For the weather pros out there - Tropical Storm Danny?

I'm not concerned about safety, I know Orlando is not a usual place for a hurricane to hit. I'm just hoping that our vacation isn't a wash out. I have no problem with the normal August storms, we throw on our ponchos and go.

I actually wasn't referring to the safety aspect either, but the fact that staying at Disney in the rare event of a hurricane, (last 4 were back to back in 2004) that you would be comfortable there. :)

Have a great time!

If it (the eye) gets anywhere near Florida .. probably the worst that would happen is a LOT of rain for a day or two from the outer bands of it.

I live in coastal NC and we've had low category hurricanes/tropical storms "hit" relatively near us and it basically is just 24 hours of rain/wind. Unless it is a high category one or directly makes landfall near you, it shouldn't be an issue, especially on something so far inland.

I am going next week as well and hopefully it won't cause any all-day rains. That could ruin change the plans for the day, but at least keep it cool! :)

We leave September 3rd AM and fly back September 7th PM. With such little time, I really hope that this whole thing blows over before we get there. I can handle a day of storms but I don't want to lose September 3rd since we're planning for a mostly full park day.

I live on the east coast of South Florida, and my biggest concern wouldn't be being "stuck" at Disney during a hurricane.

No... the worst possible thing would be losing power next week at the exact moment when my 60 day FP+ window opens :scared: (I'm kidding... kinda... maybe... I need a TSMM and 7DMT dang it!!!)

I'll be keeping an eye on it. As a former resident of New Orleans (not during Katrina thankfully) I tend to pay close attention to Hurricanes no matter where landfall is predicted.
Thank you to the Orlando locals for your words of advise on Danny.
As the weather forecasts develop I look forward to hearing more from folks who have useful info. The Map of hurricane tracks was particularly helpful.

I live on the east coast of South Florida, and my biggest concern wouldn't be being "stuck" at Disney during a hurricane.

No... the worst possible thing would be losing power next week at the exact moment when my 60 day FP+ window opens :scared: (I'm kidding... kinda... maybe... I need a TSMM and 7DMT dang it!!!)

I also live in South Florida, and I too share your concern about losing power, just not as because FP+ but rather because of the heat and humidity with lack of AC (AC went out for a few hours earlier this week, and I was just miserable; would hate going through that for days, which we have done before during the 2004/5 hurricanes).

If it (the eye) gets anywhere near Florida .. probably the worst that would happen is a LOT of rain for a day or two from the outer bands of it.

I live in coastal NC and we've had low category hurricanes/tropical storms "hit" relatively near us and it basically is just 24 hours of rain/wind. Unless it is a high category one or directly makes landfall near you, it shouldn't be an issue, especially on something so far inland.

I've been through a number of hurricanes (including Cat 1), and my experience was not quite the same as yours. While TSs are fine, once it gets to hurricane level, you wouldn't catch me dead outside! Regardless, my guess is that we'll see this dissipate or turn south. Doubtful this will even come near South Florida, let a lone Orlando. That said, I'll be in WDW the later half of the week, so let's just hope that trip doesn't go on longer than it's planned. I'm prepping for a move to Chicago on the fourth, and a hurricane is the last thing I need.

I also live in South Florida, and I too share your concern about losing power, just not as because FP+ but rather because of the heat and humidity with lack of AC (AC went out for a few hours earlier this week, and I was just miserable; would hate going through that for days, which we have done before during the 2004/5 hurricanes).

I've been through a number of hurricanes (including Cat 1), and my experience was not quite the same as yours. While TSs are fine, once it gets to hurricane level, you wouldn't catch me dead outside! Regardless, my guess is that we'll see this dissipate or turn south. Doubtful this will even come near South Florida, let a lone Orlando. That said, I'll be in WDW the later half of the week, so let's just hope that trip doesn't go on longer than it's planned. I'm prepping for a move to Chicago on the fourth, and a hurricane is the last thing I need.

LOL . .oh for sure .. you won't want to be outside (simply due to wind and flooding), but I guess my point is that it won't be "evacuation" level type of issue unless it hits dead on.

Latest update received at work:
A peak intensity of 80 mph is expected in about 48 hours. Winds are forecast to be near 75 mph when Danny moves through the Leeward Islands early Monday. Conditions in the Caribbean are expected to be more hostile. A combination of wind shear, dry air and land interaction will lead to significant weakening in 5 to 7 days. We are forecasting Danny to become a remnant low near eastern Cuba in 6 to 7 days. After Danny likely weakens to a remnant low in 6 to 7 days, regeneration would be unlikely. Therefore, we think that there is little to no threat to the Gulf of Mexico or southeastern United States.

Next update at 4PM.

LOL . .oh for sure .. you won't want to be outside (simply due to wind and flooding), but I guess my point is that it won't be "evacuation" level type of issue unless it hits dead on.

Oh, completely misunderstood. No, definitely no evacuation; I wouldn't be canceling my plans.

I arrived in WDW just as katrina passed florida, it's feeling very deja vu with this storm. On one side, I'm crossing my fingers as so many people canceled and the place was a ghost town for a full week and a vacation we can never recreate (or is it?). On another side, I remember the mixed emotions of that trip trying to make my daughters first trip to disney magical but returning to the resort to see the struggle of new orleans.

I'm not canceling or moving unless there's no way to get there or they are on the edge of evactuating.

It's too early to tell. We live in Se Texas, on the Gulf Coast. I work in a chemical plant and am on the hurricane "First Back Team". We went thru Hurricane Katrina on my bday 2005, Hurricane Rita a month later in 2005 and Hurricane Ike 2008. We're watching this thing like a hawk, LOL. So it's a little refreshing to see others have an eye on it. Hubby thinks I'm paranoid.

I live in SE Texas too. Though I don't work in a chemical plant I live between two of them :) I really hate this time of year....we have gone a couple of years with out any trouble and I'm just hoping we can go a couple of more :) I can only imagine how stressful hurricanes can be for you guys working in the plants!!!

We're departing Port Canaveral on Monday--Tuesday at Castaway Cay--- Wednesday at Sea--- Thursday at Castaway Cay--- Friday back at Port Canaveral.

Keep your phone charged and a person in another state as backup on call for the possibility. I agree - being stuck at Disney is the ONLY place I want to be during a hurricane. I've been down there through Andrew, Ivan and another one I can't remember.

If that happens can you just do it on your phone and use data? If you have a smart phone.

I would die if that happened to me!

I live on the Alabama gulf coast and will drive down 9/2 - 9/7. Not concerned about being in Orlando. I will be concerned about Danny if he reforms in the Gulf. Decision then is stay home, weather out the storm or come home days later to storm damage.

#GoawayDanny.

Latest update received at work:
A peak intensity of 80 mph is expected in about 48 hours. Winds are forecast to be near 75 mph when Danny moves through the Leeward Islands early Monday. Conditions in the Caribbean are expected to be more hostile. A combination of wind shear, dry air and land interaction will lead to significant weakening in 5 to 7 days. We are forecasting Danny to become a remnant low near eastern Cuba in 6 to 7 days. After Danny likely weakens to a remnant low in 6 to 7 days, regeneration would be unlikely. Therefore, we think that there is little to no threat to the Gulf of Mexico or southeastern United States.

Next update at 4PM.

This is consistent with the different reports I've been looking at. The general consensus across several models is major weakening in about 5 days and very unlikely to regenerate.

I'll keep an eye on this one (we fly down Aug 29th), but at this point I'm not very concerned.

I live in SE Texas too. Though I don't work in a chemical plant I live between two of them :) I really hate this time of year....we have gone a couple of years with out any trouble and I'm just hoping we can go a couple of more :) I can only imagine how stressful hurricanes can be for you guys working in the plants!!!

I dread this time of year. My bday is the 29th. It seems like we have something to watch every year around this time. It can get stressful at work watching a storm's projected path. But since Ike we have built a very strong response team. Our site sits on the Sabine River and we took on over 3ft of water during Ike. I don't ever want to deal with that again,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter