"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Well I got my answer, I’m in Polk county. Which the county lines around here look like a drunk with a etch a sketch. Lol. I am in one of the furthest part, closet to Orlando. The majority of it sits closer to Tampa.

I also found it somewhat annoying that Spectrum has all of the Polk County cable linked to Tampa. Our snowbird home is a bit further north than you, up near Champions Gate. I recall there is one Orlando TV channel, WFTV 9 ABC, buried in the zillions of available channels. I am sad to say it has been a while since we were there so I can't remember the Spectrum channel number. It was not full HD quality but good enough for watching the local news and weather. I also believe that the Orlando/Space Coast Spectrum news channel is available.

Here is a photo of my latest project, listen, someone has to sit in this chair. Lol
Its not as easy as it looks. Lol

Wonderful! Spoken like a true retiree! I gets even better when you do it January. Enjoy!

I also found it somewhat annoying that Spectrum has all of the Polk County cable linked to Tampa. Our snowbird home is a bit further north than you, up near Champions Gate. I recall there is one Orlando TV channel, WFTV 9 ABC, buried in the zillions of available channels. I am sad to say it has been a while since we were there so I can't remember the Spectrum channel number. It was not full HD quality but good enough for watching the local news and weather. I also believe that the Orlando/Space Coast Spectrum news channel is available.

Wonderful! Spoken like a true retiree! I gets even better when you do it January. Enjoy!
Lol. I just took the basic cable. I watch YouTube, DD watches Netflix and DW watches Netflix, two channels and the news, that comes out of Tampa. Lol
When we were driving around with the realtor looking at houses, every time we would get on a highway and it would be backed up, I would ask what is all that traffic from? My realtor would say, oh that’s just Champions gate. Lol
I4 backs up at the Champions Gate interchange all hours of the day but they got the ramps all torn up. I’m 7 miles west off I4, exit 55. We love it here! So quiet and it’s starting to feel like home. We should have done this years ago.

When we were driving around with the realtor looking at houses, every time we would get on a highway and it would be backed up, I would ask what is all that traffic from? My realtor would say, oh that’s just Champions gate. Lol

LOL.... yes, that entrance causes a lot of back up going northbound. And the the vehicles exiting breaks the traffic free going southbound in the afternoon.

We bought our place in early 2013. The recession was still in recovery and the traffic was not that bad. By the time I retired in 2015 the traffic had rebounded. And the building in that area had started back up. Houses and apartments keep popping up. And all of the traffic converges on Champions Gate.

I4 backs up at the Champions Gate interchange all hours of the day but they got the ramps all torn up.

I read they were planning to do a major rework on the Champions Gate exit. Including flyovers to reduce the congestion in Champions Gate. Given the existing building in the area I was never sure exactly how they were going to do it but it really needs to be improved. We avoid that area as much as possible. We have shifted most of our travels to and from Disney to backroads up to Sherberth Rd.

We love it here! So quiet and it’s starting to feel like home. We should have done this years ago.

Wonderful! I resisted Florida for many years. Even after we started our once then twice a year Disney vacations. Then, suddenly, right after an early December WDW visit, I found myself surfing Zillow. A few weeks later we contacted a realtor, made a quick real estate trip, and found a place we liked. Now we have a second home.

Quiet in here lately. I’ll be heading north in two weeks. Im kind of excited to make the drive again but I got use to driving to the airport. Lol
I will be heading up and back on the inland route. Hopefully the winter weather holds off.
Working like crazy on the house. It’s starting to look like home around here. We have gotten into the habit of taking a dip in the pool before dinner. I have never sat outside, eat outside more than I have in the last month.
Its taking some time to Disney the place but it’s coming along.

We are 31 days away from our next drive from Wisconsin, leaving early morning Black Friday (so no shopping deals for me). This will be our 5th drive to WDW and like 11th or 12th long distance road trip overall, and as any veteran of the road can tell you it's pretty much turn key now. Nothing really out of the ordinary; just follow my trusty pre-trip check list and everything will be good. My route has been decided. Hotels have been booked. Our snacks for the road and park have been purchased. I'm finalizing the packing lists now. I gave the car a thorough cleaning on Saturday, so now the rule is no dogs and no eating in the car for the next five weeks. I should hopefully just have to wipe down the dash that week and I should be good to go. (It would drive me nuts looking at a dusty dash on a 20-hour drive.) We'll get the oil changed in a couple weeks, and replace the wiper blades at the same time. Pretty much the only thing left to do is pack the suitcase, and endure the wait...

We are 31 days away from our next drive from Wisconsin, leaving early morning Black Friday (so no shopping deals for me). This will be our 5th drive to WDW and like 11th or 12th long distance road trip overall, and as any veteran of the road can tell you it's pretty much turn key now. Nothing really out of the ordinary; just follow my trusty pre-trip check list and everything will be good. My route has been decided. Hotels have been booked. Our snacks for the road and park have been purchased. I'm finalizing the packing lists now. I gave the car a thorough cleaning on Saturday, so now the rule is no dogs and no eating in the car for the next five weeks. I should hopefully just have to wipe down the dash that week and I should be good to go. (It would drive me nuts looking at a dusty dash on a 20-hour drive.) We'll get the oil changed in a couple weeks, and replace the wiper blades at the same time. Pretty much the only thing left to do is pack the suitcase, and endure the wait...
Have a safe trip. I’m the same way, I can’t travel in a dirty car. Lol
My wife and I just had that conversation last week. It’s great living 17 miles from the mouse, it’s been a life long dream and wouldn’t trade it for the world but, I lost one of my biggest hobbies. I always had two, three trips I was working on, planning everything, getting the Disney van ready, adr’s, fast passes etc. and now, “hey, wanna go to the Springs for dinner, sure let’s go.” And off we go.
No more planning, no more count downs, no more watching and tracking the weather.
My second hobby was house hunting. I spent years on Zillow and before that, thumbing through real estate magazines we would pick up in gas stations etc when we came down here. lol
I never gave any of that a thought. Lol
So Ive taken up walking, working on the house and taking dips in the pool.lol

My wife and I just had that conversation last week. It’s great living 17 miles from the mouse, it’s been a life long dream and wouldn’t trade it for the world but, I lost one of my biggest hobbies. I always had two, three trips I was working on, planning everything, getting the Disney van ready, adr’s, fast passes etc. and now, “hey, wanna go to the Springs for dinner, sure let’s go.” And off we go.
No more planning, no more count downs, no more watching and tracking the weather.
My second hobby was house hunting. I spent years on Zillow and before that, thumbing through real estate magazines we would pick up in gas stations etc when we came down here. lol
Went over to the Magic Kingdom this morning. Parked in the parking lot, walked to the Poly. Walked to the Grand. ( got a water) walked over to the Magic Kingdom. Met some friends from home and bought some Christmas presents and took the General Joe back to the TTC and walked back to the car and drove home. Beautiful day for a nice walk, no humidity, didn’t even break a sweat.

Went over to the Magic Kingdom this morning. Parked in the parking lot, walked to the Poly. Walked to the Grand. ( got a water) walked over to the Magic Kingdom. Met some friends from home and bought some Christmas presents and took the General Joe back to the TTC and walked back to the car and drove home. Beautiful day for a nice walk, no humidity, didn’t even break a sweat.
Are you still a DVC member? Or are you letting that go now that you are a local?

So jealous!!!

I have to smile at your words... I have had similar thoughts. It is an interesting transition from working to retirement. Though I have a bit of a lazy trait that seems to have smoothed my transition. I also get out and walk the neighborhood every day I don't have another big activity planned.

Our winters near Disney have evolved over the years. At first they were very focused on Disney. The rest of the time was spent relaxing "on vacation" from the long to-do list we have up here in NH. Our Florida home is newer and needs a lot less work than our 37 year old NH home. We also have a lot of gardens up here and there is always something to be done outside. Our Florida landscaping is maintained by the HOA.

Then a friend introduced us to Give Kids the World. We immediately signed up and would do a shift there a couple times a week. Between GKTW and time at Disney we felt "busy enough". If you have any thoughts on volunteering it is a wonderful organization.

Recently, as we were isolating at home up north, I reactivated an old hobby, amateur radio. I have put together a modest station that gives me something to do whenever I am feeling bored. It is a good indoor winter activity.

As you get settled and connect with more folks around your new home I am sure you will find plenty of things to keep you busy. Safe travels on your upcoming trip.

Are you still a DVC member? Or are you letting that go now that you are a local?
No, we still have it. We are 22 years into it already. We are going to do long weekend trips and for the most part enjoy the resorts. We go to the parks but 99 percent of the time we eat and leave. Lol We like going to the resorts to eat and we are friends with a few bar tenders on property. Some even come to the house.…… now there’s a problem. Lol

I have to smile at your words... I have had similar thoughts. It is an interesting transition from working to retirement. Though I have a bit of a lazy trait that seems to have smoothed my transition. I also get out and walk the neighborhood every day I don't have another big activity planned.

Our winters near Disney have evolved over the years. At first they were very focused on Disney. The rest of the time was spent relaxing "on vacation" from the long to-do list we have up here in NH. Our Florida home is newer and needs a lot less work than our 37 year old NH home. We also have a lot of gardens up here and there is always something to be done outside. Our Florida landscaping is maintained by the HOA.

Then a friend introduced us to Give Kids the World. We immediately signed up and would do a shift there a couple times a week. Between GKTW and time at Disney we felt "busy enough". If you have any thoughts on volunteering it is a wonderful organization.

Recently, as we were isolating at home up north, I reactivated an old hobby, amateur radio. I have put together a modest station that gives me something to do whenever I am feeling bored. It is a good indoor winter activity.

As you get settled and connect with more folks around your new home I am sure you will find plenty of things to keep you busy. Safe travels on your upcoming trip.
We were In the Magic Kingdom last Saturday night. We both laughed because we can’t remember the last we were in the MK at night…. It’s been years. Lol
Im only 56, my wife is working till 62 so she has 6 years to go. My plan was never to retire. I took my retirement to do the move, get everything in order in the house. We have a service that does all the yard work, weeding, grass, edging and all. We also have a pool service. I don’t touch it. Lol
Im looking at a January time frame. I don’t know what I’m going to do but I need to go back to work. In another 6 years, when my wife retires, thats exactly what we are planning on doing. Maybe a part time job and do some volunteer work and maybe do some traveling. We use to “camp” for years at a campground in Pa., We also thought about spending summers up there. Buy a 36 foot trailer and spend time in our old stomping ground.
We are taking it one step at a time and just enjoying the ride we are on now.
We have to learn to slow down by then. Lol

The bolded part is 100% me. We only get to Disney about every 2-3 years, but I already have a couple non-Disney road trips in the pre-planning stage. Arizona next spring for Brewers spring training, west again in the next year or two to hit some national parks, another Disney trip somewhere in there too.

My wife is a life-long state employee, so she can retire at 55. I'll be a couple years behind her and hopefully retire at 60. We're 42 (her) and 44 (me), so we've got a few years to figure out what the next stage of our life is going to look like. But if I'm being honest with myself, it's pretty much what you've described. We'll probably end up being snowbirds because I do like Wisconsin spring and summer weather, it's just the cold and snow I can't stand. I imagine my winters will be spent in Florida, and summers in Wisconsin. And a whole lotta travelling. That's the dream, at least.

View attachment 620512
Good morning from, it’s only 70 degrees in the house, central Florida. Lol
sure didn’t take long to become a Floridian did it. Lol
Stay warm everyone!!
We were there for a short weekend trip and I wasn’t happy!!! It was basically the same temperature back home. I have never had to wear jeans and a sweatshirt in FL before.
At airport for flight home now. I am gonna be toast at school tomorrow. Sorry kids no learning today. JK

We were there for a short weekend trip and I wasn’t happy!!! It was basically the same temperature back home. I have never had to wear jeans and a sweatshirt in FL before.
At airport for flight home now. I am gonna be toast at school tomorrow. Sorry kids no learning today. JK
Oh I’ve been in winter coats already, a few times. The one December we had frost on the window at OKW. Have a picture of it somewhere.
This past weekend I think i heard on the news we were 20 degrees below normal. Friday night was miserable. But, don’t have to shovel rain. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter