• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

food cost $1000. enough

huckster

DIS Veteran
for three people a mom a dad and a 13yr which goes as an adult , we do charactor breakfast and dinner,for 6 days?

A character Breakfast would be $16.95 per adult and a dinner would be $21.95 before tax and tip. Some prices include beverage, some don't. Are you planning 2 character meals a day? If so it will be close. If not it should be enough combined with some cheaper alternatives. Suggest you buy water at WalMart or Publix. Much cheaper than $2 a bottle in the park.

I am always amazed by the people who do non stop Character meals. How do you get to eat and digest your food with the constant interuptions to interact with characters and take pictures? I do think that $1000 will be enough for 6 days of food for three people. You may want to cut back on the amount of Charater meals they have some great restaurants that have no characters but are relaxed meals with out indigestion. Just pleasant conversation and perhaps some entertainment. We enjoyed the Opera singer at the restarant in Italy last year she was wonderful and didn't care if she got picture taken with you.

Everybody does things differently, I guess. Our last trip in Feb., 14-year-old DD and I did a character breakfast at Artist Point -- the first time she's ever done a character meal, and we've been to the World every other year since she was very small. Another day DH, DD, and I all went to Whispering Canyon for breakfast. And we did have dinner at the Concourse Steak House one night. Other than that, we either ate off-site or had fast food in the parks or at Roaring Forks. We try very hard to cut back on food because we feel that's the one area we can control somewhat.

I find that using the menus at www.wdwig.com is a great way to plan a food budget. we are planning on $1700 for myself, DH, and 3 DS's (9, 7, & 3 yrs) for 11 days, so I should think that you will be fine.

We are character meal junkies too! LOL

During our 1998 trip, we were family of three, dh, me and dd was 4.5 yo. We had 6 character meals for a one week trip!

We are now a family of four, dd is now 7 yo and ds is 16 months old. Just got back last month and we did 5 character meals plus dd did the Wonderland Tea with Alice!

We are not extremely weathly, we just know what we like and save the cash for it.

Here are tips on saving money and eating at character meals:

Go to breakfasts instead of lunches and dinners. Generally they are less expensive and it's a great way to start the day. Kids are happier in the morning too and you don't have to worry about rushing thru parks to make a PS. You are sooooo full with the breakfasts you won't likely need too much food the rest of the day!
We had a nice break in the middle of the afternoon just sitting at MK munching on granola bars looking at the castle!

Good Morning to another Michigander!
Have you had the character breakfasts before?
We once did the Crystal Palce buffet (Magic Kingdom). LOTS of food choices, and we didn't eat until much later that evening. So even though the price is high; it will save you the cost of lunch. The dinner meals are much more expensive. I would highly recommend the Hoop Dee Do show though. Expensive, but the entertainment is great.
Since you have a13 year old, maybe they can choose a couple. Like some of the other posters I will be surprised if you will want two character meals a day. They do take away from the park time too.
The one disappointing thing at Disney is the food prices! They are so expensive. I agree with the other poster --take your own bottled water if you are driving down.
Whatever you decide I hope the three of you have a wondeful vacation.

We went for the first time and stayed at WL in April with 2 ds ages 2and5. We did several character breakfasts and too many nice dinners. I recommend considering the following:

1. Don't do an early character breakfast on an early entry day at the park you are going to. You waste time. eating in the room is much more time efficient.

2. 3 character meals is probably enough. We did Chef Mickey's for bfast and dinner. The atmosphere was great. I actually liked the dinner food better. Artist point was good also. We also did Garden grill for bfast. Iwould look closely at my itinerary and decide where you want long meals. Your 16 mo old will love the character bfasts,though.

3.Make priority seatings prior to leaving. When we tried to change ressies, there was often nothing available or only very early or late times. I made ressies about 4-6 weeks ahead.

4. Don't plan a meal across WDW from where you are in your room or the park. Transportation often takes longer then you think. I set us up for being late by doing this with my planning. Next time I'll know more.

5. Don't do too many fancy restaurants with a small child . Ours had to be walked around outside at 3 restaurants. I'd rather have pbj in the room.

6. Read the restaurant reviews here and on wdwig.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter