For the weather pros out there - Tropical Storm Danny?

CounselorX

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone... Maybe it's too early to tell, but what does everyone think about the storm system which will be a hurricane and approaching Puerto Rico around Monday? I'm a self-proclaimed tornado expert but have no clue when it comes to hurricanes, lol, but we'll be in WDW from Aug 22nd to Sep 5th and I would rather not get hit by a hurricane :)

Here is the link: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day?large#contents

Way too early to tell. As seen in this map of 2012 hurricanes, a storm starting in Danny's position could stay out to sea, hit Florida, hit Mexico, or simply dissipate.

tracks-at-2012.png

Way too early to tell. As seen in this map of 2012 hurricanes, a storm starting in Danny's position could stay out to sea, hit Florida, hit Mexico, or simply dissipate.

Thanks for this. I was just getting ready to look up historical paths.

This just caught my attention too! The words "...could be a hurricane by Thursday...". :faint: We're flying down this Sunday and will be there until Sept 1st.

A couple of weeks ago I made the decision to buy travel insurance. I've been on "hurricane cruises" before, and have even been at Disney World during a shirt-lived hurricane.

Let's all hope that "Danny" stays way out at sea!!! ::yes::

It's too early to tell. We live in Se Texas, on the Gulf Coast. I work in a chemical plant and am on the hurricane "First Back Team". We went thru Hurricane Katrina on my bday 2005, Hurricane Rita a month later in 2005 and Hurricane Ike 2008. We're watching this thing like a hawk, LOL. So it's a little refreshing to see others have an eye on it. Hubby thinks I'm paranoid.

Even if it hits Florida - the odds of it significantly impacting Orlando are extremely small. I'm going down on Thursday and staying till Sept 5 - not worried about it at all

Orlando hasn't been hit by a hurricane since 2004. We've had a couple of tropical storms since then (Wilma and Faye), but the chances of a hit are slim. Prior to 2004, Orlando hadn't experienced a hurricane in 40 years. The odds are with you!

At this point the storm is as likely to hit Mexico or Greenland as it is to hit Florida.

After watching the latest updates, the little cool front moving South should keep TS Danny to the South of all of. It's still way to early to tell, and this is just my opinion.

We'll be arriving on the 20th and I've been watching this too. We were in Dis during Tropical storm Faye and it rain so hard everyday. We still had fun, but don't want a repeat of all that rain!

Watching Danny too. Imo so far it looks like it might just stay south. It's moving slowwww. It looks to be gaining strength but still moving very slow. I just saw that they don't expect it to move very far over the next 5 days. Wait and watch and pray.

We are leaving Sept 1...hoping for a good weather trip...we have a fireworks cruise booked during the trip...hoping for clear skies.

Back in my very early teens I went to WDW during a tropical depression that seemed to sit over the Orlando area, the whole time we were on vacation. We never saw the sun...the rides were up and the parks were dead...I have a distinct memory of riding space mountain over and over, just running around the building and through the lines and walking right in.

I did get athlete's foot for the first time ever in my life, because of constantly wet feet..THAT was very uncomfortable...if you have a overly rainy trip, I'd suggest (based on my experiences) water proofing sneakers and lots of pairs of socks or shoes that dry very quickly, or 2-3 pairs of shoes...wet socks are icky! lol!

Besides that I'd go to the parks like normal. I would not worry about a poncho if it is going to be constant rain with high humidity, because ponchos just make me feel hot, sweaty and trap way too much humidity. Either way, you are going to be wet. I'd prefer the rain....sweaty drowned rat or just drowned rat...your choice! LOL!

oh.. and avoid wearing denim shorts. They turn into heavy wet denim never-seeming-to-dry shorts...Let's just say "avoid the chafe".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter