• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flynn Rider in MK Beginning July 12th

People want photos and autographs. They need to give this up. It seems they tried to transform Characterpalooza into this sort of a thing and it was just comical.

And Flynn? LOL. I don't see that going well.

I know people long for the days when characters wandered the parks. But the parks had far lower attendance in those days. And people didn't carry cell phones (with cameras) in those days either.

I love Flynn Rider and would love it if this worked out. The best character experience we have had was at Universal IOA when Spiderman came out of no where, talked to my very surprised children for a few minutes (trying to convince them to put down the harry potter souveniers and buy a Spiderman toy) and then left. No photos, no autographs just a great memory. I don't know how well this would work at Disney though.....

Some of my kids' favorite moments were seeing characters walking to their meet and greets, like the stepsisters, so I think that this would be fun! Just seeing characters walking around, even if they didn't stop and chat, would be a thrill.

Some of my kids' favorite moments were seeing characters walking to their meet and greets, like the stepsisters, so I think that this would be fun! Just seeing characters walking around, even if they didn't stop and chat, would be a thrill.

I am quoting my own post to say my favorite moments of my kids being surprised and excited.

I fear that mom2rtk is right, but I hope this could work. I think people want a visit, an autograph and a photo because they've been trained they can have it. Possibly if this becomes a known type of character sighting, people will get that there are characters with queues and FPs, but there are also character "sightings" that don't include stopping to visit.

As a PP said, we've enjoyed catching the stepsiisters on their way to their meet, and Aladdin and Jasmine in MK as well, and everyone could see that they were on their way somewhere, not stopping for photos, and it was a cool wave hello. It's not totally unlike the notion that in a parade or dance party, you'll see the character, but they won't be stopping for a posed shot or autograph.

I hope they're able to incorporate stuff like this - an anti-over-planning move!

I fear that mom2rtk is right, but I hope this could work. I think people want a visit, an autograph and a photo because they've been trained they can have it. Possibly if this becomes a known type of character sighting, people will get that there are characters with queues and FPs, but there are also character "sightings" that don't include stopping to visit.

As a PP said, we've enjoyed catching the stepsiisters on their way to their meet, and Aladdin and Jasmine in MK as well, and everyone could see that they were on their way somewhere, not stopping for photos, and it was a cool wave hello. It's not totally unlike the notion that in a parade or dance party, you'll see the character, but they won't be stopping for a posed shot or autograph.

I hope they're able to incorporate stuff like this - an anti-over-planning move!

I agree it would be nice. But Flynn Rider is probably not the one to test this out on. I don't see how he doesn't get mobbed every time he steps out. Those other characters you mention are all meetable in the parks at other times. Flynn is not (except MVMCP last year).

So this play test is going to be like the dance parties where you're not supposed to be doing M&G's, but you can still "interact" with the characters...

I agree with everything you said mom2rtk but I wish this would work and they continue. I love that they are doing it!! I've seen the Peter Pan in Disneyland videos- running and playing. Love it.

But PP also does meet and greets where you stand in a clumpy line.

I love Flynn Rider and would love it if this worked out. The best character experience we have had was at Universal IOA when Spiderman came out of no where, talked to my very surprised children for a few minutes (trying to convince them to put down the harry potter souveniers and buy a Spiderman toy) and then left. No photos, no autographs just a great memory. I don't know how well this would work at Disney though.....

Sounds like he was on his way to or from his official space. Spidey has serious meeting times. He has his own office basically! So it's fun to have quick interaction, because if you want more you know where to find him.

Wandering is fun but IMO only when they are on their way to a spot to have a good meet n greet. Otherwise it ends like the Jack Sparrow encounters I watched at DL where he was just being a pirate and people just wanted a character to take pictures with.

I agree it would be nice. But Flynn Rider is probably not the one to test this out on. I don't see how he doesn't get mobbed every time he steps out. Those other characters you mention are all meetable in the parks at other times. Flynn is not (except MVMCP last year).

That is a good point. I was thinking more of the general concept and not this particular character. I didn't know whether he had any meets, but for sure this will be harder to pull off with a popular and rare character.

I love this in theory, but this will not work.

I'm old and have been going since the parks opened as a kid. They stopped doing this because it stopped working around the time when polaroid photos and video cameras were everywhere, so fast forward to now and it's going to be a hot swarming mess unless he's covered in character attendants and a place where people can line up.

They had to ban selfie sticks because people were klonking other people with them. Now you're going to have male characters pop up and you think THAT will go well? How fast can you run? How will throwing one guy in the mix appease the parents who complain it's all princesses?

I'm all for increasing characterpaloozas in all the parks, but if safety (ala ktp) is their reasoning behind changing characterpalooza (which btw we ADORE and have never seen anything but a very polite and happy group waiting for M&Gs) LESS planning makes less sense and for less safety.

Poor guy playing Flynn :(

Besides, with Flynn it's not little kids that want to meet him. It's their moms............ :)

Whaaaattt??? Mom's chasing after Flynn walking unaccompanied through the park and within in my, I mean their reach???? That's just crazy talk. :rolleyes1
I suppose the 3 words that come to mind for a surprise encounter with Flynn out and about in the park would be............. BEST DAY EVER.
And here's 2 more...........YES PLEASE :love:

We saw Goody in swim trunks walking around Blizzard Beach waving and acting silly. Does he meet somewhere there? We were in the lazy river the first time we saw him walking and waving, then we saw him again up on the paths.

So let me get this straight:

*No photos
*No autographs
*No stopping
*Wandering through the busiest and most-narrow part of the park

What, exactly, is Disney thinking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter