specific item that comes in a larger container and at a better price. The Walmart is in the town where DD takes lessons and there are fewer stores (No Target!:sad1:). We like to get our running done during that time. We run in - grab that one item and leave. If we have time to kill, I will price check items.

As mentioned, SIL likes to go there - so I will price check then as well. The one thing I have found cheaper is in the garden center. The basic annuals are cheaper than most places around here.

I could easily make due without the savings on the one item and the annuals.

I got nothing practical really to add here other than this: I don't shop at Walmart but it's not for any "big" or "personal" reason. I just don't need anything at Walmart. We (the wife and I) haven't been in the last two years, except once... and we didn't find anything we needed or that looked half-decent at any sort of exceptional price.

We shop for food at local co-op markets. I buy tech, games and movies online. We buy clothes elsewhere, at retail-specific locations. Ditto dog/houseware/misc stuff. The only big store buying we do is Costco, where I pick up our meats, cause I can't seem to find a good butcher around here.

That would depend on your town.

Stocking up at the grocery store where the price is higher than WalMart is still paying a higher price and that is the fact here. I have tried to shop other grocery stores and hit the sales, I still end up back at WalMart because it is the only way I can keep my grocery bill down to a reasonable amount. I do price match a few items (we are talking one or two items a week, max) that are on sale somewhere else and stock up on those items as well as WalMart's sales. I do buy meat at another store (but everything else is waaaayyy to expensive to buy at that store).

For personal items: soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Still cheaper at WalMart or if on a particularly good sale somewhere, I ad match.

For household items such as appliances, dishes, etc. It really depends on what you want. Take an iron for instance. I need an iron for some clothes but I don't iron very often. All I want is one that will get hot and has steam--no bells or whistles; so I bought one for $10 at WalMart. I wouldn't necessarily buy my vacuum cleaner at WalMart because I want higher quality (but that is not saying that I won't buy it there either, depends on what brand I want)

I don't buy many clothing items at WalMart, but I do buy dd's school uniform pants there. Good quality brand at a value price--it really cannot be beat in our town. I bought some of her uniform pants in the "mall stores" last year, they didn't last 3 months, the ones I bought at WalMart are in perfect condition. The other thing I buy is dh's jeans. He wears Wrangler, exclusively. Absolutely no reason to go to a western wear store (the only other place I can purchase them here) and pay $30-$40 for a pair when I can buy the exact same pair for $20 at WalMart.

Other things, like my clothes for work, dd's clothers not for school and dh's shirts are all bought at Penney's, Dillards whevever we see something we like and its on sale.

Everything is really going to depend upon the town you live in and what stores are available to you. We don't have any large grocery stores except WalMart.

The other thing is how much a person wants to go around hunting up the best price on items. Lets say I need to buy groceries, get dh a pair of jeans and socks, dd needs uniform pants and shampoo. I might could run to 5 different stores and maybe get a better price on some of the items. This would take me 3-4 hours on my Saturday. Or I can go to WalMart and spend 1 hour of my Saturday and get everything in one store, plus it is convient to get in and out of. It would have to be some huge savings for me to spend the 3-4 hours over the 1. WalMart is great for busy people who cannot go by a store after work and only have a limited amount of time on the weekends.

Americans in the USA are expected to learn the language of all immigrants- legal and illegal, that come to the country. We don't want to offend anyone thinking they have to learn english.

Seriously? You speak Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian, Polish, Farsi, German, French, Korean, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian and Japanese? You are a wonder to behold. Amazing.

:rolleyes2

I thought it was widely known at this point that Walmart has a policy of losing money on new stores, supporting their loses with the profits of the whole company, in order to drive out competition in the area of a new store. It's certainly well documented (see "Big Box Swindle" for documentation and statistics). The only time Walmart's prices are consistently lower than the competition is when they have opened a new store in an area and are trying to put the competition there out of business.

Guess what else they do? They supersaturate the areas with more Walmarts than the market will support, so initially they are hiring a lot of people and offering really low prices. When they've driven out the set percentage of competitors, they close the superfluous Walmarts and all those people are on the street.

Once that point is reached, consumer watchdogs have found that Walmart's prices average higher than the going rate.

My point? You're paying less now to be absolutely certain you'll pay more from then on. And, yes, other big boxes do this as well, though none have the financial pull to do it to the degree that Walmart does.

I sometimes wonder what Walmart lovers will do when there IS no more competition? Prices will certainly not stay low then, I imagine.

That would depend on your town.

Stocking up at the grocery store where the price is higher than WalMart is still paying a higher price and that is the fact here. I have tried to shop other grocery stores and hit the sales, I still end up back at WalMart because it is the only way I can keep my grocery bill down to a reasonable amount. I do price match a few items (we are talking one or two items a week, max) that are on sale somewhere else and stock up on those items as well as WalMart's sales. I do buy meat at another store (but everything else is waaaayyy to expensive to buy at that store).

For personal items: soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Still cheaper at WalMart or if on a particularly good sale somewhere, I ad match.

For household items such as appliances, dishes, etc. It really depends on what you want. Take an iron for instance. I need an iron for some clothes but I don't iron very often. All I want is one that will get hot and has steam--no bells or whistles; so I bought one for $10 at WalMart. I wouldn't necessarily buy my vacuum cleaner at WalMart because I want higher quality (but that is not saying that I won't buy it there either, depends on what brand I want)

I don't buy many clothing items at WalMart, but I do buy dd's school uniform pants there. Good quality brand at a value price--it really cannot be beat in our town. I bought some of her uniform pants in the "mall stores" last year, they didn't last 3 months, the ones I bought at WalMart are in perfect condition. The other thing I buy is dh's jeans. He wears Wrangler, exclusively. Absolutely no reason to go to a western wear store (the only other place I can purchase them here) and pay $30-$40 for a pair when I can buy the exact same pair for $20 at WalMart.

Other things, like my clothes for work, dd's clothers not for school and dh's shirts are all bought at Penney's, Dillards whevever we see something we like and its on sale.

Everything is really going to depend upon the town you live in and what stores are available to you. We don't have any large grocery stores except WalMart.

The other thing is how much a person wants to go around hunting up the best price on items. Lets say I need to buy groceries, get dh a pair of jeans and socks, dd needs uniform pants and shampoo. I might could run to 5 different stores and maybe get a better price on some of the items. This would take me 3-4 hours on my Saturday. Or I can go to WalMart and spend 1 hour of my Saturday and get everything in one store, plus it is convient to get in and out of. It would have to be some huge savings for me to spend the 3-4 hours over the 1. WalMart is great for busy people who cannot go by a store after work and only have a limited amount of time on the weekends.

I just ran a search on Hattiesburg MS (in your location line) and you have 20 times the grocery stores available to you that I have. We have 2 in our town, plus 1 Walmart superstore. I do shop in Altoona, PA and State College, Pa for clothing and what not, so there are times when I might hit the grocery stores on those towns when I'm there too.

Maybe you don't live directly in that town, but there is a lot to choose from at that location.

Now, if you want to start debating time involved in obtaining deals, I'll have to back away from that aspect of the debate because I never once said it was faster to get the better deal. Though I really am not sure I put more time into buying 10 boxes of this or that when I find a sale instead of buying 10 different items that I stocked up on last week when I found that sale.

As for clothing, we don't wear Wrangler. We've always been more of the Levi type people (hubby anyway). I can buy Levi in the mall for less than you're buying Wrangler for at Walmart (I will add that I am furious with Levi for taking the manufacturing jobs overseas though). Levi double stitches everything if you don't buy the orange label (not even sure they sell an orange label anymore) and for work clothes for men, I'd put Levi up against other jean manufacturers any day of the week.

My point is, you can be perfectly content with Walmart and I have no problem with that (I hate my husband shopping there and my FIL could spend 24/7 there with no problem whatsoever, so I'd not even try to dissuade anyone else) but that still doesn't make them the best deal in town. It might be the best deal in town for you (when you add your time, etc... into the equation), but price alone, it's just not for most things.

I often used the example in prior Walmart threads, but my one GF LOVES Walmart. We were in Target and she needed deodorant for her live in BF at the time. Neither of us were buying anything that day at Target and we were heading to Walmart next, so she decided to wait and pick it up there. It was not on sale at the time at Target, either. When we get there, for the EXACT same size and brand, it was $1.00 more than it had been at Target. Since she knows I'm not a fan of Walmart, I had to play the, ha, ha, ha, game with her. Even after that incident though, she to this day still LOVES Walmart above all other stores.

EDIT: And she loves to give me hell about my kids wearing Hollister, Abercrombie, among many other popular brands. Guess what though? That $50 Hollister sweater (original price) was less than the shirt that your son has on his back right now. She doesn't care though, she'd rather just tell me what I shouldn't be buying my kids regardless of the reasons.

It is really a completely different approach to shopping. I don't ever "need" shampoo in a can't wait for a sale sense, because when I see a good price on the brands we use, I buy several bottles. I do spend 3-4 hours if I'm doing the big shopping, but I only do that every couple-few months when I'm in the city anyway, and in between I just do quick trips to the local grocery and farmer's market for perishables.

Our local WM will price match the competitors ads, so I just take that with me when I go shopping. I also shop early in the morning, while the store is still quiet. I love children but when I shop in the afternoon and people are there with their tired, screaming children i can't stand it.

It is really a completely different approach to shopping. I don't ever "need" shampoo in a can't wait for a sale sense, because when I see a good price on the brands we use, I buy several bottles. I do spend 3-4 hours if I'm doing the big shopping, but I only do that every couple-few months when I'm in the city anyway, and in between I just do quick trips to the local grocery and farmer's market for perishables.

So, if this weekend you see in the sales papers that one store has shampoo, toothpaste and socks on sale; and another store has 3 things on sale and another store has other things on sale. Do you hit all 3 stores? Do you only get the items you are running low on or do you buy all of them because they are a good price? But, then I still go back to my original post about WalMart. If store A is running Crest toothpaste on sale for $1.50 and Walmart has it for $1.48 there is not much point in stocking up at $1.50 KWIM?

The only thing I really "stock up" on is meat. This past weekend the little store I buy meat at had pork chops $1 a pound. I bought enough to last 2-3 months (don't want pork in the freezer any longer than that). They also had roasts on sale and I bought 3. Now if they run pork chops again during that 2-3 months, I don't buy anymore until just before I run out. I do it this way because meat is perisable and I don't want it in the freezer for too long.

So, if this weekend you see in the sales papers that one store has shampoo, toothpaste and socks on sale; and another store has 3 things on sale and another store has other things on sale. Do you hit all 3 stores? Do you only get the items you are running low on or do you buy all of them because they are a good price? But, then I still go back to my original post about WalMart. If store A is running Crest toothpaste on sale for $1.50 and Walmart has it for $1.48 there is not much point in stocking up at $1.50 KWIM?

There are tons of people out there who coupon and CVS/Walgreen Rebate their way to free toothpaste and never pay a penny for toothpaste ever again.

Now I'm not like that--but again, Walmart is NOT always the best deal.

I'm not one to avoid Walmart--but I've been around the stores a few times to know that often, Walmarts everyday low prices are not always the lowest in town.

Where I live, the stores all all within 2 minutes of one another, so it doesn't matter much to hop between them if I chose to do that.

I know what I can usually get at Walmart cheaper.

But I can honestly say I don't really get emergency uniform pant and blue jean purchase when I need to go grocery shoppping.

The super Walmart also--is 15 minutes from my house.

I sometimes wonder what Walmart lovers will do when there IS no more competition? Prices will certainly not stay low then, I imagine.

Some one else will come in and undersell Walmart then. Until it comes to the point were we are socialized like the Soviets and all production and distribution is controlled by the government there will always be some one who will bring you the best price. That is free market economics. Read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.

BTW I hate Walmart and will not go into mine. All the Walmarts around me are filthy and staffed and patronized by really scary people. I understand there are decent ones elsewhere but here they are gross. I love Target. I also prefer the stockpile method of buying basics supplies to the run into the store when I need them method. With stockpiling you buy things on sale when it is convenient for you then you don't have to run around every weekend. It takes a little more planning but I don't think it takes as much time as shopping every week.

This is not true for our WalMart stores. Since WalMart opened here they have been cheaper and still are. I have tried shopping at other area stores, hitting their sales, using coupons all that; WalMart still beats them item for item and we have had a WalMart for at least 15 years.

Same here. The Walmart near my parents' house has had cheaper prices on cereal for as long as I can remember, and it's been operating in that location for at least 15 years. The new Super Walmart that opened last week that's about 5 mins from home now is in an area full of locally-owned grocery chains that have all been in business in the area for at least a decade, apart from one that I remember going to as a kid probably 25 years ago. I don't see WM doing much in the way of driving any of those businesses under any time soon.

Same here. The Walmart near my parents' house has had cheaper prices on cereal for as long as I can remember, and it's been operating in that location for at least 15 years. The new Super Walmart that opened last week that's about 5 mins from home now is in an area full of locally-owned grocery chains that have all been in business in the area for at least a decade, apart from one that I remember going to as a kid probably 25 years ago. I don't see WM doing much in the way of driving any of those businesses under any time soon.

I use my overall bill to compare, not just one item. My walmart will be lower on cereal but they are sky high on lunch meat and fresh meat so overall the few times I did shop there I didn't see any significant savings. My supermarket also doubles my coupons which wamart does not, gives me 10, 20 or 30% off certificates (if I spend 300 in a month which is a no brainer in my house) which walmart does not, usually 2 or 3 times a year they give free turkeys and hams and tons of bogo free on name brand items. Now since all my supermarkets have supersized (my shoprite is pretty much the same square footage) I really never have to worry about going into walmart.

a question, where do you buy " stuff"
without going to several different stores,

do you shop Target, what if there is no target near you , where do you go?

like if you need a blender, some glue, copy paper, a night light, laundry soap, pool chemicals, all in one trip.

my dh watched this last night
http://www.appomattoxnews.com/2009/the-new-age-of-walmart-upcoming-on-cnbc.html

I can get most of that stuff at our Costco or Home Depot or Target or Staples.

I live in the NJ/NY metropolitan area and we have a huge selection of stores, supermarkets and malls to shop at.

I was in Hanover, NH last week and can understand why some people are stuck shopping at a Walmart (there's nothing else around for miles and miles). We had to drive to Burlington, VT to shop at a Costco (100 miles away).

The only thing I really "stock up" on is meat. This past weekend the little store I buy meat at had pork chops $1 a pound. I bought enough to last 2-3 months (don't want pork in the freezer any longer than that). They also had roasts on sale and I bought 3. Now if they run pork chops again during that 2-3 months, I don't buy anymore until just before I run out. I do it this way because meat is perisable and I don't want it in the freezer for too long.

I don't read the sales papers every week because I don't shop every week. When I know I'm going to be in the city/suburbs near a variety of stores, I look at the papers then to see if there is anything worth picking up, and if there is, I buy it even if I'm not running particularly low. I often stop at a half dozen stores when I'm in the city, and then go 4-6 weeks without doing anything more than grocery shopping. We have a walk in pantry, root cellar, full basement, and spare freezer - I buy in bulk, can/freeze in-season produce, get meat in bulk direct from the farm, and take a "stock up" approach with just about everything!

I think it's funny because I stock about everything with the exception of meat. I might buy a bit of chicken or something if it's on sale, but for the most part, I don't like frozen meats. I'll also buy bacon and hot dogs (I really don't eat either), during a good sale because hubby loves them. Oh and I buy those boxes of 5 pounds of Icelandic haddock fillets. Hubby and I love it (kids not so much).

You and I are complete opposites when it comes to shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter