For all of you worried that Happily Ever After won't be a good replacement for Wishes

It just shows how subjective all this is - I miss the old Illuminations terribly. I've never loved Illuminations: Reflections of Earth no matter how hard I try. I'll watch it if I'm there but it's not a must do for me. I adore Wishes so I'm hoping there isn't a Reflections of Earth situation for me when Happily Ever After starts!

I am SO GLAD I am not the only one who misses late 80s Illuminations! I keep reading people fawning over ROE, and I just don't get it, maybe they never experienced Illuminations 2.0 (there was that 1st one, that ran until 88?, that wasn't as good, but the 2nd, that was pure gold). That part of the show when the opening notes of Rhapsody in Blue starting playing and all the lasers focused in on the America Pavilion, that was magic. That was the show that introduced me to and sparked a love and appreciation of classical music. My kingdom to see it just one more time.

I watched a live stream of Wishes on Insta last night and the second the music started I began crying. I'm so sad we didn't make it down to see it one last time. Howver, the HEA video gave me a glimmer of hope that I will still feel the magic, and tingles, and chills.

Aww this gave me chills! I'm so excited. I didn't get to see wishes because this will be our first trip in June but this looks like it will be amazing! I'm so excited!

I watched a live stream of Wishes on Insta last night and the second the music started I began crying. I'm so sad we didn't make it down to see it one last time. Howver, the HEA video gave me a glimmer of hope that I will still feel the magic, and tingles, and chills.

If a 2 minute clip gave me chills and made me cry, I am certain the show in its entirety will!

Not a fan of the lead voices. Like the orchestral arrangement but the singers lack the emotional maturity to carry the piece IMO. Casting directly from Disney Channel pool.

I think this may have been what I was trying to articulate earlier in another thread but you say it so much better.

I am SO GLAD I am not the only one who misses late 80s Illuminations! I keep reading people fawning over ROE, and I just don't get it, maybe they never experienced Illuminations 2.0 (there was that 1st one, that ran until 88?, that wasn't as good, but the 2nd, that was pure gold). That part of the show when the opening notes of Rhapsody in Blue starting playing and all the lasers focused in on the America Pavilion, that was magic. That was the show that introduced me to and sparked a love and appreciation of classical music. My kingdom to see it just one more time.

I remember the original Illuminations, it was one of my best memories of when we went to WDW in the early 90's (we went in 1991 and 1994, so crazy enough, though we only went twice I saw both Journey into Imagination rides). It WAS wonderful, however I still like ROE too, in fact, crazy enough, i always liked it better than Wishes. I always felt Wishes was too sappy, it grew on me over the years and I like it and will miss it.

Jennifer

The first time I went to Epcot was May 2002. I distinctly remember the music was different from what it is now. They used a piece from Copland's Rodeo as part of the Illuminations soundtrack. It may have been a leftover from the Millennial Celebration which I never experienced. Anybody remember that?

I think Disney knocked it out of the park with the soundtrack alone. It is beautiful, inspirational, and very moving.

Thanks for this thread & videos! I can't wait! It looks amazing & like a great replacement to me! :)

WHOA! I just realized that when I went back in the early 90s that it was a different show then! Man, it's amazing how your slight description of it brought back the memories like crazy.

I still like ROE big time though. :goodvibes

I have to agree with those who were not exactly impressed with the singers. The music and lyrics are great, but their singing styles are not a good match; almost abrasive. Their performance does not float my emotional boat. :boat: When I'm standing in the MK in July, perhaps I will feel differently.

Wishes poster under the train station has been replaced
C_oUFByXUAAK9VR.jpg:large

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter