FOP vs Na'vi FP, Ohana question

mjlass11

Mouseketeer
Three 50+ year old adults going to AK on 4/14/18 and will be seeing Pandora for the first time. Virtual reality rides, such as the broomstick ride for Harry Potter gave all 3 severe motion sickness, queasy on Mission Space, but fine on Soarin and real coasters.

Also, dining question. Last time we ate at Ohana, I remember there was no chicken, smaller "dipping sauce" selection, and I think different salad. I have not had time to look to see if things changed back.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

I suffered thru Forbidden Journey once (well, twice - decided to verify I couldn't ride it). Mission Space I can handle for one spin but most virtual reality rides I'm no good. Love FOP though and would select it every time over Navi.

The ride (FOP) is so good, it's worth trying it to find out. My dh can't ride mission space or the tea cups, but can ride soarin' and roller coasters. The first time he was ok and enjoyed it. Second time not so much. First time we were bottom row - so I would ask for that row. Second time - we were top row, so if motion sick, perhaps avoid the top.

Three 50+ year old adults going to AK on 4/14/18 and will be seeing Pandora for the first time. Virtual reality rides, such as the broomstick ride for Harry Potter gave all 3 severe motion sickness, queasy on Mission Space, but fine on Soarin and real coasters.

Also, dining question. Last time we ate at Ohana, I remember there was no chicken, smaller "dipping sauce" selection, and I think different salad. I have not had time to look to see if things changed back.

At Ohana last year - changed quite a bit. Will likely take a few trips for us to go back.

The ride (FOP) is so good, it's worth trying it to find out. My dh can't ride mission space or the tea cups, but can ride soarin' and roller coasters. The first time he was ok and enjoyed it. Second time not so much. First time we were bottom row - so I would ask for that row. Second time - we were top row, so if motion sick, perhaps avoid the top.
I will add my wife said she had some motion sickness when were towards the top as well, did not when we were lower. Just the one occurrence of this but if others notice the same thing there could be something to it.

Good on all rides but FoP made me a little dizzy. Wife was fine. Worth the risk as it’s a much better ride than Navi. There’s a short “break” half way to two thirds thru where if you do start getting motion sickness it helps getting that breather.

Never ate at Ohana for dinner just breakfast. First time fantastic, next time runny eggs, server dumped container of juice all over our 1 year old, and service generally was lacking. Real bummer because our first visit was very memorable.

FOP for sure. The Na'Vi river ride will be down to 30 minute waits within a couple of years, most definitely not an E ticket ride. FOP has some movement, but nothing too herky jerky. Similar to Soarin', but at a more intimate level, and with 3D effects. It will continue to have long lines for years to come.

I can't speak to FOP as we didn't get to do it (didn't really try due to young kids, etc...and lack of FP).

What I will say is that as we walked out from using our FP for Navi River and saw the line I thought to myself "no way I would be happy if I'd waited more than 10 minutes for that". But, from what I can tell, we were EXTREMELY spoiled our entire trip. We were able to get FP's or less than 20 minute wait for everything we did.

My DH was also okay the first time on FOP, but not so much the second time. And he totally skipped it last week. It wasn't enough of dizziness to ruin the day though.....like what happened when he did mission space (which I refuse to do but could ride FOP over and over!!). We had some pixie dust and were given some "golden" fast passes. We used one for Nav'i River.....I had already been on it and did not want to waste the FP, but each one had to be used by all four of us at once. After we got off, the family said the same thing as MJB. It is pretty lame.....it's like Pirates, but with pretty lights.

Can't answer your dining question, haven't been there in years, and we don't really do "all you care to eat" anymore....EXCEPT for Cape May Cafe!

My DH was also okay the first time on FOP, but not so much the second time. And he totally skipped it last week. It wasn't enough of dizziness to ruin the day though.....like what happened when he did mission space (which I refuse to do but could ride FOP over and over!!). We had some pixie dust and were given some "golden" fast passes. We used one for Nav'i River.....I had already been on it and did not want to waste the FP, but each one had to be used by all four of us at once. After we got off, the family said the same thing as MJB. It is pretty lame.....it's like Pirates, but with pretty lights.

Can't answer your dining question, haven't been there in years, and we don't really do "all you care to eat" anymore....EXCEPT for Cape May Cafe!

I kind of felt the same as your DH. We did FoP twice, several days apart. The first time, I was in awe and totally understood why the ride is so popular. The second time, I was a little glad when the ride ended. Felt a tad dizzy and I NEVER have had that issue in the past with any attration anywhere. I think this one is just a little too much "in my face". I will be OK skipping it on our next trip. Didn't get the chance to do Nav'i ride yet. I'm in my mid-60's if that helps.

FWIW, I think the OP and friends should all give it a try at least once. It truly is an amazing experience.

I can't speak to FOP as we didn't get to do it (didn't really try due to young kids, etc...and lack of FP).

What I will say is that as we walked out from using our FP for Navi River and saw the line I thought to myself "no way I would be happy if I'd waited more than 10 minutes for that". But, from what I can tell, we were EXTREMELY spoiled our entire trip. We were able to get FP's or less than 20 minute wait for everything we did.

We did an adults only trip last Oct and rode both FOP and Na'vi. FOP is fantastic and should be tried at least once for anyone curious. I would agree with this previous post about not waiting more than 10 (I'd go to 20) minutes for Na'Vi unless you have a fairly open itinerary for AK that day.

We will have our little ones with us this next trip so we will be skipping both on this one. More FP+ for the rest of you. Lol.

We have only done O'hana for breakfast as well, but have had great service each time we have been there. It is our routine to have breakfast there on departure day and have never been disappointed.

I've done both Navi and FOP (lucked into anytime FP for a bus delay!) and I'm in almost the same age group as you, and similar experiences (Mission Space was the only ride that made me quesy). Agree that FOP is worth a try at least once - it is like Soarin on steroids. My 6yo loves it more than anything, and she cried on Tower of Terror on the same trip.

We love FoP and I would use a Fastpass for that and waitline Navi. If you get to the park before it opens, at least 30 mintues, the line to Navi should not be too bad unless it is a weekend. FoP was already over 90 minutes 30 minutes before the park opened when we were there in October.
You can also wait until close to park closing time. 15 mintues before closing the line for FoP was only 15 minutes in standby line and everyone in line rode.

I do agree that I would be very disappointed to wait 60 minutes for Navi, but would wait for FoP.

I've done both Navi and FOP (lucked into anytime FP for a bus delay!) and I'm in almost the same age group as you, and similar experiences (Mission Space was the only ride that made me quesy). Agree that FOP is worth a try at least once - it is like Soarin on steroids. My 6yo loves it more than anything, and she cried on Tower of Terror on the same trip.

Funny, my 5 yo LOVES ToT but so far says she is not ready to try FoP yet. Here's hoping she's more ready to give a shot when we are back in September.

Funny, my 5 yo LOVES ToT but so far says she is not ready to try FoP yet. Here's hoping she's more ready to give a shot when we are back in September.
I am trying to get my 6yo who's now tall enough to ride everything at WDW to try Everest and RnR coaster. She loves 7DMT and Soarin and FOP, but I think a lost a lot of trust taking her on ToT, LOL. Now she's not even sure she wants to try BTMRR and Splash Mountain. :sad2:

We love FoP and I would use a Fastpass for that and waitline Navi. If you get to the park before it opens, at least 30 mintues, the line to Navi should not be too bad unless it is a weekend. .

^^This. During Thanksgiving week we got there at open, rode Navi with basically no line and then hit our FoP fastpass. Everyone at open is going for FoP. Just stay left after the Pandora entrance bridge so you don't get trampled and you'll head right toward it.

We are going to try and get fp for fop and happens to be magic hours that day, do you think if we arrive at 8 for magic hours we will have towait long for Navi? We have breakfast at Tusker at 9:35...

We are going to try and get fp for fop and happens to be magic hours that day, do you think if we arrive at 8 for magic hours we will have towait long for Navi? We have breakfast at Tusker at 9:35...

I have not done it at rope drop (or EM), but my guess is most everyone will be headed to FoP in that rush. This is probably your best bet to ride both without doing multiple AK days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter