For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two days down for 20 hours is eminently doable, if I understood you correctly. Actually, one tip I have picked up after trying it on my second drive down from OK was to make the first day a bit longer when you split up the drive. For us, central OK to WDW is a 20-hour drive, too, but I don't split it up 10-and-10. I push our first day to 14 hours - really the max I'm comfortable pushing a single day - which leaves me only 6 hours the next day, getting us into WDW proper a few hours early and not leaving you anywhere near as fatigued after that second-day drive.

We followed this strategy the last three trips and its really worked out nice for us; although in 2011 our early arrival was botched because WDW's computers were being overhauled *the day we arrived* and *everyone's* check in was being delayed - it took us *four hours* to get our room, scuttling our plans to spend our first afternoon in Downtown Disney :(. But we were comped for the first night, fortunately. But that's an aside. The point here is that splitting the drive heavy on the first day was a bonus on the second day.

For your route, it appears that Nashville is a down-the-middle split 10/10. If you pushed the first day two more hours to Chattanooga, you'd only have an 8-hour drive the next day; if you pushed it just a tad further, to Marietta, GA, that's about 13-1/2 hours, leaving only 6-1/2 the next day. Might be worth considering!

Right on! We do the same coming from CT. Drive to GA the first day and then the second day is a short ride to Disney. Also my wife and I split the ride 50/50 each of us swapping drivers at each stop. Really reduces the driving fatigue.

When in April? We will be getting in on the 15th, going on a DCL cruise on the 18th, back to WDW for 1 night on the 21st and then driving home.

We are arriving on the 15th also. Leaving south-central PA around noon on Sunday the 14th (depends on how long-winded the preacher is -- my dh is the preacher, lol), one night hopefully in the Orangeburg, SC area and hope to arrive at POFQ in the early afternoon.

Right on! We do the same coming from CT. Drive to GA the first day and then the second day is a short ride to Disney. Also my wife and I split the ride 50/50 each of us swapping drivers at each stop. Really reduces the driving fatigue.

How long does it take to get to GA for you? We are coming from MA and we can only get to NC. SC would be pushing it- I would be to tired to help DH drive. I wish we could get all the way to GA. Have a safe trip!

How long does it take to get to GA for you? We are coming from MA and we can only get to NC. SC would be pushing it- I would be to tired to help DH drive. I wish we could get all the way to GA. Have a safe trip!

We left southern CT at 4am and arrived in Savannah GA a little after 8pm.

Two days down for 20 hours is eminently doable, if I understood you correctly. Actually, one tip I have picked up after trying it on my second drive down from OK was to make the first day a bit longer when you split up the drive. For us, central OK to WDW is a 20-hour drive, too, but I don't split it up 10-and-10. I push our first day to 14 hours - really the max I'm comfortable pushing a single day - which leaves me only 6 hours the next day, getting us into WDW proper a few hours early and not leaving you anywhere near as fatigued after that second-day drive.

We followed this strategy the last three trips and its really worked out nice for us; although in 2011 our early arrival was botched because WDW's computers were being overhauled *the day we arrived* and *everyone's* check in was being delayed - it took us *four hours* to get our room, scuttling our plans to spend our first afternoon in Downtown Disney :(. But we were comped for the first night, fortunately. But that's an aside. The point here is that splitting the drive heavy on the first day was a bonus on the second day.

For your route, it appears that Nashville is a down-the-middle split 10/10. If you pushed the first day two more hours to Chattanooga, you'd only have an 8-hour drive the next day; if you pushed it just a tad further, to Marietta, GA, that's about 13-1/2 hours, leaving only 6-1/2 the next day. Might be worth considering!

Thanks! This is exactly what we have planned. Chattanooga or Marietta. Have checked trip advisor for hotels. Two drivers, me and my husband :)

I have a kinda stupid question...
Has anybody ever travelled with a bike rack before? I've never had one before, never mind driven to FL with one.

Do I get a lock and lock them for the overnight on our way down?

I have a kinda stupid question...
Has anybody ever travelled with a bike rack before? I've never had one before, never mind driven to FL with one.

Do I get a lock and lock them for the overnight on our way down?

We've seen a number of bikes on bike racks heading south before. But if you are staying overnight at any hotel or motel (unless 24-hour security is offered), lock the bike.

All the best. :thumbsup2

One problem about stopping in Marietta. If you're arriving at Disney on a weekday (Monday through Friday), you'll start off your day going through Atlanta during morning rush hour. Might as well travel the extra 30-45 minutes, and get south of Atlanta. Either that, or don't take off until after rush hour (about 9 AM).

Even if you're stopping in Chattanooga, you still could hit the tail end of Atlanta if you leave early enough. I wouldn't leave Chattanooga until at least 7:30 AM.

Of course, all this is moot if you're travelling during the weekend.

We've seen a number of bikes on bike racks heading south before. But if you are staying overnight at any hotel or motel (unless 24-hour security is offered), lock the bike.

Thanks!

I know I can lock the bikes to the rack, but the rack is not locked to the car- can be just pulled off. Was wondering what kind of lock people use.

Hi all! I'm looking for some suggestions for where to do a one night stop along the way. This will be our 6th drive down in the past three years but we normally go straight through the night. I'm up by the central NJ shore. We usually leave around 3pm in the afternoon and get into Disney around lunch time the following day. I think this time I'd like to leave earlier in the day, do the bulk of the driving day one and stop for the night somewhere maybe 6 or so hours from Florida. I'm thinking maybe the GA area? If any one has someplace that's tried and true I'd love a recommendation. :thumbsup2

Hi all! I'm looking for some suggestions for where to do a one night stop along the way. This will be our 6th drive down in the past three years but we normally go straight through the night. I'm up by the central NJ shore. We usually leave around 3pm in the afternoon and get into Disney around lunch time the following day. I think this time I'd like to leave earlier in the day, do the bulk of the driving day one and stop for the night somewhere maybe 6 or so hours from Florida. I'm thinking maybe the GA area? If any one has someplace that's tried and true I'd love a recommendation. :thumbsup2

We stayed in Savannah GA at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport. It is right off of I95 and about a 5 hour drive to Disney from there.

We stayed in Savannah GA at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport. It is right off of I95 and about a 5 hour drive to Disney from there.

There is a Days Inn right off I-95 in Savannah...I recommend that you DO NOT stay there. DH and I stayed there last October when we drove to Miami for a cruise and it was awful!! We won't make that same mistake this September when we head to WDW!!

There is a Days Inn right off I-95 in Savannah...I recommend that you DO NOT stay there. DH and I stayed there last October when we drove to Miami for a cruise and it was awful!! We won't make that same mistake this September when we head to WDW!!

We stayed in a Country Inn and Suites off 95/Savannah. It was great, really nice breakfast and very nice staff. It's a great location, you have plenty of time to drive at a leisurely pace, stop at the Florida Welcome Center for your free OJ, and get to WDW by check-in time!

We are leaving Boston at 4 pm on a Wednesday night 4/10. Going to drive straight through with 4 people driving, but only 2 can drive at night. Just ordered a Sun Pass we hope gets here in time for next Wednesday. Has anyone ordered one to MA? How long did it take? We are onsite using DVC two nights, then staying at the Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach with pay and Park for one night. Getting on the Disney Dream for 4 nights, then back for three nights at Wilderness Lodge. Then heading home on Saturday afternoon to be back in Boston by Sunday 4/21. We are so excited. We will not be taking 95S, but the alternate route of 90W to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to I4 ( or the alternate there too). Can't wait for this vacation to start!

We stayed in a Country Inn and Suites off 95/Savannah. It was great, really nice breakfast and very nice staff. It's a great location, you have plenty of time to drive at a leisurely pace, stop at the Florida Welcome Center for your free OJ, and get to WDW by check-in time!

:thumbsup2 The Hampton Inn there at Exit 109 in GA is good too. You can zip into Savannah for dinner if you'd like from that area too, but will be right at the entrance ramp of I95 for when you want to leave in the morning. Highly recommend the location.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express off of I95 in Savannah when we drove down in August too. Includes a continental breakfast. We left there on a sunday morning around 8-8:30AM and were pulling into downtown Disney by 12:45. I would recommend it, price wasn't bad, right off of 95 so that you can hop right back on when you are ready to go, and it was pretty clean.

Thanks!

I know I can lock the bikes to the rack, but the rack is not locked to the car- can be just pulled off. Was wondering what kind of lock people use.

If you bike rack is hitch-mounted you can buy a hitch pin that locks...that is what I've done in the past when traveling with something hitched to my vehicle. Search for "Master Lock Hitch" on a major shopping site and you'll find plenty of options.

If you bike rack is hitch-mounted you can buy a hitch pin that locks...that is what I've done in the past when traveling with something hitched to my vehicle. Search for "Master Lock Hitch" on a major shopping site and you'll find plenty of options.

Thank you!!! That's exactly what I was looking for! :)

So...who is next on the road to WDW, besides glo who is departing on 4/10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter