For those of you that have added on recently do you do direct or resale?

edk35

DIS Veteran
Looking to add 50 points and the resale market is so much cheaper, but trying to find the same use year is difficult. I feel like direct would prove to be much faster, but the price per point is soooooo much higher. Just curious for those that add on do you just go for the easier route with direct or do you try and find a deal? Thanks!!!!

We absolutely did resale, for the cost. The points didn't take that much longer to get, and we bought at a time we didn't need them immediately. We also already had 'blue card' member privileges through previous purchase, though, so resale points for us was just about the points. For some, buying direct is because they want some of the perks direct members can get.

Looking to add 50 points and the resale market is so much cheaper, but trying to find the same use year is difficult. I feel like direct would prove to be much faster, but the price per point is soooooo much higher. Just curious for those that add on do you just go for the easier route with direct or do you try and find a deal? Thanks!!!!
3 Direct contracts here. The ease of process and the almost instant availability of your points to us is worth the extra money. If you can make it work with your UY to where you get the ‘free’ points to bank it makes it even better … plus no restrictions on those 50 …

We absolutely did resale, for the cost. The points didn't take that much longer to get, and we bought at a time we didn't need them immediately. We also already had 'blue card' member privileges through previous purchase, though, so resale points for us was just about the points. For some, buying direct is because they want some of the perks direct members can get.
We are direct members too. I look back when we first purchased in 2007 and we paid I think 99 a pt. at SSR. It is crazy how high the direct prices are.

3 Direct contracts here. The ease of process and the almost instant availability of your points to us is worth the extra money. If you can make it work with your UY to where you get the ‘free’ points to bank it makes it even better … plus no restrictions on those 50 …
Have you added on recently?

We mostly have done direct add-ons. It is really easy for smaller contracts, but with that said, now that our "home" is once again sold out we are finished with direct for a while. We did add a resale contract at a different resort with a different use year. I think having it be a different resort makes it easier to keep track of

Started the purchase of a small Direct (35) because wanted an odd number and to be able to use direct points at Disneyland Hotel. Once had the points (which allowed us to see in real time when DLH had rooms open) realized just like Grand Californian it had terrible availability unless it was the Home Resort - was not willing to pay for DLH as a Home Resort due to high "effective" membership fees of ($9.53 plus 2.73 transient tax) per point per year compared to most of the other resorts. Went back to buying a few more Resale points and happily pocketed the difference instead. Just be patient, what you are looking for "should" turn up, and luckily, a few extra $/point to purchase is not much at 50 points lol.

Be aware direct might get you the current (ie: before next UY anniversary) points, which not all resale do... and that can change your calculations. I think you'd want to decide about Direct a month or so before your UY date to be safe?

Last edited:
We are planning on adding 50 more Riviera points this summer and will do it direct. We’re specific about the number we want to add and are too impatient to wait for a resale. We’ll also buy before our UY to get those bonus points!

We added a direct contract of 60pts at VGF last year. We only had resale points at SSR. We bought SSR resale to use at different resorts every trip. I decided to add on to VGF bc it is my favorite resort. I got 60pts over 50 bc the studios are so point heavy. I figured with banking or borrowing I can do a long weekend in a studio, while alternating longer stays in bigger rooms using SSR. We added last year right before a price increase so I think it was $207 a point? I think I rented about 57 points out the first year since it came with the current points that I didn’t need.

I chose direct bc VGF was back on sale, small contracts weren’t easy to come by, especially with an Oct. use year, plus small contracts usually weren’t that much cheaper. I also wanted some direct points to have the ability to book new resorts as they opened.

We ended up adding another 150 direct points over the summer when the prices dropped. I think we have enough points for our family right now, but would buy direct again if I wanted points at a new, currently selling resort. If I was looking for an older, sold out resort I’d probably buy resale. We have learned what we want in a dvc resort so I would now only buy resale at my favorite resorts vs. something like SSR which we use to sample all resorts.

Closing costs can be $300-400 more on a resale and also some have admin fees up to $225.
I would say that still may not bridge the gap to direct but make sure you are comparing apples to apples

Closing costs can be $300-400 more on a resale and also some have admin fees up to $225.
I would say that still may not bridge the gap to direct but make sure you are comparing apples to apples
I believe Direct for a small add on was still about $370 in closing costs (not including any Maintenance Fees).

I know www.fidelityrealestate.com had a $225 "admin fee" they add, perhaps others here can give you a head's up as to who else adds that fee on top of the normal closing costs. Escrow companies have different charges too - per www.DVCbyresale.com a 50 point in Florida (CA and HI likely differ in pricing and who you can use) with Jeffrey Sweet https://www.ormondlegal.com/meet-the-team is $465, while First American www.firstam.com is $595. There are others, of course, I'm just showing a couple prices to show they differ.

Whether Direct makes you pay for Maintenance Fees for current year would change your costs too. I'm not certain, but "think" they did not charge me for current Maintenance Fees, so all my current points would have been "free."

You can negotiate who pays current year fees in Resale, just like you can negotiate the deposit amount, and who handles the escrow - but you need to be clear on those items when you make the offer. I'm guessing Direct is whatever they say it is lol.

We are direct members too. I look back when we first purchased in 2007 and we paid I think 99 a pt. at SSR. It is crazy how high the direct prices are.
Don't really have anything to add here.

Just wanted to say RTR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter