Food poisoning at Chef Mickey's dinner?

Nina1

Disney Lover
Hi all,

Several times on this forum various people have stated they may have gotten food poisoning at Chef Mickey's. Does anyone know if this is a recurring problem at this restaurant? We've got an ADR at Chef Mickey's for the day we arrive at WDW (arrive in afternoon, no parks until the next day) and I'd hate to start off our vacation this way. Any input you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!:goodvibes

Food poisoning would affect a great number of people and would be reported in the news, paper, ect. If it was a major problem, the restaurant would be closed.

A restaurant around here held a banquet where 30+ people got sick. The health department came to investigate and it turned out to be the norovirus. Someone brought it in ( a patron or a worker) and spread it.

I wouldn't worry too much. Think about all the people who eat there and don't get sick.

We eat here all the time and have never had any problems...

whenever we eat at buffets:
Even though we wash our hands we always bring hand sanitizer and use it AFTER we've touched the utensils in the buffet line when we sit down with our plates. With everyone touching them, then eating... yuck:sick:

Not to mention all the grab bars in the line queues and on the rides...

I guess I haven't seen those posts.

If this were truly a recurring problem it would be well-known news around here.

We have not gotten food poisoning at Chef Mickey's but we have stopped eating there in large part due to the buffet appearing very messy and dirty. We eat there at the very first seating (used to be every trip) and I can't imagine how messy it would be later when the floors and buffet are yucko looking by 5:30. We aren't huge buffet fans but have not had any issues at other WDW buffets including 1900, Akershus, Crystal Palace, and Tusker House. For some reason we seem to see lots of out of control kids there sticking hands in foods, etc and then the food just being stirred up and not removed whereas other places seem to be more on top of those things.

Food poisoning would affect a great number of people and would be reported in the news, paper, ect. If it was a major problem, the restaurant would be closed.

There are a ton of viruses floating around Disney. (Keep your mouth closed in those pools!) Too often people will catch one and blame being ill on the food they ate rather than the possibility that they happened into one. My son's a great one for this, every time he got sick he was convinced it was the food he ate, never a bug. :rotfl:

Last edited:
I haven't seen it myself.

But unless it's a number of people falling ill on the same day after eating at the same restaurant, it's probably a virus outbreak.

Eat there and never had a problem........we really enjoy this meal! I haven't
noticed the place being messy like mentioned before.....but I too have eaten at the earlier sittings! Go and enjoy, you will be fine

The amount of time it takes for food poisoning to show up is usually 8 hours after eating. I know people will argue and many people think they get sick a few hours after eating, but it takes 8 hours to begin showing symptoms. My parents were both in food service management for a large corporation and had to deal with food poisoning claims all the time. I have been hospitalized twice with severe food poisoning, the second time was from fish and the hospital had the fish tested to make sure it was the source. I made it for a late dinner one night and ate the rest for lunch the next day. I was in the emergency room about 15 hours after dinner, and was miserable waiting for the lunch to hit me another 12-15 hours after that, the second bout was even worse. The bacteria had grown and I also knew what was coming. The ER told me that because of the time lag, most people have a hard time pinning down the source or have no extra food left. I of course had plenty because I made a huge dinner from the contaminated fish for all of my friends and took some more to my co-workers for lunch the next day.

From personal experience, UNFORTUNATELY, I got food poisoning from a chinese restaurant and it was an awful experience. Many THINK that MANY people have to be affected to be a "true" food poisoning but what I have learned is that most people do not report it to the health dept at all, blowing it off as a "virus" and living thru it without getting tested (fecal/blood).

I did not know what hit me, hours later, as is true...the pain and "horror" (without getting into details) knocked me for a loop, eventually after being sick for hours, I was unable to even get up, so by ambulance I went, and was hospitalized for 3 days, on a morphine drip for a day!! It was an AWFUL experience!

The health dept was called in and they were fast to respond and get to the restaurant inspection which ultimately FAILED on that occasion and their follow up for several violations, ONE of which was for NOT properly storing rice at the correct temp which ultimately caused ME to get sick. The restaurant also had other violations as well. (And this is a VERY busy place, ate their many times before without issue) Doctors told me it WAS food poisoning and there was a "type" that now eludes me.

Do I need to add, I have had NO CHINESE food since. Even the smell of it gets me "crazy."

By the way, the dept of health tracks (on line in my area) EVERY single restaurant or food establishment they have inspected, with full disclosure of the details. I learned AFTER I got sick, that they/restaurant has had 2 previous cases, (and several other violations) SAME scenario, makes me sick (no pun intended) that they did not get it corrected....

Perhaps their "insurance carrier" will be now be sure they keep ALL IN CHECK!

Lots of people blame food poisoning however look at the number of people touching the serving spoon on the buffet.:scared: If only takes one person adult or child to really spread a virus.:eek: We really try to remember to prell after going through the buffet line.

We eat here all the time and have never had any problems...

whenever we eat at buffets:
Even though we wash our hands we always bring hand sanitizer and use it AFTER we've touched the utensils in the buffet line when we sit down with our plates. With everyone touching them, then eating... yuck:sick:

Not to mention all the grab bars in the line queues and on the rides...
good call I never think about that at food places lines ya i will do that Thank u

We go to weekly trivia at one particular restaurant near our home. After a few "incidences", I'm never going to order a salad from there again. It's not food poisoning at all. It's simply something on the lettuce that doesn't agree with me. My husband gets a salad every week. He's fine. If I do, well, that's why I don't.

Food poisoning is also a very convenient thing to blame a hangover on. "Must have been something I ate!"

Thanks all for your responses. We'll be sure to use the Purell after getting our food.

Thanks all for your responses. We'll be sure to use the Purell after getting our food.

Purell is my friend at WDW...heck anywhere! I carry it with me at all times and use it often. When we go to a buffet anywhere, we always keep the bottle on the table and then everybody can use it. :thumbsup2

Most food poisoning/bed bug posts come from 1st time posters who we don't hear much from again. Usually they are sure to put those words in the title of the question. If there were any sort of big problem the news media would be sure to cover it from every angle for weeks. So don't concern yourself.

Most food poisoning/bed bug posts come from 1st time posters who we don't hear much from again. Usually they are sure to put those words in the title of the question. If there were any sort of big problem the news media would be sure to cover it from every angle for weeks. So don't concern yourself.

I have to agree here!

Many complain that buffets are a mess or get dirty. Are these the same parents/adults who send their kids to the buffet solo because we don't feel like getting up? Buffets don't just magically get dirty someone makes it that way. Certainly the CMs can do the clean up, but it is up to us adults to minimize the mess and let's be honest, a lot of us just don't bother at Disney. I doubt that same 7yo is fixing his our her own plate at home.

My grandmother took me on my first and only childhood trip to Disney. We definitely ate at buffets while we traveled. Back in those days it only took a glance to be reminded of the proper behavior. :lmao: :scared1: I often sit near the dessert bar at a buffet, not because I can't wait to get dessert, but watching kids literally lose there minds there can be somewhat entertaining. I can assure you 80% of the time no adults are with those kids.

I enjoy buffets because of the variety. If I see something I don't like in terms of a cross contaminated untensil or batch of an item, I'll either ask for a new serving item or skip the buffet item. We all have to use our judgement and some chose to simply avoid buffets.

Hi all,

Several times on this forum various people have stated they may have gotten food poisoning at Chef Mickey's. Does anyone know if this is a recurring problem at this restaurant? We've got an ADR at Chef Mickey's for the day we arrive at WDW (arrive in afternoon, no parks until the next day) and I'd hate to start off our vacation this way. Any input you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!:goodvibes

Picking up a virus or bacteria is a easy thing to do. There are hundreds of cases at Disney every day. When you bring hundreds of thousands of people together from all over the world together in one place every day, people get sick. It not intentional and proving the source is almost impossible.

We got sick a year ago at WDW, and ended up in the hospital overnight. The hospital said that they see cases everyday. That night there were five families there with the same symptoms. It took several days to get over it and our vacation was ruined, but those things happen. Wash your hands regularly and use common sense and you should be OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter