"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

My sister and 3 daughters ages 6, 6 and 3 Left Minneapolis at 6p and currently somewhere in Illinois. Heading to loudon Tennessee to bunk with relatives Thursday night. Then on to POR. 1609 miles one way according to the google. Hoping the forecasted rain Friday isn’t too hard

Now that is a long haul! Makes my 1,100 miles seam easy!

Road rage shooting incident on I-4 tonight. The interstate was closed in one direction for a while but has since been reopened.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Road rage shooting incident on I-4 tonight. The interstate was closed in one direction for a while but has since been reopened.

Do you know what time it happened and where on I 4?
We were on I 4 around 9:00 last night.

I will be making the journey from NJ on 11/23 and return 12/1 Any advice?

A first time drive?

In any event, if you are taking I-95, avoid the greater DC area (southern MD and northern VA) during rush hour. Of course, driving on the day after Thanksgiving presents its own problems (at least it's not the day before Thanksgiving!).

If you are staying somewhere for one night, most reservations can be cancelled without charge prior to 6 p.m. [Plan ahead and check with the hotel.]

I-4 in FL is always a pain.

A first time drive?

In any event, if you are taking I-95, avoid the greater DC area (southern MD and northern VA) during rush hour. Of course, driving on the day after Thanksgiving presents its own problems (at least it's not the day before Thanksgiving!).

If you are staying somewhere for one night, most reservations can be cancelled without charge prior to 6 p.m. [Plan ahead and check with the hotel.]

I-4 in FL is always a pain.

Thank you! Yes, we will be traveling I-95. We are about 30 mins from the Delaware Memorial Bridge and plan on leaving by 3am Friday. The plan is to drive straight through, arriving in the Disney area sometime Friday evening. We will be staying the night off site and then checking into our Disney Resort on Saturday.

About to make our seventh drive from Buffalo, NY to Disney this weekend and couldn't be more excited!
SO, on the way home 11/17, we will be stopping somewhere in the South Carolina area and I was wondering which area all of you prefer (taking the I-77 route at that point). We have stayed in Blythewood, SC, Mooresville, NC, and last trip we stayed at Orangeburg, SC (we drove straight through one trip).
I was thinking about those areas and maybe even Rock Hill, SC. What are some of the nicest stops along that path as far as hotels go? Where can we stay that isn't super expensive but still a nice area. Any suggestions other than what we have already done?

Thank you!

About to make our seventh drive from Buffalo, NY to Disney this weekend and couldn't be more excited!
SO, on the way home 11/17, we will be stopping somewhere in the South Carolina area and I was wondering which area all of you prefer (taking the I-77 route at that point). We have stayed in Blythewood, SC, Mooresville, NC, and last trip we stayed at Orangeburg, SC (we drove straight through one trip).
I was thinking about those areas and maybe even Rock Hill, SC. What are some of the nicest stops along that path as far as hotels go? Where can we stay that isn't super expensive but still a nice area. Any suggestions other than what we have already done?

Thank you!

We have stayed in Orangeburg and Charlotte, mostly because of the Cheesecake Factory - I'd go as far north as I could. Back in February we were at Mooresville NC at the
Hampton Inn & Suites Mooresville/Lake Norman - we love anywhere that has free breakfast.

My sister and 3 daughters ages 6, 6 and 3 Left Minneapolis at 6p and currently somewhere in Illinois. Heading to loudon Tennessee to bunk with relatives Thursday night. Then on to POR. 1609 miles one way according to the google. Hoping the forecasted rain Friday isn’t too hard

Left on nov 2 for the return trip about 9a. Usual slowdown near Atlanta but still pulled Into hotel in Nashville about 10p. Back on road at 8:30a and was in my bed at 12:30 in Minneapolis. The drive was exceptionally uneventful on the way back. Felt like all of Indiana was under construction on the way down.

Starting to freak out a little bit!!! We leave in 2 weeks. We check in the Saturday after Thanksgiving 11/24. We are driving from NJ (about 16hrs) the plan is to leave at 3am Friday morning, drive straight through, arriving in the Disney area sometime Friday evening. We will be staying offsite that night. Anyway. I’m afraid of hitting holiday traffic!! Are people going to be out on the roads the day after Thanksgiving heading back home? I originally thought traffic would be low since most people are off work the day after Thanksgiving. Ugh! Everyone says we should leave earlier, like after Thanksgiving dinner and drive through the night or at least as far as we can go. I honestly wasn’t keen on this from the start because I know I will NOT be able to sleep in a car and I’m afraid my kids won’t either. Everyone says they are kids they will eventually fall asleep. ‍♀️ I don’t know what to do! Should we leave the night before or stick with our original plan? Any advice? Thank you!

We are leaving from west of Toronto on November 23! third time driving down. leaving at about 3am and stopping for 1 night in Byron GA which is about 15.5 hours from us, which leaves a nice short drive the next day.

Starting to freak out a little bit!!! We leave in 2 weeks. We check in the Saturday after Thanksgiving 11/24. We are driving from NJ (about 16hrs) the plan is to leave at 3am Friday morning, drive straight through, arriving in the Disney area sometime Friday evening. We will be staying offsite that night. Anyway. I’m afraid of hitting holiday traffic!! Are people going to be out on the roads the day after Thanksgiving heading back home? I originally thought traffic would be low since most people are off work the day after Thanksgiving. Ugh! Everyone says we should leave earlier, like after Thanksgiving dinner and drive through the night or at least as far as we can go. I honestly wasn’t keen on this from the start because I know I will NOT be able to sleep in a car and I’m afraid my kids won’t either. Everyone says they are kids they will eventually fall asleep. ‍♀️ I don’t know what to do! Should we leave the night before or stick with our original plan? Any advice? Thank you!
I made the drive a few times, you'll be fine. Leave at 3am. Not much rush hour traffic the day after thanksgiving.
You can thumb back on this thread and see the experiences people had driving the day after thanksgiving, I don't recall any terrible problems.
I wouldn't recommend driving through the night unless you have done it before. It's not as easy as it seems, especially with kids in the car. We have done it a number of times but I'm nuts. Lol But I also drive for a living.
I'm in sales and drive about 40k a year for work. I'm also one of those people who can drive forever and is real comfortable in a car.
Just sit back, take a few deep breaths and by the time you get an hour down the road, you'll say, this isn't that bad.
Nothing more that stresses me out is an airport.
You also have to remember once you get out of the north east, the roads get smoother, flatter, wider and straighter.
I look over at some people driving and there holding onto the wheel like it's going to fall off the steering column, relax, keep up with traffic, don't tailgate and stay alert.
You'll have a blast.

Last edited:
I made the drive a few times, you'll be fine. Leave at 3am. Not much rush hour traffic the day after thanksgiving.
You can thumb back on this thread and see the experiences people had driving the day after thanksgiving, I don't recall any terrible problems.
I wouldn't recommend driving through the night unless you have done it before. It's not as easy as it seems, especially with kids in the car. We have done it a number of times but I'm nuts. Lol But I also drive for a living.
I'm in sales and drive about 40k a year for work. I'm also one of those people who can drive forever and is real comfortable in a car.
Just sit back, take a few deep breaths and by the time you get an hour down the road, you'll say, this isn't that bad.
Nothing more that stresses me out is an airport.
You also have to remember once you get out of the north east, the roads get smoother, flatter, wider and straighter.
I look over at some people driving and there holding onto the wheel like it's going to fall off the steering column, relax, keep up with traffic, don't tailgate and stay alert.
You'll have a blast.

Thanks so much for the reassurance! I tend to overthink things a lot! Lol!

Thanks so much for the reassurance! I tend to overthink things a lot! Lol!
Just some pre trip nerves. I still get them, they come in a " I can't sleep days before we leave form" now. Lol
Just think of it like this, when you drive, your in control. If kids need to get out and burn some energy, gotta use the restroom, just stretch your legs a little.... you stop for a few minutes.
Try doing that at 30,000 feet. Lol
When we got married, 34 plus years ago, my wife couldn't sleep in a car...... now I can't keep her awake. Lol
You'll be fine. We love it.

Just some pre trip nerves. I still get them, they come in a " I can't sleep days before we leave form" now. Lol
Just think of it like this, when you drive, your in control. If kids need to get out and burn some energy, gotta use the restroom, just stretch your legs a little.... you stop for a few minutes.
Try doing that at 30,000 feet. Lol
When we got married, 34 plus years ago, my wife couldn't sleep in a car...... now I can't keep her awake. Lol
You'll be fine. We love it.
Yes! We plan to take our time and try to enjoy the adventure! If we feel we can’t make it any further we will be sure to stop. Flying was not in our budget this trip, plus my husband refuses to fly if he doesn’t have to! Lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter