• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those that have sailed both Concierge and non-concierge

abuck75

Mouseketeer
My family has been on one cruise and we were fortunate enough to stay in a concierge one-bedroom suite. Despite some skepticism that cruising wouldn’t be for us, we absolutely loved it. In fact, it was an almost perfect experience, and I'm not sure our first experience would have been if we didn't have the extra help concierge provided to guide us through. Unfortunately for my family and I, I travel for work most weeks. Fortunately, it means most the time we travel as a family it is with the perks that come with loyalty status, and all our best vacations have seemed to include Disney.

As my kids DS (11) and DS (7) have recently embraced Star Wars, we are considering a cruise with a Star Wars day at sea. It's not lost on me that we are fortunate to have this option, and normally I see the value of paying for convenience on vacation to offset the inconvenience regular travel causes my family. That said, when pricing the trip I realized we can get two joining veranda rooms for about half the price of a 1 bedroom concierge, a saving of $10k. As much as I love convenience I'm having a hard time justifying a semester of college tuition for a week as a matter of principal (or Catholic guilt).

As I reflect, I'm trying to think of the "perks" that would not be available if we passed on the one-bedroom concierge suite for the two veranda rooms to properly compare options. Obviously we can kiss a cabana on castaway cay goodbye. While this concerns me, castaway cay seems to still be a favorite stop for most, so I suspect it can be a very good time. I certainly liked getting a private table for dinner and multiple reservations at Palo, but I suspect persistence could possibly make both happen. Can we get into Remy without concierge?

The lounge and "free" drinks are great, but it would take a years worth of spirits and wine to make up the cost difference.

I think I'm trying to ask is how big of a difference is it. What other perks am I forgetting that may alter our vacation if we aren't prepared. I know we're spoiled but we can brave the parks at rope drop and don't worry about our "reservations" for ADR's. That said, the confined space on the boat does seem to enhance the value of concierge vs something like Club Level at WDW.

I also wonder if concierge will expand on the new boats, and what impact that will have on the cost of a one-bedroom suite vs 2 veranda rooms?

I had zero trouble going to normal cabins after sailing Concierge. My family and I don’t care about the cabanas and were fine with one Palo dinner. Truth be told, we were really not high maintenance enough for Concierge - one of the hosts was so thrilled when I went to ask for another can of Diet Coke for the fridge he brought a 12-pack.

The things you asked about -
Castaway - As I said, we are fine without a cabana and see that as an unnecessary expense.
Private table - You can still request it.
Multiple Palo - If you book the first night, anyone can book a second. And anyone can request multiples once on board.
Remy - I don’t think it is that popular with the fixed menus and the expense. Could be wrong. But other than the dessert thingy I do not recall seeing many threads talking about it being sold out.

I would rather go on multiple cruises than waste the expense on Concierge (my dad booked it that time as it was part of our family trip for my parents’ 45th anniversary and even he has said it was not worth the extra expense for us). Just MHO.

Our first two cruises were in Concierge. I think that was a great way to learn the ropes since we always had someone available to explain everything.

Our third cruise was a Star Wars cruise and non-concierge. Honestly, we felt like we enjoyed more of the ship and had more Disney experience when we didn't seclude ourselves in the lounge. (Clearly they don't lock you in, but when it's there, we utilize it.)

I could see us doing Concierge again for a short cruise when we want to maximize our time on board, but we have loved our regular staterooms and the ability to travel more often/do more activities on board with the savings.

We have done both. We are a cabana family and love those so if I can’t get one at online check in, I stalk the site like crazy in hopes someone cancels. That is the only thing we miss.
Our kids do not miss anything and while the extra perks are nice, we definitely do not feel we are shorted or missing out by not traveling concierge.
We always request a table to ourselves and have that granted too.
Have fun! :)

I've cruised concierge on a different line, and non-concierge on DCL. That cost difference is exactly why. That's not catholic guilt, that's a chunk of a whole other vacation. ;) I'd rather vacation more, in a perfectly great non-concierge DCL room.

My 2 cents only.

Of my 7 DCL cruises, I’ve cruised concierge once (3-night one bedroom suite). It was great, and I plan to do it again with my daughter next year, but I agree with others that it’s not necessary in order to have a great cruise! The pampering and extra attention is nice, and the lounge is great as you said, but we’ve loved cruising with either a cabin with just a large porthole (my daughter’s favorite type of cabin) or a veranda. We’ve also requested a private table in the past and it has been granted. Enjoy!

We have done both and felt that sailing concierge was a fun experience it did not make us enjoy our vacation "more". In fact, when we were non-concierge we tended to spend more time out exploring the ship, enjoying the lounges, watching the shows...

We went concierge once in a Cat. V room a few cruises ago instead of our usual Cat. 4A when we were able to book it for less than $500 more on a 7 day western. We enjoyed it and the extras we received justified the price difference; however, we probably will not do it again because the extra cost now is thousands of dollars, not hundreds. We had no problem going back to a Cat. 4A.

We have done both. Love concierge and the access to a cabana. We got a good price when we have-time of year etc. Like your family, due to extensive travel for work and points etc., you can sometimes enjoy some great perks. But now with 2 in college, we want the ability to still travel. And my kids, no longer little, 19+21, still want to cruise with Disney. So we have switched up our strategy. We mostly book deluxe family verandah rooms, just because they are a bit more spacious. Last year, however, we did Alaska in a porthole room, because I wanted the extra dollars to go towards fantastic excursions. We had an awesome time. We are now booked in an interior room to cruise Italy/Greece next year, because once again, an expensive trip and I want fantastic excursions. Do I miss my latte in the concierge lounge? Yes, sometimes. And the quiet space I enjoy there? Yes-sometimes. But the cruise, to us, is family time, and a time to make great memories together. I feel we can do that in any cabin on the ship. That to us is the "perk". Will I sail concierge again? Prob. at some point. CL at the Poly is my favorite-will do that again. But for now we cruise on and pick our rooms knowing that we get to go and are really not missing out on anything by room choice. It is still an awesome time together.

Great topic but unfortunately the answers will probably vary too much for you to get an exact answer. You’ll have to vet out the items that do not apply to you.

I’ll chime in since our work lives sound similar, average about 125 flights a year and multiple elite status with hotels such. We will do an Alaska cruise on another line in a suite next week since DCL wanted the same price for a veranda room with 2 less days. Hotels on points on both ends and flights on points for family, except me (helps get more points for status).

On DCL we have done plenty of non concierge cruises and a few concierge. If you are choosing a Cat T or R then the concierge choice seems to make more sense with the extra space. It is still hard to justify the cost for the “extra” space. Your scenario is difficult since you are considering two staterooms vs 1 bedroom suite. If you utilize, or plan to utilize the concierge team a lot then that would be another factor. Everything they provide for booking dinner and excursions can be accomplished on your own pretty much with a little work. With Star Wars festivities, they will likely be helpful to get your first choices for the meet and greets but beyond that not much more than normal. We were amble to still get a cabana on our last cruise which was not concierge, but we are platinum so that helped a bunch. Based on these items, saving a few bucks and getting the two rooms makes more sense.

Here is where concierge makes a difference in my mind. A Concierge trip is just a little more relaxing. It is really a get away since the room and lounge/sun deck areas seem to be a little quieter and with less of a Disney rush to get it all done. The 2 rooms and the 1 bedroom suite would be similar space but it would just be nicer, have a real tub and two regular sized tv’s. Having a real living room space and the dining table can be helpful if you are all together. We don’t need the service but when it is used the team can be very helpful. There is plenty to eat and drink at anytime on a cruise but having a nice quiet and convenient area to grab a bite is a plus. Less lines and less hassle then the buffet. Having a dinner brought to your room can also free up some evenings for other events if needed. You mentioned that you cannot drink the difference but again the convenience of being able to drop in a grab a quick drink with a bartender that you know is a little more comforting.

You will enjoy either, so happy planning.

We cruise fairly often with Disney and have done everything from a standard inside to one-bedroom concierge. The two things we really miss from concierge: ordering dinner to our room from the MDR and the cabana on castaway cay. But so far, we have not decided that the additional cost is worth it for the one-bedroom concierge, so we've only done that on one cruise. We definitely don't think it's worth it for the standard verandah concierge (no dinners ordered in).

We have loved having two connecting rooms for our family of 4 (sometimes we have 5).

I’ve done three Disney cruises, one normal and two concierge. I absolutely loved my concierge sailings, we did the one bedroom suite and that made the biggest difference for me because I hate the tiny cabins. But I also really loved our normal sailing. For me, if I can afford concierge I’d like to sail in it. We are sailing Disney in Europe and concierge there is beyond insanely expensive, so there’s no way I can afford that. The Caribbean sailings are more affordable.

I don’t think concierge is something that is needed to enjoy the cruise and if the cost is prohibitive definitely don’t do it. Having two separate cabins can be nice for everyone to spread out. I know if I was a teenager again I’d rather a separate space over the suite. I think with kids they don’t really care and will be happy just being on the cruise.

For the table alone call and put that request in. We did this for our first cruise and we got it. You can go once on the ship to confirm you did get this request or if not if there is anything that can be done. Castaway cay is still really fun without a cabana. Which ever you choose you’ll have a great cruise

We love concierge and all that comes with it, but only to a point. When the cost differential over a regular verandah cabin is 50% +/- a little, it's likely worth it and I'd pay that. But on a few of the upcoming cruises we have booked in regular cabins, a concierge cabin was twice as much and that's NOT worth it, IMO, unless money is truly no object. I gladly paid $1,200 at the port last January for three of us to upgrade from a deluxe verandah on the Fantasy to a concierge cabin, but wasn't willing to pay the $5,000 more it would have cost to book the concierge cabin in advance.

We've cruised multiple times in 2 connecting rooms, then in the 1 BR concierge suite and then back to separate rooms. We love getting a cabana but we can also enjoy Castaway on the regular beach. We get on the island early and go to the end. It takes a while for it to get crowded there. We've also received our own dining table every time we've asked for it. The advantage to 2 rooms over the suite is that you have 2 real beds. The pull out in the suite was a bit of a stretch for fitting 2 teenagers. When we have 2 rooms they share/negotiate who gets the real bed every night. The snacks and drinks in the lounge were nice but it's not that big of a deal to walk up to the food deck and carry it back to the room. Or to order room service. My family drank a lot more soda than normal when they could just go pick up a can in the lounge...this is not a good thing lol. I think the greatest thing we missed is the "free" popcorn for the shows. I can't stand when they spend money on popcorn when there's all kinds of free food around. I try to get room service cookies, wrap them in the Saran wrap without the plate and carry them into the theater so they don't want to buy popcorn.

I’ve done two concierge (one of them was our first Disney cruise) and two non. I’ve liked them just the same

I require nothing from the hosts. The drinks were nice but unnecessary. I did NOT like the cappuccino machine on Dream, but stuck with it because it was included. I’m a latte person, personally. I appreciated the cruises without that included perk when I just paid for my handmade lattes.

Second concierge cruise, family wanted a cabana. I sent in my email as normal, requesting it, and it just felt off to me. (I hadn’t sent an email
with the first concierge cruise so didn’t know I should have gotten an auto reply, but even without the knowledge it just felt like something had gone awry) I ended up booking Palo and the cabana myself. And my email to them saying “never mind”, that I stuck onto my original email, was the first they’d seen my original email.

The only host I’ve liked left the company. The hosts that everyone loves, I found to be obnoxious and the main one talked down to my son, which isn’t something he or we are used to, and definitely wasn’t appreciated.

When we have access to the lounge we spend time there rather than on the ship. Because we’ve paid extra for it. But the ship is cool and fun. It’s a frustrating feeling. (It was the same with the cabana. I stayed there all day to get value. But I actually didn’t like it.) Not everyone does this. If you do, that paragraph might be good to think about.

Non concierge was just fine, and in some ways better, for me. The more cruises the better.

We have sailed in the 1 bedroom concierge suite and a balcony cabin on DCL. We have 2 connecting cabins (HC oceanview and aft veranda) booked for our October Dream cruise due to the same reasons you mentioned. The 1 bedroom wasn't even available and the concierge veranda was almost twice the cost of a balcony. IMO the benefits of that concierge room were not worth the cost. We are sailing with 2 11 year old boys. For us, we would rather have 2 bathrooms for the 4 of us. We didn't really use the concierge for anything but had drinks and snacks in the lounge. The priority boarding was nice but not necessary. I have been on multiple cruise lines and feel the food on DCL is better than any other cruise line, so we have no problems eating at the buffet or main dining restaurants. As far as Castaway Cay goes, which ship are you booking on? Our experience on Castaway Cay was much different on the Dream than it was on the Wonder due to the difference in the size of the ships. If I was on one of the larger ships, I would prefer to have a cabana. If sailing on the smaller ships, I didn't think it was as big of an issue as far as crowding of the island went. But to echo a comment that someone else made in this thread, I was able to get a cabana when we sailed on the Wonder. I kept checking back on the website and someone cancelled so I was able to book the cabana. We split it with another family onboard. So, I think it all boils down to your must haves and how much you want to spend to have those things. If you can be flexible and/or don't mind doing a little extra work checking back on the website for reservations or cabanas, I would take the 2 connecting rooms. If your vacation would be ruined (so to speak) without the concierge cabin, book that (if you have the money to spend).

We just got back from a Dream concierge cruise this morning and we find the concierge makes our cruises the most enjoyable they can be. Do they cost more..........yes, but it is worth it to us.

The cabana is important to our family and concierge allows that to happen for us.

Thanks you everyone for the thoughts, it has been very helpful to read others opinions.

While I do have some concerns about Castaway Cay, especially being a trip on the big ship, I think that will actually be the only major difference I need to analyze. I think i was mostly shocked to see a 1 BR concierge on a 7 day go up about 60% from Feb 2018 sailing to Feb 2020, and for now I think I'm leaning toward the adjoining family veranda rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter