Food Intolderances and dining at Disney

JUJU814

DIS Veteran
Leaving to see Mickey in three weeks.

Since my last trip, I've been diagnosed with diabetes and it's now severe..to the point where I'm about to be put on insulin.

I can't afford to mess up and am so worried about what I'm going to eat at all these great restaurants!

To make matters worse, I am now on a gluten free diet.

Can you get gluten free foods/entries at Disney?

Do I need to let them know ahead of time? Or can you just mention it when you get to the restaurant?

Gluten free is so amazing at Disneyworld! I was almost in tears so many times last year when my husband and I went because I had so many choices! When you make a reservation for a table service meal you just have to check the box for the gluten allergy. If you've already made your reservations you just have to call them and get them to add it. For quick service just ask to speak to a manager and they will tell you all the options you have. Seriously it is the best place I have ever been for gluten free. I'm not sure about a diabetic diet but I'm sure they'll be able to accomodate you!

For the best info on the Dis, I suggest that you go over to the disABILITIES board. They can give you all kinds of information about dining at WDW with dietary restrictions.

As the PP noted, all you have to do is call WDW-DINE and speak with one of the CMs (I'm assuming that you have already made your ADRs). Simply have them note that you are on a diabetic + gluten free diet. When you get to the restaurant, make sure that you remind your server. A chef will come out and speak with you. If it is a buffet, they will let you know which dishes would be appropriate for your diet. They really do bend over backwards to accommodate those with dietary challenges.

CS meals can be more of a challenge in that individual places will have a more restricted menu, and don't stock a lot of alternative foods. But you can certainly speak with someone at each CS restaurant about your dietary needs. Just don't be too upset if they are limited in what they can do for you. It would be a very good idea to familiarize yourself with the menus before you go so that you are fairly familiar with which CS places would likely suit you best.

I think you will find it challenging. Disney doesn't really understand a diabetic diet means more than "no sugar". In fact, they'll suggest things like tarts as a good dessert option, when they're high in carbs and contain sugar alcohol, both of which are no-nos for a diabetic diet. They DO understand gluten free, however. You should assume that you will not be eating dessert at any meal. I can't think of any dessert at WDW that doesn't have wheat and isn't heavily invested in carbs or sugar. You'll have choices when it comes to entrees. There are some appetizers on property that you'll be able to have, but many will be on the "definitely not" side of your diet.

That said, you can find things to eat on every menu, especially if you stick to a total carb meal plan and can estimate the number of carbs based upon the description of the dish. You should definitely note your diabetic and gluten free diet on your adr's, and alert your server to it as well. Because Disney doesn't publish the nutritional data for ANY of their restaurants, you're just going to have to guess carb counts in a lot of cases.

Be sure to take your meter and test strips, of course, for after-the-fact corrections of your insulin level if you are actually put on insulin before you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter