"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have driven many times between 1997 and 2012 and always drove from Frederick,MD via i95. We then started flying. However, this year we are going back to driving. I have never had an issue drivinv and normally drive more than DH on the trips.

On June 12 I am driving from Chambersburg to AKL with my niece 16 and nephew 15. We are leaving right after school at 3pm. I am thinking that it would be easier to go 81-77-26-95-4 then going to I95 in DC as we would hit Rockville around 4:30 and be in rush hour traffic.

Is this a more relaxing route, I drove it once in winter and didn't like it very much as it seems more isolated then 95.

What would you do? Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Go 81. It is much more relaxing. Trips 1 & 2 from the same area were via 81. Decided for a change of pace and tried 95 for trip 3. Trip 4 (first time I handled the drive) was 81 again. No question in my mind which way I'll go if we have trip # 5.

Hi neighbor!

Leaving Southwestern CT at 4:00am and plan on traveling to Mid-Georgia I-95 in 14 hours and 15 minutes (2 Drivers).

Is it doable or is it a pipe dream?

Hmmmmm...

If each of you can cat nap at least once during that day, I'm thinking you can do it easily. We're both around 50 yrs old, and find that a 30 min rest en route really refreshes. It's also such an indulgence for both of us, because we're both always the driver in the rest of our lives! Enjoy!!!:goodvibes

Go 81. It is much more relaxing. Trips 1 & 2 from the same area were via 81. Decided for a change of pace and tried 95 for trip 3. Trip 4 (first time I handled the drive) was 81 again. No question in my mind which way I'll go if we have trip # 5.

Hi neighbor!
hi pwdebbie!!!! haven't seen you around here lately. I was starting to worry you got snowed under.

If each of you can cat nap at least once during that day, I'm thinking you can do it easily. We're both around 50 yrs old, and find that a 30 min rest en route really refreshes. It's also such an indulgence for both of us, because we're both always the driver in the rest of our lives! Enjoy!!!:goodvibes

hi nono!!!! its like a reunion around here. :thumbsup2
I think there is something wrong with me....... im pushing 50 ( real close :lmao:) and the older I get, the longer I can drive. the past few years I have been driving straight thru on the way down, just stopping for gas and restroom and only having dw drive for about 2 hours on the way home. :sad2:
the worst part is I still rather drive in the dark!

If any one will be on I 81S in WV today, you might want to choose another route. 44 vehicle pile up this morning. At least three dead. Check the FB page for WHAG for details. I have a friend sitting just one mile from the scene. The road will be closed for the next six hours.

ETA Now they say there were two accidents, one SB and one NB. A total of 17 vehicles, not 44.

I'm seldom on the DIS now days. No trips in my future.
im glad you stopped in anyway...... don't be a stranger. :thumbsup2

If any one will be on I 81S in WV today, you might want to choose another route. 44 vehicle pile up this morning. At least three dead. Check the FB page for WHAG for details. I have a friend sitting just one mile from the scene. The road will be closed for the next six hours.

wow.... weather related?

wow.... weather related?

Snow squall.

BERKELEY COUNTY, W.Va - West Virginia State Police have confirmed to WHAG News that two people are dead following two serious accidents Wednesday morning on Interstate-81.

Police say 14 people were taken to area hospitals after two accidents on Interstate-81 at mm 21, between Spring Mills and Falling Waters. Five choppers were dispatched to the scene. State police have confirmed 44 vehicles have been affected, including several large trucks.

Officials say a fast-moving snow squall was responsible for the accident, creating whiteout conditions due to heavy snow and wind.

State police say seven cars were involved in one accident on I-81 northbound, and 10 were involved in a second accident in southbound lanes. Both crashes happened around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Snow squall.

BERKELEY COUNTY, W.Va - West Virginia State Police have confirmed to WHAG News that two people are dead following two serious accidents Wednesday morning on Interstate-81.

Police say 14 people were taken to area hospitals after two accidents on Interstate-81 at mm 21, between Spring Mills and Falling Waters. Five choppers were dispatched to the scene. State police have confirmed 44 vehicles have been affected, including several large trucks.

Officials say a fast-moving snow squall was responsible for the accident, creating whiteout conditions due to heavy snow and wind.

State police say seven cars were involved in one accident on I-81 northbound, and 10 were involved in a second accident in southbound lanes. Both crashes happened around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday morning.
wow.... prayers for those involved. they had a huge multi car on the north east extension of the turn pike this winter for the same reason. I think it was last year they had a huge pile up on i77 because of fog.
you never know what to do in those cases, if you pull over, you can get hit sitting on the side of the road and if you keep going, you can get or be hit. I would try to hit the first off ramp I come to and find a place to pull over. but im guessing easier said then done.

Thanks for the replies about my concerns of the wear on my new baby, erm...car. :thumbsup2 I have another question I'm hoping somebody will be able to answer. I live in Canada and we are planning on leaving the GTA (greater Toronto area) around 10am. Its a 22 hour drive without stops and we will be taking the 175. Are there any places I should be concerned about with traffic? Will I hit it around the 5 o'clock time? I should be in the Toledo area at that point.

Thanks for the replies about my concerns of the wear on my new baby, erm...car. :thumbsup2 I have another question I'm hoping somebody will be able to answer. I live in Canada and we are planning on leaving the GTA (greater Toronto area) around 10am. Its a 22 hour drive without stops and we will be taking the 175. Are there any places I should be concerned about with traffic? Will I hit it around the 5 o'clock time? I should be in the Toledo area at that point.

Dunno about rush hour traffic in Toledo. I would think you'd have your worst traffic in Detroit, Cincinnati and Atlanta. Now, I know absolutely nothing about Detroit. Atlanta...looks like you're be going through there in the middle of the night. Cincinnati...well I've lived here all my life, so....

Rush hour isn't too terribly bad around here. If you make Toledo at 5, that means you should hit Cincinnati about 8:30 PM. Even if the Cincinnati Reds are home that day, you should be OK, because the game should be about halfway done at 8:30.

LMK if you have any more questions about I-75.

We are about to take our 7th dribe although I feel like I'm missing one lol in may and we drive straight thru on our way back this time we will leave in the am so this will be new we have jeber had daylight until the end lol we have a dd7 and ds4 getting excited.

We are planning a trip for September and November but will use our Own car for those it is a 2003 Nissan maxima ajd is new to me lol but still the trips are close anyone done drives that close? I had a car doe on me on I-4 just a few exits away in rush hour before and that was not fun so I am kind of nervous. We are driving from Philadelphia.

Sorry BC & DVC we cheated. We took the autotrain down on Sunday, but will be driving back next Monday to stop in South Carolina to pick up a motorcycle trailer we bought. As we get older it is getting harder to do the drive. Getting in refreshed means more to us now.

I will still be checking in occasionally because I feel I have made some friends here & also because I may have some input of experiences we have had on our round trip drives.

We are making our first of likely many upcoming drives to Orlando area. OCtober will be for vacation but it looks like we are relocation to that area in the next few years:woohoo: so we have to travel more to look around and 4 of us flying is pricey.
I am glad to see this thread, making me feel a bit better about the drive. I want it to be part of the adventure! My 2 experiences as a kid driving were not a fun adventure.
- Question- When you have a long ride home, what do you plan for your last day? I hoped to get in some time in Epcot before we go since I want to leave in the evening.
We planned to drive later at night, trading off as needed. DH is used to long drives for work so Ill drive initially. I havent been able to sleep in car in the past but we never did an all nighter this far(we have an RV but its older and not tustworthy on this long of a trip.)
Thanks

- Question- When you have a long ride home, what do you plan for your last day? I hoped to get in some time in Epcot before we go since I want to leave in the evening.
Thanks

On our return drives, we have always departed in the morning before 9 a.m. to maximize our daylight driving hours (although we leave from home to WDW in the dark of night). So, all we have is a WDW breakfast.

In your case, do whatever you want but make sure you don't interfere with your packing and other related actvities.

[Note: Big traffic delays due to construction on I-4 this weekend.]

All the best. :thumbsup2

We are about to take our 7th dribe although I feel like I'm missing one lol in may and we drive straight thru on our way back this time we will leave in the am so this will be new we have jeber had daylight until the end lol we have a dd7 and ds4 getting excited.

We are planning a trip for September and November but will use our Own car for those it is a 2003 Nissan maxima ajd is new to me lol but still the trips are close anyone done drives that close? I had a car doe on me on I-4 just a few exits away in rush hour before and that was not fun so I am kind of nervous. We are driving from Philadelphia.
We have done a lot drives that close together.
We had one year where we drove down in Oct. and then again in Nov and there were only 19 days between arriving home and leaving on the next trip down.
We normally go down in Oct for F&W and then again in late Nov/early Dec. for Christmas activities and decorations.
We have also gone down in April for F&G and then in June for our anniversary. One year we had 5 drives to Disney in the calendar year and another time we had five drives in a 12 month period.
We take two days to do the drive as DH is the sole driver - we try to get 12 hours of driving the first day on the way down. On the way back, we usually leave Disney around 11 am (have a leisurely morning arising late, getting breakfast, and then hit the road so we only get a little over halfway home before stopping for the night. Next day, we normally get on the road around 11am again. We do drive our own car down.

We are about to take our 7th dribe although I feel like I'm missing one lol in may and we drive straight thru on our way back this time we will leave in the am so this will be new we have jeber had daylight until the end lol we have a dd7 and ds4 getting excited. We are planning a trip for September and November but will use our Own car for those it is a 2003 Nissan maxima ajd is new to me lol but still the trips are close anyone done drives that close? I had a car doe on me on I-4 just a few exits away in rush hour before and that was not fun so I am kind of nervous. We are driving from Philadelphia.
I did may of 2013 and three weeks later went back down.

Sorry BC & DVC we cheated. We took the autotrain down on Sunday, but will be driving back next Monday to stop in South Carolina to pick up a motorcycle trailer we bought. As we get older it is getting harder to do the drive. Getting in refreshed means more to us now. I will still be checking in occasionally because I feel I have made some friends here & also because I may have some input of experiences we have had on our round trip drives.
Nice to see you around here. Have a great trip!!

We are making our first of likely many upcoming drives to Orlando area. OCtober will be for vacation but it looks like we are relocation to that area in the next few years:woohoo: so we have to travel more to look around and 4 of us flying is pricey. I am glad to see this thread, making me feel a bit better about the drive. I want it to be part of the adventure! My 2 experiences as a kid driving were not a fun adventure. - Question- When you have a long ride home, what do you plan for your last day? I hoped to get in some time in Epcot before we go since I want to leave in the evening. We planned to drive later at night, trading off as needed. DH is used to long drives for work so Ill drive initially. I havent been able to sleep in car in the past but we never did an all nighter this far(we have an RV but its older and not tustworthy on this long of a trip.) Thanks
Our last day we go to Epcot in the morning. Mk in the afternoon. We head back to the resort around six pm. Shower and go to bed. We are up and on the road by 1:30 am. Straight thru and we hit home around 4:30 5 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter