? for SD owners

disneynewman

DIS Veteran
We have decided to go to WDW the last week of June, when the kids get out of school but I am little worried about our SD. Our plan is to go to the parks at opening and leave when it gets too hot for swimming and then head back to the parks late afternoon.
Have any of you toured in the summer months with your SD? Any tips?

We have decided to go to WDW the last week of June, when the kids get out of school but I am little worried about our SD. Our plan is to go to the parks at opening and leave when it gets too hot for swimming and then head back to the parks late afternoon.
Have any of you toured in the summer months with your SD? Any tips?

I have toured with Cash in all Disney seasons and always packed, as medically necessary Service dog equipment (as it doesn't count against your luggage allowance set by the airlines) the following items:

One dozen bottles of water to mix gradually with the local water to prevent canine stomach upset.
A bag of dog food. I tried cans once but Cash decided he preferred dry food while traveling (the tag fairy from the Disboards tagged my DIS i.d with the reminder NOT to forget the can opener, bless her heart).

Two foldable water dishes (they tend to get a little strange smelling if allowed to stay damp. I alternate them and launder frequently with a non-perfumed soap.
A foldable food dish. Sometimes you will be touring when the scheduled feeding time rolls around so you will want to take dog food dinner to the park just in case...lots of bottled water, too...Cash really reacted badly to the local water ... a Service Dog with a case of diarrhea is a terrible experience!
Some sort of first aid kit... wax or something for your dog's feet, benedryl, immodium or pepto bismol, as recommended by your vet.
A set of dog booties...MANDATORY for treading on acres of hot asphalt (a backup set would be prudent unless you want to keep your dog's feet in sight at all times, constantly counting 1,2,3,4, all there...
Take care of your dog's feet and tummy and it will be happier. If you use a dog harness take a repair kit. Pack a separate bag for your dog so all the dog stuff is together and pray the airlines don't lose that bag. Label it as medical supplies.Have a great trip!:cloud9:

We live in Orlando so my black lab SD is out and about during the entire summer and we frequently stay at WDW to tour the parks. It will be difficult for you, esp. if your dog isn't used to heat. Dogs cannot perspire and can overheat very quickly and die very quickly from overheating. Her trainer told us to offer ice frequently ( cools down quicker and longer than just water ) and if she seems hot, to splash water under her belly ( the part without fur) as it would cool her down more quickly. You'll need to avoid black pavement- your SD will let you know about it as he/she quickly hops from one foot to the other due to burning paws. I say it's doable, but when we tour in the summer we are only out for a couple of hours. Be prepared for other guests to chastise you as we often have that experience ( "you're torturing that poor dog.." your dog is going to die out here!", etc ) You definitely won't be able to maintain a "normal" pace of walking/touring. I ran into another guest once who got her golden from the same organization as mine. She wasn't used to the Florida summer heat and kept her in the kennel as her dog was noticeably suffering and they couldn't enjoy the trip due to their concern for her safety and comfort. Then she had a problem as she is blind and mobility impaired but fortunately had another adult to do the tasks her SD would normally do for her. I think both of them had severe separation anxiety! I'm being honest - but if you're willing to take it slow and watch your SD for signs that he/she isn't comfortable and either go into an a/c building, rest in first aid, or return to the resort where he/she can rest in the room it's certainly possible to visit, but it just it isn't the optimal time to visit with a SD. Also remember the summer rain in Florida- you might be returning to the resort with a very soggy dog. I bring a microfiber towel along just in case, which has saved me quite a few times. For any trip, be sure to bring along the first aid kit Lynda mentioned with meds for possible diarrhea or allergies, plus food, a few treats, and a water bowl to bring daily to the parks you'll visit.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter