• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Foldable high back booster?

poohs_hunny

DIS Veteran
Can anyone recommend a foldable high back booster to put bring with us for the rental car? The price of renting one through the car agency is ridiculous. Or is it better to just bring a non foldable booster and gate check it?

I would bring your own and use it on the plane. Or get AAA whose discount codes include a free seat with the Hertz family of agencies. Once my kids were big enough to be in a booster, we went with a BubbleBum.

I would bring your own and use it on the plane. Or get AAA whose discount codes include a free seat with the Hertz family of agencies. Once my kids were big enough to be in a booster, we went with a BubbleBum.
Boosters can‘t be used on a plane. We have been using Hertz but prices are awful for our upcoming trip in August. We are starting in Tampa, going to Clearwater Beach, and then driving to Disney so we were preferably wanting a high back booster so my daughter will be more comfortable and hopefully will sit properly in the seat. She is 5.

I guess just gate check your own booster seat? Or just use the backless one and stow it in the overhead compartment as a carry on?

Not the best idea, but is there a walmart near where you are picking up a car? Maybe bring a backless booster on the plane and buy one as soon as you get a car.

I have a Viaggio Flex for my 5yo. It’s our main booster in one of our cars and the one we use for travel. It’s crazy easy to buckle and fits folded in the overhead compartment of the plane. It’s a bit pricey but it’s my daughter’s favorite seat and we’ve never had an issue with it fitting in any car.

The booster used on a plane has to have a 5 point harness. We brought ours onto the plane and then had it for the car. Both kids are used to it and since they were contained they slept :)
Can anyone recommend a foldable high back booster to put bring with us for the rental car? The price of renting one through the car agency is ridiculous. Or is it better to just bring a non foldable booster and gate check it?

They are getting older and I am thinking of getting an inflatable one for travel. I have been looking at
the BumbleBum or Hiccapop. They have to be 40 pounds and 4 years old for any style booster that doesn´t use a 5 point harness.

I tend to "downgrade" my kids' seats for travel, so the (now) 6 year old used a backless booster for our cruise last summer. He's already booster training at home in our second vehicle....sometimes with a back, sometimes without. We took a car service to/from the cruise terminal last summer, so I got to watch him the whole time, and remind him to sit properly.
We carried both backless Cosco Rises in a reusable shopping back, and stored them at our youngest's feet on the plane.

None of the foldable or inflatable booster seats are rated very highly by the IIHS. I've tried both the Bubblebum and the mifold, and neither are all that easy to use IMO. Specifically they've been hard for my kids to use on their own.
The Cosco Rise is cheap, lightweight, and my kids can typically buckle themselves with proficiency.

I tend to "downgrade" my kids' seats for travel, so the (now) 6 year old used a backless booster for our cruise last summer. He's already booster training at home in our second vehicle....sometimes with a back, sometimes without. We took a car service to/from the cruise terminal last summer, so I got to watch him the whole time, and remind him to sit properly.
We carried both backless Cosco Rises in a reusable shopping back, and stored them at our youngest's feet on the plane.

None of the foldable or inflatable booster seats are rated very highly by the IIHS. I've tried both the Bubblebum and the mifold, and neither are all that easy to use IMO. Specifically they've been hard for my kids to use on their own.
The Cosco Rise is cheap, lightweight, and my kids can typically buckle themselves with proficiency.
I read the report. Thanks for the heads up. I´ll keep looking.

My Mifold has a lot of miles on it, I don't think it's hard to use at all. If I am gatechecking a stroller, I bring a cheap solid backless one, because that's even easier. I attach it with a hook to the stroller.

My Mifold has a lot of miles on it, I don't think it's hard to use at all. If I am gatechecking a stroller, I bring a cheap solid backless one, because that's even easier. I attach it with a hook to the stroller.
I was looking into that one. The size looks great for traveling. Did the child complain about the comfort? Would you recommend it?

I was looking into that one. The size looks great for traveling. Did the child complain about the comfort? Would you recommend it?
It's fussier than throwing in a cheap solid one, but can't argue with the footprint. My child is pretty compliant on this kind of thing, so I'm not too worried about trying to sit wrong or anything.

This is what I take when we, say go to a theater and need to Uber later in the night.

We used one, I wasn't a fan. It's not super intuitive but it will get the job done...personally, I'd rather just take a backless booster and throw it in the overhead compartment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter