Food poisoning

interstate70s

DIS Veteran
My family and I just got back from a great trip to Disneyland over Veteran's Day weekend with one exception. Our last park day (Mon) my son ordered a caesar salad ( made with romaine lettuce)at the French Market. That night he became extremely ill. I'll spare the details, but we were debating whether or not we should take him to the hospital. Ultimately he was able to keep down enough water that we felt he was ok to ride it out at home. At the time, I couldn't be sure which restaurant or meal could have caused it, given the different possibilities, but since the CDC's statements on romaine lettuce, it seems like that was likely the source. I've reported it to the Orange County Health Department. As of yesterday, romaine was still in the grocery stores here in San Diego, so I thought I'd let everyone here know our experience.

Yikes! Glad you were able to avoid the hospital!! Sick kids are not good- hopefully he is better now. We’ve had some issues with food illness in my little twice on our trips, so I feel your pain (we ended up in the ER both times as he has an autoimmune disease). I would let Disney know, they likely won’t do anything but at least you did all you can do and hopefully others didn’t/won’t get sick from the same thing

So sorry that happened.
You can easily catch something like that from any surface you touch at DL (or anyplace else). After getting sick like that at a buffet, we are religious about using hand sanitizer after handling the menu. If we get up to do anything during the meal, we sanitize again. It's also best to avoid eating things with your bare hands (bread, etc) especially if you've touched something the general population is using.
We can't expect Disney to keep surfaces free of nasty stuff with 50K people touching it mutilple times every day. And we all know how poor some people are at hand washing after using the restroom..

It's also best to avoid eating things with your bare hands (bread, etc) especially if you've touched something the general population is using.

That's the ultimate way to stay safe. Wouldn't matter WHAT you put your hands in, if you don't put your hands to your face. After my son and I got noro, our takeaway was to not put our hands to face.

Of course, if you're eating a sandwich, that's not really possible LOL.

Isn't the romaine thing about e coli? I think that's usually a hospital sort of illness, so I would assume it wasn't the lettuce.

That's the ultimate way to stay safe. Wouldn't matter WHAT you put your hands in, if you don't put your hands to your face. After my son and I got noro, our takeaway was to not put our hands to face.

Of course, if you're eating a sandwich, that's not really possible LOL.

Isn't the romaine thing about e coli? I think that's usually a hospital sort of illness, so I would assume it wasn't the lettuce.

Yes, there's a nasty outbreak of ecoli of unknown origin affecting romain right now. That can happen with any picked vegitable or fruit (not really a hospital kind of thing). Awfully hard to thoroughly wash those kinds of foods.

Last edited:
I assume that romaine lettuce has been "recalled" in the US, just as it has in Canada?

I went shopping at a mall yesterday (Edmonton, Alberta), and it was weird to see the empty lettuce displays in supermarkets, and signs throughout the food court saying that, for example, hamburgers would be served without lettuce until further notice.

Around ten years ago, I became severely ill while at Disneyland. Unfortunately, this happened about 6 hours after I had eaten a turkey leg. I'm sure the turkey leg had nothing to do with my illness, but my subconscious mind is telling me that the turkey leg was the cause. Alas, I've been unable to eat Disneyland turkey legs since that time.

I got food poisoning our last night in DL back in September. I am almost positive it was from Benihana. The chef put the fried rice that just started cooking in a bowl with his knife he just used to cut raw chicken to make a mickey shape on the grill. It was a horrible 13 hour drive home with several stops.

So sorry that happened.
You can easily catch something like that from any surface you touch at DL (or anyplace else). After getting sick like that at a buffet, we are religious about using hand sanitizer after handling the menu. If we get up to do anything during the meal, we sanitize again. It's also best to avoid eating things with your bare hands (bread, etc) especially if you've touched something the general population is using.
We can't expect Disney to keep surfaces free of nasty stuff with 50K people touching it mutilple times every day. And we all know how poor some people are at hand washing after using the restroom..
That's a really good point. Years ago, I got very sick after eating at the Stage Door Cafe. I could never figure out why as everything was deep fried and nothing had a chance of surviving. I probably touched the table or a chair and then put food in my mouth. That makes a lot more sense.

My family and I just got back from a great trip to Disneyland over Veteran's Day weekend with one exception. Our last park day (Mon) my son ordered a caesar salad ( made with romaine lettuce)at the French Market. That night he became extremely ill. I'll spare the details, but we were debating whether or not we should take him to the hospital. Ultimately he was able to keep down enough water that we felt he was ok to ride it out at home. At the time, I couldn't be sure which restaurant or meal could have caused it, given the different possibilities, but since the CDC's statements on romaine lettuce, it seems like that was likely the source. I've reported it to the Orange County Health Department. As of yesterday, romaine was still in the grocery stores here in San Diego, so I thought I'd let everyone here know our experience.
A general ecoli FYI: Ecoli incubation period is 2-5 days. 1 is possible. This was what 6-9 hours? So not likely.

It really could be anything. I got food poisoning from, I suspect, Carthay Circle and spent my entire birthday in the bathroom instead of at DLR, which sucked since I planned my whole trip so I could spend my bday there.

The thing about “food poisoning” is that it seems to be food borne, but without a doctor diagnosis it’s hard to say for sure sadly and then what food it came from.... I’d say mention it to Disney in case others also got sick and let them know too- so if there’s a pattern they would see it. I was jumped all over when my son got food poisoning twice during our trips (we almost exclusively eat at the parks and are crazy about washing hands and using wipes, etc), but the second time we went to the ER the doctor tested for and confirmed that was indeed the cause (they won’t/don’t usually test). No matter what he was sick from what a miserable experience and so so sorry you had to deal with that- it’s so sad with sick kiddos!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter