• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food prices at Aulani INSANE

A "tasting experience" usually has many much smaller courses. This app, entree, dessert fixed price is not what the industry considers to be a tasking menu.
It felt like it was a lot of smaller courses…

Last edited:
I agree that they won't have any issues filling the restaurant. But I think that most people would agree that having an ala carte menu would open it up to more people. This pretty much forces people to buy more food then they want. It is their restaurant and they can do what they want, but it is kind of crappy to do this when the restaurants are so limited at the resort. A few restaurant with this style at WDW is not a big deal because of all of the other option, but Aulani only has the one other restaurant and it is not fancy. Forcing people, like diabetics to get a dessert is kind of shady to me.
Well, there are three other table service restaurants. But, sure, none of them are fancy. And they're all overpriced!

'AMA'AMA food is too fancy for me. I'd have an easier time of it if I could choose the bits that I wanted and not be forced to have the whole menu.

Well, there are three other table service restaurants. But, sure, none of them are fancy. And they're all overpriced!

'AMA'AMA food is too fancy for me. I'd have an easier time of it if I could choose the bits that I wanted and not be forced to have the whole menu.
Me too!

Makahiki is the only real other restaurant. Off the hook is a bar that you can order food, not what most people would consider a nice restaurant. It is nice to splurge on a better restaurant every once in a while. I have found over the years that the more really good food that you eat, the crappier the cheap places taste. I don't see them as "fancy" so much as better quality typically. My problem is that I just can not eat that much anymore. I can either have an app and dessert, or just the main entree.

My advice to the OP is to request that her international jet setting daughter actually do some research before visiting a destination, try to be a little less judgmental, and to please consider that her “sky is falling down” attitude might be based on inaccurate information. It’s really doing all of us a disservice.
I don't understand what you are saying. You think Aulani food is not expensive? Or it is expensive, and they should have known that going in and should stop complaining?

We thought the Olelo Room was some of the better food we had in November and was a pretty decent price point (for Hawaii) compared to the other options. They have a bunch of traditional apps and then also a separate sushi menu. I thought the quality was really good. They also have music nightly that started around an hour after opening....which coupled with the location being near the koi pond thought made for some really nice atmosphere. I think we ate here 3 of our 9 nights and would likely again next time we return.

Makahiki is the only real other restaurant. Off the hook is a bar that you can order food, not what most people would consider a nice restaurant. It is nice to splurge on a better restaurant every once in a while. I have found over the years that the more really good food that you eat, the crappier the cheap places taste. I don't see them as "fancy" so much as better quality typically. My problem is that I just can not eat that much anymore. I can either have an app and dessert, or just the main entree.
The overwhelming majority of the seating at both Makahiki and 'Olelo are in the same place with a thing rope to separate them. The only real difference is the menu. I guess you could argue that a menu of sushi and appetizers doesn't count as "restaurant", but those appetizers are basically meals and sushi restaurants are pretty common. Off the Hook is maybe a bit closer to a bar since they have TVs showing sports, but they still serve large meals (including $29! chicken & veggies) and it's still a table service affair. Maybe a bar and grill, but with a Disney + Hawaiian outdoor atmosphere? That's still a restaurant, though.

The overwhelming majority of the seating at both Makahiki and 'Olelo are in the same place with a thing rope to separate them. The only real difference is the menu. I guess you could argue that a menu of sushi and appetizers doesn't count as "restaurant", but those appetizers are basically meals and sushi restaurants are pretty common. Off the Hook is maybe a bit closer to a bar since they have TVs showing sports, but they still serve large meals (including $29! chicken & veggies) and it's still a table service affair. Maybe a bar and grill, but with a Disney + Hawaiian outdoor atmosphere? That's still a restaurant, though.
I guess you can argue that. It looks more like a lounge then a restaurant.

I don't understand what you are saying. You think Aulani food is not expensive? Or it is expensive, and they should have known that going in and should stop complaining?
My phrasing was too harsh, to begin with. But I’m saying that it’s possible, aside from Aulani’s higher end sit down options, which I think are too expensive, to eat both there and nearby for a relatively reasonable amount. Sorry if I wasn’t being clear.

Prices for food and many many things in Hawaii have always been pretty high. Almost everything needs to be shipped/flown in, which adds heavily to costs. Even 25 years ago on our honeymoon a pizza was $40 and bread was $4 a loaf. That's the price for the beauty of an isolated paradise in the Pacific.
We visited the Big Island in 2009 and 2011. We found the restaurant meals we had in Kona to be about the same pricewise as at home near Madison, WI. But we didn't eat in any high-end resort either. It was the grocery prices that were out of site and about the same as in Alaska.

We visited the Big Island in 2009 and 2011. We found the restaurant meals we had in Kona to be about the same pricewise as at home near Madison, WI. But we didn't eat in any high-end resort either. It was the grocery prices that were out of site and about the same as in Alaska.
I was just in Wisconsin Dells this past October and even the food at Wilderness Lodge was about the same price as Aulani. We were at Aulani a couple weeks ago and the overall quality of the food at Aulani was far superior.

If we're comparing restaurants outside the resorts, though, Hawaii prices are now significantly higher than any restaurant we experienced in Wisconsin. For example, we ate at High Rock Cafe (excellent) and our dinner (with drinks) was less expensive than what we are currently paying at "cheap" local diners like Big City Diner or even Denny's.

Agree. This is not a tasting menu food experience (like V & A) - where I totally get it.

I wish it was just an appetizer and main. Or a minimum per guest. I hate dessert!
Have you tried asking for an alternative to dessert? An additional starter perhaps?

Have you tried asking for an alternative to dessert? An additional starter perhaps?
I would gladly substitute a glass of wine tbh! I like when places have a cheese course option - like California grill. But I mostly don’t care - just take a bite or two and just treat it as part of the experience.

Our daughter travels all over the world on business. She just got back from Hawaii and talked about how insane the food prices were, especially at Aulani. She was able to visit 3 islands during her stay, though was only able to stay one night at Aulani. She said the resort was very nice. She said all of the resorts where she stayed were nice, but thought everything else outside of the resorts seemed very run down. She was also shocked by the homeless problem that they're having. It was her first trip to Hawaii and unless its back for business, she said it will no doubt be her last.
Mahalo for your visit and despite your disappointment at the homelessness and prices, we hope the spirit of aloha shared with her by the people of Hawai’i left an impression that will be remembered forever! Like most places, there are some bad eggs, but it’s the people that make Hawai’i memorable! Happy new year!

I understand what you’re getting at and agree with some of it, but 1, you’re wicked rude and 2, everyone in the world knows that Aulani is expensive and Hawaii has a homeless issue. There was nothing inaccurate about her statements, on the contrary they were more “well yeah we know this so what” in my opinion. You spent 10 minutes of your time at beautiful Aulani berating a woman and her daughter for her opinion, how much does that work out to be?
Well, the OP's daughter didn't know that Aulani is expensive and Hawaii has a homeless issue. According to the OP "She was also shocked by the homeless problem that they're having."
Not to mention the daughter was there for business on one day on Aualni, and and proclaimed "She said all of the resorts where she stayed were nice, but thought everything else outside of the resorts seemed very run down." Needless to say, she hadn't really explored the island, and it never crossed her mind that what she saw in that limited time period (as shocking as it was) was not representative of the island. Then she says "It was her first trip to Hawaii and unless its back for business, she said it will no doubt be her last."

So 1.) The Daughter didn't do any research on the Aulani, or had the understanding that an island (and a Disney property) is going to generally have higher prices due to logistical issues; 2.) Despite everyone knowing that there was a homeless problem, the Daughter was shocked that there was a homeless problem; and 3.) The Daughter didn't venture around a lot or make an effort to know the place, and immediately wrote the place off.

That doesn't sound like an honest assessment of a place. It would be like going to visit LA, and staying in Compton, and then saying all of LA County is a dump. Or visiting Chicago in February, seeing the Willis Tower, and saying Chicago is just a tourist trap and proclaiming that Chicago is too cold. Or visiting Magic Kingdom or Disneyland on Christmas Day on a whim, having done no research, complaing about the crowds and saying Disney sucked.

That's not to say Hawaii is all sunshine and rainbows. She could've spent a week there and visiting many of the sites, but local and touristy, and decided that it just wasn't for her. But an emphatic statement like that with a short visit and limited amount of time spend on non-business activities just doesn't seem to be very in-depth.

Appreciate that response Ed! Being a local (born and raised) on Oahu with degrees from Universities in the south, I know what Hawaii is about compared to the opportunities that are available on the continent. Nonetheless, it didn’t offend me and I hope it doesn’t to others regarding her experience and feedback, but if you look at this Aulani thread and all the other guests I talk to on property, it is a memorable experience to all! Do you have any trips upcoming?

Mahalo for your visit and despite your disappointment at the homelessness and prices, we hope the spirit of aloha shared with her by the people of Hawai’i left an impression that will be remembered forever! Like most places, there are some bad eggs, but it’s the people that make Hawai’i memorable! Happy new year!
This is the spirt that we loved and encountered on our 1st time there this July.
We have homeless here in Toronto, and have seen it all over the world when we travel. But we go off the regular tracks as well when we travel.
We were there for 10 nights in July in a 1bdrm. My girls 11 and 15 kept wanting to try the cafe out, so I let them buy lunch one day at Ula cafe. They ate maybe 1/2 of the food and then went upstairs and made their own lunch. They are not picky eaters and will try all at least once. That said, none of us were overwhelmed by the Shave Ice either. No more than a snow cone here, but with some different flavours. Again bought to try and it ended up in a melted mess, not finished...lol
Everyone has different tastes, we thought the food trucks around the island were the best. That and 7 Brothers burgers,,YUMYUM.
The best though is the SPIRIT of the people and how welcoming they all were with all the stories of their history.....loved it.

Appreciate that response Ed! Being a local (born and raised) on Oahu with degrees from Universities in the south, I know what Hawaii is about compared to the opportunities that are available on the continent. Nonetheless, it didn’t offend me and I hope it doesn’t to others regarding her experience and feedback, but if you look at this Aulani thread and all the other guests I talk to on property, it is a memorable experience to all! Do you have any trips upcoming?
Nope, no upcoming trips. We were just there earlier this year before the cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver. It was our first time at Aulani, but third time to Hawaii. Can’t wait to get back though!

I don't understand why people choose to not leave the resort and then complain about resort prices. Every resort that I have been to has had ridiculous prices. Are high prices at a resort a surprise to anyone? In this day and age of the internet and everyone posting everything about a place, including the menu and food, no one should be surprised about anything.
This is so true. My daughter has dance nationals at a hotel in San Diego. It’s awful. It’s right by the airport and harbor and not walkable to anywhere. I believe there’s a food truck about 3/4 mile away. Because this is where the competition is… we are pretty much stuck there. There is one restaurant and one coffee shop and both are super crowded and so expensive. Last year her group rotated ordering Uber Eats or sending one parent for food which worked well. Parking is $42 a day which we’d pay either as guests or if we stayed elsewhere since we have to be there all day. I know this going in and pack what I can… but I’d much rather be at Aulani!

This is so true. My daughter has dance nationals at a hotel in San Diego. It’s awful. It’s right by the airport and harbor and not walkable to anywhere. I believe there’s a food truck about 3/4 mile away. Because this is where the competition is… we are pretty much stuck there. There is one restaurant and one coffee shop and both are super crowded and so expensive. Last year her group rotated ordering Uber Eats or sending one parent for food which worked well. Parking is $42 a day which we’d pay either as guests or if we stayed elsewhere since we have to be there all day. I know this going in and pack what I can… but I’d much rather be at Aulani!
Anyone who has stayed at a Downtown Chicago hotel in the last couple of decades will know how crazy expensive parking is there. It was $50+ 15 years ago. I just see the parking fee as part of the hotel cost. It is something that I take into consideration when I decide where I want to stay and plan it into my budget. Same with resort fees. It is what it is. It is important for people who don't travel much to do their research ahead of time. I mean before they book their trip, not a week before they get there. You can't be "surprised" if you did your due diligence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter