• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FOP at Rope Drop

In September non EMH day 9 am open day, we arrived at 7am and were first in line at the turnstile. At 8 they let us through the turnstile for the fast walk to the Pandora bridge. Walking fast but being polite and not pushy, we were about 20 people deep. Pandora was opened at 8:30 and we walked right on the ride. Came off ride and it was already a 3 hour wait. Walked right on Navi with no FP. Totally worth it.

Then we got in line about 8:30 pm with a 9pm close and no FP and waited about 30 min (list time said 90 min). Great day!

Thanks for the report. 90 minute wait in the morning. 30 minute wait at night. Not too bad.

It's good to see that this attraction is trending the same as other headliners, with the wait times decreasing significantly close to closing time.

Get there way before 8:30. RD for navi would probably be easier if you can get a FP+ for FOP but those are hard to get too. If you RD navi you probably don't have to get there quite so early but probably still get there before 8:30.

View attachment 291282 There is a razor thin margin for FOP rope drop between walking off the ride happy by 915am or being stuck in a 2+ hour line. Getting to the park at 830am will likely put you in the latter.

We did it the week before Christmas without a Fastpass, following some advice we'd read for a typical 9am opening, with a moderate crowd level. Arriving at the park's front at 8am, the lines were already stacked from the turnstiles almost to the ticket sale booths. At 820, when the lines were well past the ticket booths, they started scanning magicbands/tickets and letting people enter the park. With a six year old, we walked at a moderate pace, but people were running and dashing.

No lie: we saw a 30-something woman racing an 80-something woman in a wheelchair past us. The elderly lady was clearly hanging on for dear life. Most people were respectful, tho. Actually saw more rude people trying to buck into the parade lines at MVMCP.

Anyhow, they immediately queued everyone up on the bridge leading into Pandora by Tiffins, which took about five minutes to walk to. At this point, we were not quite on the bridge, with a sea of people arriving behind us over the next 20 minutes (see the photo!). We stayed to the right side of the bridge, per the directions we'd read before.

At 845-ish, the let everyone across the bridge. We stayed to the right and were naturally herded into a line that already extended well past the FOP Fastpass/Standby clocks. The line moved steadily, and by 915 we had finished the ride and exited the gift shop. At this point, the line for FOP was already across the Pandora bridge, almost at Tiffins, with a near 3-hr wait. If we had shown up at the park at 830, or even 815, we'd be stuck somewhere in that mass of people.

Logistically, our bus left Wilderness Lodge at 730, stopped at Contemporary, and we were in line at Animal Kingdom's gate a few minutes before 8am. Definitely allow extra time to get to the park no later than 8am, or you'll miss that narrow window to avoid the long line.

And, for heaven's sake, be patient. It's just a ride (albeit freakin' awesome)!

We went during a non-EMH 9am opening in Jersey week. We arrived at 7:30am and were the first in line at our turnstile. Walked briskly (no running) and stayed at the front of the pack - we were first on the ride for the day.
I can’t remember exactly what time we were let in, but we were held at the bridge for while - the crowd behind us was ENORMOUS. I would have hated to be in the midst of that. I think the wait time was up to 120 minutes when we got off.
All in all, we were off the ride by 8:50am and went straight into the standby queue for NRJ - I think it took maybe 30 mins. (We had FP for NRJ but figured we’d ride it standby anyway seeing as the line wasn’t very long.)
I found the entire rope drop experience and wait to be really pleasant - the CMs holding the crowd at the bridge were so lovely and chatty and it was really nice to chat to other people who were there waiting too.
If you can, go early - in our experience (and it was just a one day experience), arriving an extra hour early (7:30 vs 8:30) saved us a good couple more hours in the line.

FWIW...We loved it so much that I got in a standby line with a 150 min wait time at the end of the night. I’m *that* person that says “I would never willingly join a line that’s 2.5 hours long!!”

Just back from a Dec 12th thru 20th trip. We had FP+s for FOP for 2 different days and loved the ride so much that after the first FP+ we worked on getting more. Refreshing MDE netted us 3 more same-day (3 different days) FP+s for FOP. It's not impossible to do this. One of those day-of FP+s was scored during a time when the posted wait time was over 5 hours.

I like a PP's suggestion of making 4 FOP FP+ reservations and using the MBs of your not-interested-in-FOP travel mates.

NRJ is very nice, but FOP is, IMO, the best ride at WDW. Ever.

Okay - what about morning EMH rope drop plan for this? Heading down next week - and we would be going on a day that EMHs at AK start at 8 am. Could we head to the park at 7am (driving from an on-site resort - hence probably at gate about 7:30) - or do we need to be at the gate waiting to get in at 7am?

The goal is to ride FOP - and then wait for Navi (hopefully not too long of a wait).

I'm planning to do this on an 8am EMH morning in March. I'm planning to get to the park by 6:30 no later than 6:45.

Thank you for this information. I am going Wed Jan 10th. I will be at the gate at 8am for rope drop so I can get to FOP. I am only spending 1/2 day in AK and then going to MK for the rest of the day.

Thank you for this information. I am going Wed Jan 10th. I will be at the gate at 8am for rope drop so I can get to FOP. I am only spending 1/2 day in AK and then going to MK for the rest of the day.
See you in line!!!

WHAT?! This needs to happen before March! lol. (I can hope!)

I don't think it will. Soarin' used to have a single rider line, but because you had many ways of combining groups to fill up the seats, the line for the single riders often was a longer wait than the regular standby. Since FOP can fit 16 people in one sitting, it's very easy to match up odd numbers to fill all 16 seats, thereby not using the single rider line. When cars only have 2, 4, or 6 seats, it's a lot easier to have a single rider line.

Keep in mind though that if you are arriving 90 minutes before park opening you are essentially still waiting in a 90 minute FOP line. Having done both I would get my fast passes for FOP and rope drop navi or ride it at closing. I wouldn't plan anything around navi. I'm glad I did it once but not something I'll ever wait more than 15 minutes to do again.

I have a FP for FOP, but it’s for 4pm on our AK day & we have to be back to the resort for Magical Express at 3pm.
I keep trying to modify (all passes are gone that day) & not having much luck. BUT, I am Italian and a woman, so I’m not giving up. LOL.

I have a FP for FOP, but it’s for 4pm on our AK day & we have to be back to the resort for Magical Express at 3pm.
I keep trying to modify (all passes are gone that day) & not having much luck. BUT, I am Italian and a woman, so I’m not giving up. LOL.
Well, starting Jan 11 ME is back to 3 hours before your flight . Does that help ? :)

Keep in mind though that if you are arriving 90 minutes before park opening you are essentially still waiting in a 90 minute FOP line. Having done both I would get my fast passes for FOP and rope drop navi or ride it at closing. I wouldn't plan anything around navi. I'm glad I did it once but not something I'll ever wait more than 15 minutes to do again.

True but, a) it's a 90 minute wait with 60 minutes being before the park opens, so I am not wasting precious park time (it's a totally different mindset for me) and b) I was just able to buy my ticket last Friday.. there were no FP's for FOP.

There's another thread on this topic where I posted exact times from my pics I took for our ride, long story short, we parked at 7:15 for an 8am EMH and were off the ride by 8:15. I have knee issues so we weren't trying to race everybody to Pandora or anything like that, we just kept pace with the crowd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter