• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For Disneyland wheelchair users...

misskari

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are considering buying a DVC contract at the Disneyland Hotel, we were originally thinking resale, which has restrictions that if you buy a resale contract, you can only use the points at the Disneyland Hotel. However, my little girl is 7 yrs old and in a wheelchair.

How wheelchair friendly is DL park, in your opinion? Is it a pain, and hard to move through with the narrower walkways (as people are more compressed). I know they have to meet ADA regulations but still. (I'm not concerned about California Adventure at all).

I don't want to make a huge purchase if it will be a big pain in the butt for her. I'd rather we spend the extra money to buy direct points, which we could then use anywhere. (we need DLH specifically as we need 11th-month book window to book 2BR rooms at 11 months - as those rooms are in very short supply). But buying direct is a lot more expensive.

Thanks for your help in 1st hand experience with DL park in a chair.

Just to clarify, the Disneyland Hotel DVC property doesn’t really have resale yet (or those people are REALLY regretting their purchase from a month or two ago), and if you buy resale elsewhere you would be locked out of the Disneyland Hotel. So if you are interested in a Cali property you can either buy the Disneyland hotel (the one in active sale now) direct or buy something else resale with the hopes of being able to stay at Grand Californian. Just know that 7m reservations there can be really hard to come by.

I travel to Disneyland with my Mom using a wheelchair all the time. We are locals with passes so several times a month (usually on weekends). The wheelchair is not too bad at all in the crowds. No worse than Magic Kingdom in WDW if you ask me. There are some narrower paths that can be pain points, but not too many are that narrow. Disneyland has removed some of the biggest spots that were tight to make them easier to pass. My only wish would be to make the parks flatter ---- I never realized how many small hills are in the parks until pushing the wheelchair. There are a lot more lines that the wheelchair will not be able to go through (especially in Fantasyland) in Disneyland than the other parks.

I travel to Disneyland with my Mom using a wheelchair all the time. We are locals with passes so several times a month (usually on weekends). The wheelchair is not too bad at all in the crowds. No worse than Magic Kingdom in WDW if you ask me. There are some narrower paths that can be pain points, but not too many are that narrow. Disneyland has removed some of the biggest spots that were tight to make them easier to pass. My only wish would be to make the parks flatter ---- I never realized how many small hills are in the parks until pushing the wheelchair. There are a lot more lines that the wheelchair will not be able to go through (especially in Fantasyland) in Disneyland than the other parks.
Thanks so much for your input! Am I correct in assuming that for these queue lines you go through the Genie+ lane (as you would if using DAS?)

Thanks so much for your input! Am I correct in assuming that for these queue lines you go through the Genie+ lane (as you would if using DAS?)

You will be given a return time. Most of these rides I am thinking of do not have a Lightening Lane. If you can walk a short distance, they will merge you into the line near the front. If unable to walk or stand, you will be led in through the exit of the ride for the most part (rides like Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice, Pinnochio, Casey Jr, Storybook Land Canal, Mr Toad Pirates, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise). A few may use a LL too like Haunted (only to a certain point).

Do you know where there might be a list of those? I’m very familiar with WDW but this will be my first time in Disneyland with my electric wheelchair. Ive been trying to look for accessibility on all the rides and I’m seeing a lot of mist transfer , which is not a problem, or must transfer from EVC to wheelchair. But I know that there are some rides that will require a return time. My son has autism so we will most likely have DAS for him, and I know I’ve had problems in WDW when we’ve been using DAS for him but also need a return time for me because of accessibility and would like to get a game plan ahead of time.

Do you know where there might be a list of those? I’m very familiar with WDW but this will be my first time in Disneyland with my electric wheelchair. Ive been trying to look for accessibility on all the rides and I’m seeing a lot of mist transfer , which is not a problem, or must transfer from EVC to wheelchair. But I know that there are some rides that will require a return time. My son has autism so we will most likely have DAS for him, and I know I’ve had problems in WDW when we’ve been using DAS for him but also need a return time for me because of accessibility and would like to get a game plan ahead of time.

Honestly, we use a DAS too and never had an issue with the DAS return time in the app for the return to any ride that also has wheelchair return time. We still scan in and they ask if my mom can walk a short distance or if we need to take the wheelchair all the way in.

We go to WDW about once a year and I can’t tell you how many times cast members have cancelled my sons DAS return time when setting up a wheelchair return time despite that they are 2 separate things. Most of the time, they graciously fix it. But it is super frustrating that it happens at least once a trip.

We go to WDW about once a year and I can’t tell you how many times cast members have cancelled my sons DAS return time when setting up a wheelchair return time despite that they are 2 separate things. Most of the time, they graciously fix it. But it is super frustrating that it happens at least once a trip.

Oh yeah - never tried that. We just use the DAS to book return times. Getting a wheelchair and a DAS at the same time, that just sounds like double dipping and feels icky to me.

If a member of your party has a DAS and another member needs a wheelchair return time, you really only need to do one not both as long as you plan to ride together. Unless you have a larger party or plan to split up. If arriving with a DAS Return Time, they should immediately direct you to the accessible entrance. Does that not happen?

If a member of your party has a DAS and another member needs a wheelchair return time, you really only need to do one not both as long as you plan to ride together. Unless you have a larger party or plan to split up. If arriving with a DAS Return Time, they should immediately direct you to the accessible entrance. Does that not happen?

I am a Disneyland local and that is exactly how it works. We use the DAS and show up with a wheelchair and are shown the accessible entrance.

I know this post is a few months old, but I thought this info might still be useful as we continue into the busy holiday season.

Not sure about an exact list, but it’s almost shorter to list the rides that have WC accessible lines:
•Tiki Room
•Matterhorn
(they will pull you out when the extended line reaches the point where it divides into the two sides, and goes into the covered sections of the queue. You’ll be taken to the Fantasyland side to board. If you want to ride the other side, I’m not sure how they do it… the two sides are different, so I’m sure there’s a procedure, but I’ve never done it.)
•Autopia (mostly accessible— they’ll take you to the elevator and send the rest of your party down the stairs to meet you.)
• Small World (line was redone and is now fully accessible until right before load.)
• Rise of Resistance & Millennium Falcon
•Winnie the Pooh
•Mickey & Minne’s Runaway Railway
•Disneyland Railroad
(every station is accessible except for Main Street station which has no way to bypass the stairs)
Star Tours (the part of the line outside the main show bldg is accessible, when you get to the point of entering the bldg, they will direct you to park if possible, and if needed have you transfer to a standard wheelchair before proceeding thru a back entrance leading to an elevator.)
• Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters (usually directed by CM before final leg of queue leading to loading. If no one is standing there, you’ll see a door straight ahead right before the queue turns to the load area… the green & blue door has a wheelchair ♿️ clearly marked. Push the door open and there will be a CM right on the other side. You’ll be loading at the exit. I believe this ride has a wheelchair car, ask if you require that.)

All other rides in DLand will need a return time to be issued. (Fantasyland in particular has inaccessible lines.) You can request a time at the ride, or at any of the blue umbrellas found at multiple places around the park. You’ll find at least one in every land, although the exact location may vary slightly. Any CM should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter