For those that adopted a shelter dog

mamamary

DIS Veteran
Hi all.

My ds (11) is writing an opinion essay on why you should adopt a dog from a shelter. I was wondering if you all knew of any websites that gives pros for doing this. We already visited the ASPCA site and the Humane Society website.

Also, if any of you would like to let us know your successes it would be much appreciated. We got a shelter dog (actually 2) but don't know many other people that have and I know my son would like to hear what other people have to say.

Thanks!
Mary

We've adopted dogs from the humane society and each one has been a great pet. Years ago we adopted a dog from the pound, and he ended up having distepmer, and passed away. There's a big difference between a 'pound' and the humane society. Pound may just be another term for shelter, I'm not real sure about that terminology. I would definately adopt from the humane society again.

We got our golden retriever as a puppy from the Humane Society. She is a wonderful dog and we're very happy with her.

She's my first dog from a shelter--when I lived in New Mexico, I was always taking in dogs that needed a home. Because I was known to be an easy mark in that regard, I never had to actually go out and pick a dog from a shelter. When we moved here, we went to the Humane Society and they were so helpful. They knew my dd really wanted a puppy and they called me when some came in.

We adopted a "rescue" dog and it ended up being a total catastrophe. The dog had been severly abused and it took at least a year to get over some of his problems. He could only walk on cement, could only eat off the ground, his front legs were misshapen because he had been crated in too small a space. Just as things were looking good he began to behave very strangely and ended up attacking the neighbor's dog and then my 7yo niece just a few days later and had to be put down. The vet did an autopsy and there was a lesion on the dog's brain, most likely from being beaten when he was young. We would never adopt anything but a puppy after our experience. We thought that with proper training we could "fix" any problem that poor, dear dog was troubled with. We were very wrong.

We adopted a shelter dog. There are many pros and a few cons (if you can call them that)

Our dog, shay, was adopted as a puppy. We had a harder time house training her as we did with other, non-shelter, dogs. We think this was because she was used to soiling her cage at the shelter.

We also have a problem with her being very mouthy when playing and it's very hard to break this. I also attribute this to her being a shelter dog since she never got the "kickback" of being too mouthy with her litter mates.

Shay is extremely loving and is very submissive. She is afraid of most males because i believe she was abused by a male. She loves me to death though and listens to me more than my wife.

We adopted a "rescue" dog and it ended up being a total catastrophe. The dog had been severly abused and it took at least a year to get over some of his problems. He could only walk on cement, could only eat off the ground, his front legs were misshapen because he had been crated in too small a space. Just as things were looking good he began to behave very strangely and ended up attacking the neighbor's dog and then my 7yo niece just a few days later and had to be put down. The vet did an autopsy and there was a lesion on the dog's brain, most likely from being beaten when he was young. We would never adopt anything but a puppy after our experience. We thought that with proper training we could "fix" any problem that poor, dear dog was troubled with. We were very wrong.

Sorry to hear this.

HOW COULD YOU?
© 2001 Jim Willis

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub. My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice-cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day. Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate.

Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf. Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?" They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream ... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?" Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my
"How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

A Note from the Author: If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American & Canadian animal shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial
purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice.
Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay & neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals. -Jim Willis

HOW COULD YOU?
© 2001 Jim Willis

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub. My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice-cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day. Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate.

Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf. Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?" They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream ... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?" Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my
"How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

A Note from the Author: If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American & Canadian animal shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial
Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay & neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals. -Jim Willis

more than one kleenex

We adopted a dog from the pound last July. Sheba is a pekingese. She is golden in color and is a great dog. She came to us house broken. She is old though so she sleeps a lot. But she gets these funny little spurts of energy and is just hilarious. We got Sheba for me because my boyfriend decided I needed a lap dog. I have no idea why. Anyway, we were looking at puppies at the pet store and didn't find one that I just "loved". So on the way home was the pound. He pulled in and we went to look at dogs. I wanted to take them all home but that just isn't possible. :guilty: DS is 12 years old and has Asperger's Syndrome. We have another dog but he is quite large and DS can't/won't play with him. While at the pound DS kept going up to this one dog and just wouldn't look at any others. Boyfriend filled out the paperwork and we took her to the vet. She had an ear infection and her fur was way too long and matted. But she had been well cared for. She loves people but dislikes our very large dog. It is sooo funny to see little 12 pound Sheba chase our 90 pound Oz away from his own food dish! She sleeps with DS at night and I really believe that she helps with some of his issues. She was a very well trained dog. We all love her.

Hi all.

My ds (11) is writing an opinion essay on why you should adopt a dog from a shelter. I was wondering if you all knew of any websites that gives pros for doing this. We already visited the ASPCA site and the Humane Society website.

I just opened our Humane Society bulletin and right on the front was a story "How Shelter Dogs are One of Kind." Their website is www.lollypop.org. Maybe this will help some. We have had 3 shelter dogs of our 4 and 2 cats. They were always our babies and I can't imagine them going anywhere else. :)

HOW COULD YOU?
© 2001 Jim Willis

Oh God. :sad1: :sad1: :sad2:

Well, I can't add any pro's or con's per se...just some FYI's

The Humane Society of the US (HSUS) doesn't operate a single shelter..not one. So, I'm not sure they are a very good source for info. Here's a link to an interesting read. http://www.orlanelhasa.org/hsus.htm

Supposedly there is an overpopulation of dogs in shelters...but many dogs are brought into the country and put into our shelters (especially small dogs) to meet demand. Since dogs are being transported from other countries or even just other areas of this country, there is concern that diseases will be introduced and/or spread.

While I support giving a home to homeless pet in many cases, it isn't the answer for everyone. Those who get a dog from a trusted breeder shouldn't be condemned or made to feel guilty. Likewise, folks should be encouraged to find a pet through "breed rescues". Lets face it, there are different breeds because there are different needs. A terrier is cute but may be to active for a family with small children. Labs are good family dogs, but not all of us want a dog that carries things in it's mouth 24/7. I love Samoyeds and their ability to think for themselves, but they are too much dog for many people. Some people like the "uniqueness" of a mixed breed others prefer a purebred so they have a better idea what they are getting. All I'm saying here is, shelters have their place but aren't the only answer.

The most important thing is that the people getting a dog should be well matched to the dog's needs, energy level and personality to ensure that it's next home is it's forever home...no matter where it comes from. Pet ownership is a precious right - one that shouldn't be taken for granted. Another good site - http://www.pet-law.com/index.html

Guess that doesn't answer your question really...but it's info that kinda ties in. More to the point...we fostered a dog in Samoyed Rescue a couple of years back so the rescue lady could have a bit of a break. Her name was Daisy...what a goof! Though her name seems "dainty" she was anything but that! A regular bull in the china shop kind of dog! She ended up in a very nice home where I heard from the rescue worker the owners had gotten her a very nice crystal water bowl. Can't imagine Daisy using crystal...I can imagine her slamming a paw down on one edge, sending the water flying and the lovely bowl crashing!!! :) She was very sweet, in need of training, but very eager to please.

HOW COULD YOU?
© 2001 Jim Willis

Thank you, Denise for posting this for all to read!!! :goodvibes

OP, can I add a CAT story!!!!
:cat: My 25yo DS wanted a cat. :cat: He and his DF love animals but with their crazy work schedules; 2 jobs each and DF is finishing up her MBA...they thought a cat :cat: would be less maintenance for them. ::yes:: They are very well off....they could have gone to any fancy Pet Shop anywhere BUT instead they decided to go to an Animal Shelter. ::yes:: They walked in and FOUND HER :cat: right away. ::yes:: The personnel at the Shelter informed DS and DF that the cat was BLIND. :sad1: The cat was 3 months old. She was found outside in the woods. :sad2: DS & DF said "WE STILL WANT HER"!!! ::yes:: They paid $175.00 for Kitty!!! They named her KittyGirl OR KGirl OR LittleGirl or Kitty!!! (how original, I thought) :lmao:

Well that was in July!!! FF to now, Kitty has ALL her sight back. :woohoo: DS & DF took her to the Vet and he prescribed all these meds for Kitty's eyes. And DS & DF have been EXTREMELY diligent about Kitty's health and it is absolutely AMAZING that at their most recent Vet appt. the Vet was stunned at the RESULTS. :woohoo:

I will have DS forward me pics at some time and you all can see Kitty's eyes at 3months and now at 7months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

We adopted both our dogs from rescue groups who had rescued them from kill shelters. I can't imagine either of these dogs being euthanized. Our first one was SO grateful to be adopted. He had been adopted out 3 times before, but brought back because he was too energetic. Well, they advertised him up here in the rural area (very smart on their part) where they knew he would have more room. He was always SO grateful that we adopted him. All he ever wanted was a home and I swear he thought he hit the jackpot, because he got a family WITH kids to play with AND on a farm with plenty of room for him to run, horses to tease, etc. He never wanted to be enclosed - I think because of having to be caged in shelters.

Our second dog is very sweet (St. Bernard) but VERY needy. Needs to be around someone (my DH when he's home) ALL the time. But she is very sweet.

Hi :)

I'm an Ambassador for Best Friends Animal Society (http://www.bestfriends.org)...there is a ton of information on the Best Friends Network site located at:

http://network.bestfriends.org/

On the left you'll see a "Resources" link, you might try there. :)

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything or find you any other specific info. :dog:

Thank you so much. I remember a while ago reading your blog. I haven't seen you in a while. My son will go over this website later. I appreciate that you said we could pm you for more info. I may take you up on that offer. :flower3:

Our Odie came from the pound. He is a 9 pound Yorkie that we got when he was 3. That was 2 years ago and he has been a wonderful pet. He had been neutered and was housebroken.

We sometimes wonder about his life before us. He is scared to death of rolled up newspaper (I found this out when I rolled up a paper to kill a spider), he will only eat out of his food bowl at night. The vet did tell us his legs were deformed and would never be a show dog would could be the reason he was given to the pound.

My DS adopted his dog from the same pound a couple of months ago. He went in for a big dog like a German Shepard, but he fell in love with a miniature schnauzer. She is 6 years old, very mild mannered and well trained. She was spade, housebroken and crate trained. They have since found out she has some health issues and may need to have surgery in the next year. We assume this is why she was given up. I have never seen such love for a dog as my DS and DDIL have for this dog.

I would adopt another dog from the pound because we have had wonderful experiences. You need to be prepared because it is a sad place to visit.

We adopted our Daisy from a no-kill humane society. We wanted a dog, but wanted the calm of an older dog, not the hectic-ness of a puppy. We went to the local humane society and looked at several dogs and DH fell in love with Daisy. When we finally took her from the shelter, she was five years old and had been in the shelter for at least two years. Before that, she was living in a junkyard (in the UP of Michigan) with her puppies (who were also taken to the shelter and were adopted before Daisy).

Daisy is a blue tick coon hound - a rare breed in the upper midwest - and is a darling. She had spent two years on a thin blanket in a concrete cage. Yet when we got her home, she understood right away that we wanted her to go to the bathroom outside. She had lived her entire life in a junkyard or a shelter, and was so eager to please us that she took to house training right away. There were a few accidents, but it happens.

As a hound, we expected that we'd have problems with barking. She had barked up a storm at the shelter, just like all the other dogs who wanted to get our attention and be chosen. She has not barked since. Now that she has a home, food, a soft bed, and people who love her, she has no need to bark (plus, we feel there was some abuse to her throat area prior to the shelter because her bark sounds like someone is stepping on her throat).

She has a few health problems - mainly ear infections - because the shelter didn't have the time or the capability to monitor for them and clean them up.

Daisy is the best dog I have ever had (we had three different dogs while I was growing up). She is well-behaved, calm, and happy. All she wanted was someone to take her out of the shelter, feed her and love her. We give her food and affection and she wants nothing more.

While some shelter dogs have problems, there are many that were abandoned for one reason or another that just need love and a good home. I think the first stop in the search for a pet should be a shelter or humane society. They have so much love to give and are just looking for that love to be returned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter