• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Foods states are "known" for

Where are the "loose meat sandwiches"? Is that NJ or NJ?

I've lived in NJ my whole life and never heard of "loose meat sandwiches".

As for Taylor Pork Roll, I think it's a Central/North Jersey thing.

BTW, comparing NJ pizza to the frozen stuff might get you a burial spot next to Jimmy Hoffa ;).

Huh? I lived in NJ for two years and for the last 25 have had a shore house there and have NEVER heard of either of these things.

I'm in Northern NJ, and taylor ham is definitely a staple here. Every bagel shop and deli in the area has a taylor ham egg and cheese sandwich(on a roll or bagel)on the menu.

Down in South Jersey, they call it pork roll, but it's the same thing.

For me, NJ is tomatoes, sweet corn, taylor ham, bagels, and all Italian food. Sausage and peppers..

ETA..so famous they even make shirts..LOL!
http://www.bing.com/shopping/taylor...ylor+ham+shirt&lpq=taylor ham shirt&FORM=HURE

NY - Wings, pizza, cheese curd, apples/apple products, maple/maple products

Oh, forgot my favorite NJ thing...fries with cheese and gravy(also know as disco fries, but no one I know ever called them that)..from the diner, of course.

NC definitely BBQ- around here we throw a pig picking for just about any occasion! :cool1: Seafood is big here on the coast so oyster roasts, fish fries and shrimp are king. :thumbsup2

Wow, the main food I think of in New York is street vendors selling hot dogs and pretzels. Pizza to me is a Chicago tradition, and out here in California its a staple too.....a lot of different styles, Chicago, Authentic Italian, but no New York Style.

Maryland lobster, I can see.

I couldn't say about North Carolina, but looking up the tourist guides it talks about livermush made from pigs and fried chicken, no mention of BBQ.

I've been to NC more times than I can count. Never heard of livermush before this thread. Doesn't seem like something people would line up for, but you never know. :upsidedow

People do line up for the BBQ in NC. The BBQ is THE thing.

I do love SC BBQ too. Mustard based BBQ is wonderful too.

No pork roll for me... North Jersey though. First food would be jersey tomato, blueberries. Other foods... Pizza, Italian heros, sausage and pepper....

I've lived in north jersey for 40+ years, and you can find taylor ham in every grocery store, diner, deli, corner store. And they're subs, not heros, and you wouldn't order an italian sub, but usually #1.

I've lived in north jersey for 40+ years, and you can find taylor ham in every grocery store, diner, deli, corner store. And they're subs, not heros, and you wouldn't order an italian sub, but usually #1.

Sorry but I have lived in north jersey for 50 years and we call them heros.....and yep. We ask for an Italian hero at all of our local delis and our local pizza place... They do not have numbers... But I will go in tomorrow and tell them they are not authentic... Lol

And you can find lots of things in stores... That does not mean the state is known for them...

Wow, the main food I think of in New York is street vendors selling hot dogs and pretzels. Pizza to me is a Chicago tradition, and out here in California its a staple too.....a lot of different styles, Chicago, Authentic Italian, but no New York Style.

Maryland lobster, I can see.

I couldn't say about North Carolina, but looking up the tourist guides it talks about livermush made from pigs and fried chicken, no mention of BBQ.

It's Liver Pudding. And there's only one kind that counts..... Neese's

North Carolina is pork BBQ and fried chicken...believe me.::yes::

Howdy neighbor! You're only 4 counties away!

Add to NC's BBQ: Cheerwine, Cherry-Lemon Sundrop, RC cola, moon pies, fried chicken, liver pudding/liver mush -- same thing but goes by two names, pecan pie, Red Velvet cake, buttermilk biscuits, country ham & red eye gravy, Brunswick stew, fried seafood on the coast . . . and let's not neglect sweet tea.
Note that liver mush is made from pork products -- not pork and fried chicken.

BBQ is absolutely the quintessential NC food. For y'all Yankees, when we say BBQ, we mean pulled pork. I know y'all say you're BBQing when you're cooking out hamburgers and hot dogs -- for us, BBQ is a noun, whereas for y'all it's a verb. Specifically, Lexington style BBQ with a vinegar-based sauce (as opposed to a tomato-based sauce).

Yes, and Lexington is just a stones throw from me. And Cheerwine.....:worship: It's not the same in a can either. You have to find a place with Cheerwine on tap. Every volunteer fire station in the county starts selling Brunswick stew right about now.

I'm hungry...........

Oh my gosh! You made my mouth water with memories!! Great eating in NC. I am a vinegar based BBQ girl all the way. All those foods (except for liver mush) oh my goodness. And the sweet tea. How could I forget that?? You are right about BBQ being a noun not a verb. The best noun ever! Now I just want some BBQ so bad!

There's this place on Wendover called "Country BBQ" that is A-MAZING. They make a Pork Tenderloin breakfast plate with over easy eggs, sausage gravy, homemade biscuit, and stone ground cheese grits.....................

It's ridiculous......:lovestruc

I've often thought about moving away but listening to a friend wax nostalgic on Facebook about missing fall made me really appreciate that I haven't... I can't even imagine this time of year without fresh apple cider and cider donuts.
I'm going bonkers missing this stuff. BFF keeps teasing me and I'm to point I'll be at her door step tomarrow if she doesn't quit.

Add to NC's BBQ: Cheerwine, Cherry-Lemon Sundrop, RC cola, moon pies, fried chicken, liver pudding/liver mush -- same thing but goes by two names, pecan pie, Red Velvet cake, buttermilk biscuits, country ham & red eye gravy, Brunswick stew, fried seafood on the coast . . . and let's not neglect sweet tea.
Note that liver mush is made from pork products -- not pork and fried chicken.

BBQ is absolutely the quintessential NC food. For y'all Yankees, when we say BBQ, we mean pulled pork. I know y'all say you're BBQing when you're cooking out hamburgers and hot dogs -- for us, BBQ is a noun, whereas for y'all it's a verb. Specifically, Lexington style BBQ with a vinegar-based sauce (as opposed to a tomato-based sauce).
:rotfl:This cracks me up. I was spending fourth of July with my inlaws. They are from Kansas, but we were up in Iowa with some family friends, as well. My FIL was talking about having a BBQ that night so, being the Texan that I am, I assumed that meant brisket or maybe some ribs on the grill. Nope, it was hamburgers and hot dogs. For us, that is called "a cook out" or "grilling". Semantics can be such a funny thing.

That's funny because most NY'ers (in the metro area/Long Island) would probably say "pizza". We are very snobby about our pizza and think it is the best!
Well, because it is ;)
I have to agree. In fact, one of the first arguments DH and I had was over pizza and who did it better: NY or Chicago. I don't want a ton of crust and something that is so bulky I need to eat it with a fork. Give me NY style any day! Oh, and I'm not from anywhere close to NY. I just think that yall know how to do pizza.

Thank you for pointing out, there are different types of BBQ.:thumbsup2
It's so true! There is also the Kansas City area, as well. I remember watching a show on the travel channel where they decided to have a BBQ taste off of the 4 BBQ areas. They would visit Texas, then the Carolinas, then Memphis, and finally KC. All had such different techniques and styles. I have no idea how they thought that they could actually have a taste off and declare a winner.

Missouri - BBQ in KC, Toasted Ravioli in STL. STL also has its own pizza style, but I personally think it (along with CA style) sucks. Statewide, we love our grilled pork steaks. Again, not my favorite thing, but it's a very popular cut.

:rotfl:This cracks me up. I was spending fourth of July with my inlaws. They are from Kansas, but we were up in Iowa with some family friends, as well. My FIL was talking about having a BBQ that night so, being the Texan that I am, I assumed that meant brisket or maybe some ribs on the grill. Nope, it was hamburgers and hot dogs. For us, that is called "a cook out" or "grilling". Semantics can be such a funny thing.

We call that grilling too. I grew up in NY/NJ/CT. BBQ is something different.

We call that grilling too. I grew up in NY/NJ/CT. BBQ is something different.

To be fair, "BBQ snobs" in Iowa would also agree. But, most folks in the Midwest use the term "BBQing" interchangably with "grilling", even though most know better :goodvibes

akhenaten said:
Sorry but I have lived in north jersey for 50 years and we call them heros.....and yep. We ask for an Italian hero at all of our local delis and our local pizza place... They do not have numbers... But I will go in tomorrow and tell them they are not authentic... Lol

And you can find lots of things in stores... That does not mean the state is known for them...

Hoagies down here! We are right outside of Philly.

Hoagies down here! We are right outside of Philly.

When my parents first moved to western pa... They served them with mayo... We were like mayo?? Lol. Hero ...sub... hoagie...in any case you have to have the good new jersey Italian bread !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter