Food Reviews: Blue Zoo, FF, etc.

QBUSH

Mouseketeer
Returned yesterday after 8 days with The Mouse. Here are a few reviews:

BLUE ZOO: awesome; visually very interesting; DS(12) has deemed it the neatest restaurant in WDW! The selections are well prepared, well presented and well thought out. To my extreme delight there were many children dining here. Children are welcome, greeted and treated warmly. We dined here twice and had a wonderful, knowledgeable server named Christopher who did not push wine or entrees. They also pour Fiji water at no charge. The half bottle wine selection is excellent. DS had stone crab claws both times - they were $10 a claw but HUGE! He also loved the 'shake and bake' fries AND the whole sea bass. I enjoyed the beet salad, the seviche(way, way too much lobster), the lobster dumplings and the bass. Did not have room for any desserts. It is a divine new addition to the fine dining choices and not snooty or noisy.

FLYING FISH: 2 great dinners here - had our usuals: tuna tartare, ravioli, veal chop, bone in chop, and fish of the day which was wahoo! despite being packed the service from Joe and then Joey was exceptional as always;

YACHTSMAN STEAKHOUSE: hooray for us non meaties - they now have a wonderful bass dish!!!!! DS had his usual filet with bernaise and loved it as always - we both had spinach salads - had a great server named Beverly who spoiled us!

BISTRO DE PARIS: lobster was as divine as ever; server was charming and recommened a wonderful burgundy for me; DS and I both had dessert souffles and were not disappointed;

ROSE & CROWN: not a regular choice but DS wanted fish and chips - ate an early lunch (NOON) and it was delicious

also enjoyed Coral Reef, San Angel, Sci Fi and Casey's - will be happy to elaborate if anyone is interested but don't want to make this any longer than it already is.

MamaQuack

Excellent reviews. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

You reviewed several places I had been considering for our next trip, so you've been very helpful - thanks!

Great reviews. We're planning on dining at BlueZoo on our last night (next Thursday). Honestly, we've never eaten at a bad Todd English restaurant. Thanks. :)

Kaycee - glad to be of help. Where would we be without these wonderful boards???

PhillyPooh: Blue Zoo is a new Todd English restaurant in the Dolphin hotel. Have never been to any of his other places but hear they are all equally interesting and incredible. He is an innovative chef, his places are new and upbeat. The Blue Zoo is very creative, they use lots of flavors and combinations, portions are amazingly large sized and it is not at all snooty.

LglBlonde: are you a blonde lawyer too? I am so just wondering! Anyway, Sci Fi seems to get Hot/Cold reviews-love it or hate it. We love it. We love fine dinig but know that is not what we will get at Sci fi. We go for the atmosphere. Feels just like a drive-in theatre. We choose the same thing every trip and are always happy: onion rings (to share), a green house salad for me and a milkshake for DS. Then he gets a burger. We cut it open and if it is not medium rare it goes back - this has happened only once in 6 years!!!!!! We don't get dessert because we only eat lunch here and usually are not ready for dessert. We have always had excellent service, love the silly old movies and just love the 'eating in cars' theme. Now, as for San Angel. Another "love it or hate it place". We adore it. I often ask for Chicken Mole which is not on the lunch menu but they will make it at lunch time. Otherwise we enjoy the tacos carbon - soft tacos with grilled chicken or beef, onions, peppers and served with beans and rice. We have seen the same waiters for years. The margaritas are refreshing and definitely your money's worth. Best of all, it is cool, dark and a relaxing escape from the touring of Epcot. Our last 3 visits we have also been able to enjoy the Mexican band while dining.

Any more ???? please post. I rely on these boards for so much and am thrilled any time I can post anything helpful.

Mama Quack

Originally posted by PhillyPooh
where and what is Blue Zoo? Thanks.

Blue Zoo is a new seafood restaurant at the Dolphin. It looks wonderful! (Haven't tried it yet...) Go to the Dolphin's web site and navigate to the menu.

Dana49-just saw your post. I think you will be pleased. Have you dined at the one in Las Vegas? We are visiting there in June and are more excited now to try it. We live in a small, inland college town so seafood is difficult to come by. We were thrilled with Blue Zoo's choices AND with the 3 choices of sauces to go on the fish is you selected to just have it grilled. DS loved the crab sauce so much he asked for a side to use as a dip for his shake -n-bake fries!!!! Have fun. Hope you get good weather!! Ask for Christopher Ryan - tell him his Athens friends miss him.

MamaQuack
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Thanks for the reviews! Yes, indeed, I am a blonde lawyer! How did you figure me out! ;)

Anyway, DH wanted to try Sci-Fi, I think it'd be fine for us, we aren't too picky and not into "fine dining" really. I may try to fit it somewhere into our schedule!! Did you make/need PS for lunch??

I would recommend reservations for the Sci-Fi. We went the first week of Dec. (slow season) and it was packed. The check in line for people with PSs was out the door by 25 people. Our PS was for 11:15.:eek: We were seated fairly quickly. We had a lot of fun at the Sci Fi.

Lori

I second the ps at SciFi! Each time we've been, there's always a wait. However, we have a ps and still have to wait 15 minutes or so. PS's are flexible and you can change them if needed!

We too had a PS - Noon on Saturday, the 3rd. We always try to take in that first Indiana Jones show and then get lunch - the show started late and we scooted at 5 till Noon. We did not have to wait but people were being turned away.

Enjoy!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

QBush - We, too, love the San Angel Inn. I'm always confused at the disgust so many people feel for this lovely rest.:confused: As you say, it is wonderfully cool and dark, a haven from the glaring sun, and we always enjoy our lunch or dinner there. I have been wanting to try the chicken mole, but haven't found it on the menu, I'll know to ask next time!!::yes::

Hi everyone! This post is actually for LglBlonde, b/c I will be a blonde lawyer in 2 short years (just finishing up my 1st year of law school), and I'm also from NC! Are you in the Raleigh-Durham area? I go to UNC Law school, and I know I shouldn't be writing on this board but should be studying for my upcoming exams, but I was just taking a break and saw your post! My DH and I are taking a trip to DW at the beginning of May to celebrate the end of my 1st year of law school, and I can't wait!!

Missey,

Congrats on ALMOST making it through your first year! Those 1L exams can be tough! I am in the Triangle area! I graduated in 2002 from Campbell. My husband and I are going to Disney the week of Memorial Day - just a few weeks after you! We are celebrating our one year anniversary a few months late! (It was in March!)

Lglblonde

DisneyMisses,

as another lglBlonde let me congratulate you on surviving the 1st year - what a great way to reward yourself and celebrate!!!!!

good luck on those exams - its been 25 years for me now and I can still remember the dread!

I'll be thinking of you early May!

MamaQuack
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Thank you both for the encouragement & congratulations! It has been a rough year, but in a few short weeks it will all be behind me, and I can enjoy a full week at DW!!! LglBlonde, one of my law school friend's husband goes to Campbell....He's a 3L this year, so he would've been a 1L when you were a 3L - his name is Martin W (I don't want to post his full name)....I'm sure you probably don't know him, but I thought it was worth a shot! That's great that you live in this area! I'm always anxious to discover avid DW fans!!
Thanks to both of you for the replies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter