food allergies: Popcorn at WDW and Disneyland changing to new brand

Starwind

DIS Veteran
Per media reports and a press release, Disney has "entered into a long-term strategic alliance agreement with Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort tied to its Pop Secret brand premium popcorn. Pop Secret popcorn is now the official popcorn of Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California." As a result, "Disney will begin selling freshly popped Pop Secret popcorn at popcorn carts throughout Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...eam-up-for-multi-year-alliance-300143163.html

This has significant consequences for anyone with food allergies, especially milk allergies. The current popcorn Disney uses does not contain dairy. Pop Secret popcorn does unless they use some special dairy-free version not made on the same equipment as their normal product.

This is unfortunate as thanks to a multiple food allergies, including dairy, WDW popcorn is one of the few snacks I can actually have. I try to have popcorn each trip. No more. :-(

SW

I just sent a message to Pop Secret corporate via Contact Us:
I just saw that Pop Secret popcorn will become the popcorn at Walt Disney World. My milk-free son is about to go on his wish trip there in October/November. I and two other of my children also have the milk allergy. Will you be providing a milk-free version to Disney World or will we be unable to have popcorn while he is there due to this change? Can you confirm the date which Pop Secret will begin to be used at WDW?

If I get a response, I'll let you all know.

Yikes, I sure hope they offer a dairy free version. This is one of the only snacks my twins can eat at WDW.

I just sent a message to Pop Secret corporate via Contact Us:
I just saw that Pop Secret popcorn will become the popcorn at Walt Disney World. My milk-free son is about to go on his wish trip there in October/November. I and two other of my children also have the milk allergy. Will you be providing a milk-free version to Disney World or will we be unable to have popcorn while he is there due to this change? Can you confirm the date which Pop Secret will begin to be used at WDW?

If I get a response, I'll let you all know.

You really have 3 different questions here and Pop Secret will possibly not be able to answer 2 of them.

1. Does Pop Secret have a milk-free version? - This one Pop Secret should absolutely be able to answer.

2. If they do make a milk-free version, is this going to be available for purchase at WDW? - This will likely be a choice that WDW will make so they would be the best place to ask.

3. When is WDW going to start selling Pop Secret instead of the current brand? - This is again a choice that WDW will make, so they will again be the best place to ask.

Hope you get answers to all your questions and hope that they are the answers you are hoping for!

Anybody hear anything yet? I'm afraid the tell my 15 year old. Every single park day she has to get a tub. She even got popcorn mouse ears several years ago because she loved the stuff so much.

I called WDW special diets a couple days ago and they said they still didn't have a date for the switchover to Pop Secret popcorn yet?

I would not panic yet.
The Pop Secret microwave popcorn contains dairy, but so does the microwave Orville Redinbocker.
The popcorn wagons at WDW use popcorn kernels though and Pop Secret product marking for dairy is a D, which the plain kernels don't have.

http://www.popsecret.com/faq/

I would not panic yet.
The Pop Secret microwave popcorn contains dairy, but so does the microwave Orville Redinbocker.
The popcorn wagons at WDW use popcorn kernels though and Pop Secret product marking for dairy is a D, which the plain kernels don't have.

Exactly. Most likely all Pop Secret will do is provide the kernels and Disney will use their own mix to flavour.

I would not panic yet.

Exactly. Most likely all Pop Secret will do is provide the kernels and Disney will use their own mix to flavour.

I would only start worrying if they start to install microwaves at the pop corn stands. :)

But really this is a marketing thing, Pop Secret is also sponsoring Fantasmic.

Just finishing a week long trip and noticed that the popcorn locations I visited (Liberty Square and outside MoyseGears) have switched to Pop Secret according to the binders. This is just for the kernels. The oil and salt have not changed.

Popcorn is my son's favorite snack. But the oil they use has coconut oil in it. He's allergic to both peanuts & tree nuts so it's not an option for him. I'll be interested to see if they change the kernels but keep the same oil. Stupid allergies - they all SUCK!!!

Popcorn is my son's favorite snack. But the oil they use has coconut oil in it. He's allergic to both peanuts & tree nuts so it's not an option for him. I'll be interested to see if they change the kernels but keep the same oil. Stupid allergies - they all SUCK!!!
Have you checked with your allergist on coconut? It's not actually a nut, but a fruit, and many people with tree nut allergies can have cocnut just fine. For some bizare reason, the FDA decided to call coconut a tree nut. Unless there's a separate coconut allegy, don't necessarily toss out popcorn.

Have you checked with your allergist on coconut? It's not actually a nut, but a fruit, and many people with tree nut allergies can have cocnut just fine. For some bizare reason, the FDA decided to call coconut a tree nut. Unless there's a separate coconut allegy, don't necessarily toss out popcorn.

I second this.

In fact, in Canada, coconut is NOT classified as a "tree nut" by Health Canada. See: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/pubs/securit/2012-allergen_treenuts-noix/index-eng.php

From that page QUOTE:

Should I avoid coconut and nutmeg if I have a tree nut allergy?

A coconut is a seed of a fruit and nutmeg is obtained from the seeds of a tropical tree. Coconut and nutmeg are not considered tree nuts for the purposed of food allergen labelling in Canada and are not usually restricted from the diet of someone allergic to tree nuts. However, some people have reacted to coconut and nutmeg. Consult your allergist before trying coconut or nutmeg products.

Finally, Allergic Living magazine has a good article on the issue of coconut: http://allergicliving.com/2013/06/12/are-coconuts-safe-with-tree-nut-allergy/

SW

He was tested for coconut & is allergic. He was positive for every nut known to man - right down to the tiny little pine nut. So unfortunately sounds like he'll have to continue to skip the popcorn. I know it's such a small part of Disney but it's everywhere you look. Disappointing for him even though he knows it's a no-no. But I still think Disney is the best place to vacation for those with food allergies. They've always gone above & beyond for us. Takes a great deal of stress off of this worrisome mommy!

He was tested for coconut & is allergic. He was positive for every nut known to man - right down to the tiny little pine nut. So unfortunately sounds like he'll have to continue to skip the popcorn. I know it's such a small part of Disney but it's everywhere you look. Disappointing for him even though he knows it's a no-no. But I still think Disney is the best place to vacation for those with food allergies. They've always gone above & beyond for us. Takes a great deal of stress off of this worrisome mommy!

Sorry to hear he is allergic to coconut too. As an adult who is anaphylactic to milk, tree nuts, peanuts, and seafood (fish, shellfish, etc), coconut in its various forms is one of the things I am really glad I can still have.

We also think Disney is the best place to vacation with food allergies; I have consistently had great experiences at both WDW and on DCL. makes traveling so much easier.

I have traveled elsewhere for work and leisure and accommodating the food allergies was quite a challenge. So much easier on a Disney trip.

An idea for your WDW trip that may just work:
(and you can try the popcorn at home to make sure you like it)

Ingredients:
Skinny Pop popcorn (flavour of your choice -- I have tried Original and White Cheddar and love them both!! http://skinnypop.com/our-popcorn/ )
Plastic popcorn bucket (from WDW; see below)

Recipe:
Acquire empty Disney popcorn bucket (so it was not knowingly cross-contaminated).
Clean popcorn bucket thoroughly.
Fill with Skinny Pop popcorn. ENJOY !

I really like the (simpler style) plastic buckets WDW sells with their popcorn (for an extra charge of course). They are a great souvenir and can be used for all kinds of things at home :-) I am reasonably sure that at one of those popcorn stands they would sell you an empty new plastic bucket, even if you had to pay the full cost and thus are paying for popcorn you don't get (or maybe they could give you the popcorn in a normal cardboard container ?).

I like this simple style of them: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Animal-Kingdom-Souvenir-Popcorn-Bucket.jpg and http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.c...content/uploads/2015/09/popbuckLARGE15363.jpg .

But there are also crazy fancy styles like these: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/05/who-can-resist-disney-parks-popcorn/ According to that Disney post, the buckets were $12 each in 2013.

So, bucket acquired, you need popcorn !!

Becoming dairy allergic several years ago, I quickly learned that pretty much almost all microwave or prepared popcorn has milk ingredients. Very disappointing (I did eventually find a small number of microwave ones that are safe; and have recently discovered a microwave popper that uses normal plain kernals and pops them -- and can do it with no oil at all -- which is great for home, but not for travel).

A couple years ago I discovered the SKINNY POP brand of pre-popped popcorn. I fell in love. I cried. I yelped. I did a little dance in the Walgreen's store I found it in (and ignored the strange looks). Since then I have found it in more and more stores, including several near me.

Here's the deal with it. Their website: http://skinnypop.com/ . I really like the Original and White Cheddar flavours. From their Original product page ( http://skinnypop.com/our-popcorn/original/ ): (QUOTE)

Ingredients: Popcorn, sunflower oil and salt.
Our products are made in our allergen free production facility and are completely nut, egg, and dairy free.

no artificial ingredients // non GMO // gluten free // dairy free // peanut free // tree nut free // preservative free // no artificial flavors // zero trans fat // a good source of fiber // and delicious!

(END QUOTE)

For me, this stuff is SAFE. It is DELICIOUS. It is some kind of wonderful. I love it. I have to ration it at home. YMMV and you may want to contact the company to confirm product safety for your family.

For WDW and DCL trips, I have both brought a package with me, and ordered a package to be delivered to our resort (I ordered from Amazon and have Amazon prime, but there are many alternatives). Also, given how easy it is to find around here now, I would expect you could find it at grocery stores in Orlando. The Skinny Pop website has a store locator on it. Bring some sandwich/quart ziploc bags and it is easy to portion out for snacks. And of course, from the big bag you can fill the Popcorn Bucket !! :-) If you want, Skinny Pop DOES come in small snack size pouches, too; but of course it is usually cheaper to get the bigger bags.

It won't be exactly WDW popcorn. But it will be popcorn in the WDW bucket, AT WDW, which is half the fun of the popcorn anyway ! :-) (and it is very yummy popcorn, did I mention that???).

Hope this helps !!

SW

He was tested for coconut & is allergic.

Follow your Dr's advice. I will say that coconut allergies are very very rare. Unless you have seen an actual reaction to a food, it's not the best to test for an allergy because the tests are 50/50 in the accuracy department. Many allergy friendly foods have coconut derivatives in them so avoiding can be difficult so it would be great to know for sure if it's an actual allergy or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter