For the record: He's an American.

When an American team is here playing hockey, it's a Canadian singing both anthems. Where's the outrage then?

There's not. The outrage is because of his clothing. It's too "Mexican". There wouldn't be an outrage if he was wearing "American" clothing. (Just my thoughts)

He is a mariachi singer dressed in his costume. No one would bat an eye if it was Kiss in full makeup, an athlete in uniform, etc.

I personally hope we see/hear more from this young man!

Well I do find it disrespectful he sung the AMERICAN anthem wearing Mexican mariachi band clothing. How would they feel if we had a american down in mexico wearing a huge american flag shirt or suit. That's the only part I didn't like. He's got a amazing voice!

I personally wouldn't care IF he was from another country and sang the anthem. Some people are just pathetic.

That is awful. I hate to break the news to people, but I read stupid, cruel, nasty ignorant comments on twitter or in the comments section online all the time. I am not sure why abc chose to make this news or shine a spotlight on those hateful tweets. For some reason, twitter is notorious for this kind of garbage. I recently read a ton of ugly tweets from people regarding the blk forest fire. People said things like, "co deserves it. Burn greenies. Who cares abt a bunch or rich people losing their homes" etc. it is hurtful, but that is what some people do. There are malicious people out there who think it is fun to be that way online.

Well I do find it disrespectful he sung the AMERICAN anthem wearing Mexican mariachi band clothing. How would they feel if we had a american down in mexico wearing a huge american flag shirt or suit. That's the only part I didn't like. He's got a amazing voice!

Um he is American. And there are plenty of American mariachi singers.

Why on earth would you find that disrespectful? "They" who's "they?"

Would a girl in traditional Irish Feis dress singing the national anthem be seen as "disrespectful." Somehow I doubt it.

Hey, at least he was dressed. Unlike some pop singers when they show up to sing the National Anthem wearing outfits that leave nothing to the imagination.

Who is "they"? Mexicans? The kid is not Mexican, he's American.

Also, your comparison makes no sense. The kid is an American in America, not a Mexican in America. So why compare him to an American in Mexico? :confused3

Would it be a problem if he was wearing an Italian pride shirt or a french beret ? Somehow , I think not.... The kid is an American,

Fact: The kid is a U.S. citizen born in the U.S.

Fact: Mexico used to own the land that he sang the national anthem

Fact: Most "Americans" were born of immigrants at one time, unless you're part of one of the many Native American tribes....oh, and the odds are he has deeper roots in North America than most people giving their uneducated opinions.

IMHO--that's a bit narrow minded. He wasn't wearing a Mexican FLAG, for heaven's sakes!!! He wore a costume. I truly don't get what the big deal is in how he was dressed. If I wear an angel costume, would you assume I'm from heaven? Just as silly to assume that someone dressed in a Mariachi outfit MUST be a foreigner and therefore is being disrespectful:confused3 signing our national anthem. Oh, and Rosanne Barr was truly disrespectful when SHE sang (caterwalled) the anthem several years ago!

There are a ton of ignorant, hateful people who hide behind their mask of anonymity through twitter (and all over the internet). If you pay attention to every outrageous thing they say, it could really kill your faith in the human spirit. I learned that lesson after reading an article sharing hundreds of tweets made on MLK day.

Fact: The kid is a U.S. citizen born in the U.S.

Fact: Mexico used to own the land that he sang the national anthem

Fact: Most "Americans" were born of immigrants at one time, unless you're part of one of the many Native American tribes....oh, and the odds are he has deeper roots in North America than most people giving their uneducated opinions.

FYI, Mexico controlled Texas for 15 measly years. That's a pretty brief period. And Texas was largely settled by Anglos because Mexicans really didn't want to live that far away in an area where running into hostile Indians was a normal day. That's why the Mexican government invited Anglos to settle......They were essentially the only ones interested in coming.

I really don't think it is important who used to own the land or the reason many years ago why Anglos settled in the land in the first place.

We are a nation made up of a lot of different cultures. The Mexican culture is predominant in the southwest. That young boy wore an outfit that he is used to wearing when he performs, and he did an outstanding job in singing our national anthem.

He comes from San Antonio, where I live too and how he was dressed totally represented San Antonio. We love our mariachis. From the river walk downtown to some high school graduations to weddings and Quinceañeras, you'll find mariachis. I remember a few years ago, seeing Audio Adrenaline on concert and for a few of their songs, they had mariachis accompanying them. Here in San Antonio, that's American culture. Sebastien did a great job and I am so proud to see him representing San Antonio.

Most of the haters probably wouldn't enjoy San Antonio. It's got some spice to it that makes the average racist uncomfortable. It's really sad.

FYI, Mexico controlled Texas for 15 measly years. That's a pretty brief period. And Texas was largely settled by Anglos because Mexicans really didn't want to live that far away in an area where running into hostile Indians was a normal day. That's why the Mexican government invited Anglos to settle......They were essentially the only ones interested in coming.

Conveniently ignoring the 300 years that Mexico was a Spanish colony and the condition of the land grants that the settlers convert to Catholicism and become Mexican citizens.

Conveniently ignoring the 300 years that Mexico was a Spanish colony and the condition of the land grants that the settlers convert to Catholicism and become Mexican citizens.

And Mexico took the area from Spain. And the Spanish took it from.....Well, you know. And so it goes. Simply put, Mexico was under the leadership of a ruthless dictator, never established a firm foothold in Texas due to few Mexicans wanting to move to the region and when they found themselves holding the area in name only, they could not hold on to it. Plenty of Mexicans fought on the Texas side as they had no love for Santa Anna either. He wasn't Mr. Popular.

Yes, the people of Texas were Mexican citizens who chose to change that fact. Just as the people of the American colonies were British citizens. They didn't stay that way either. It happens, often for the better.

Whatever the history, tensions are high in Texas these days. My family has been here since before the revolution and the changes I have seen in the past ten years do not bode well for Texas. People used to get along a lot better, for a variety of reasons.

Why on earth would it matter if he were a Mexican citizen?

He's got a great voice. He sang the song well and respectfully.

I'm a US citizen who lives in the UK. Is it disrespectful if I sing "God Save the Queen"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter