Flying with Toddlers - airport transport and stroller questions

We have always flown with car seats (installed on the plane) and never taken a stroller. We rented a stroller from City Stroller rentals three separate times and were very happy with the service. I'm a big fan of using car seats on the plane both for safety and convenience plus we have needed them on arrival before. We once had a minor disaster than involved us getting removed from our flight (involved vomit). The airline rebooked us but didn't have enough seats out of SNA for a couple of days. Instead they booked us out of LAX but we had to get ourselves there. Without the car seats we would have been in a serious pinch.

The stroller/no stroller thing is really a matter of how your family likes to travel. We prioritize checking as few bags as possible. That means we each have a backpack and carry on sized bag. Our first trip was when our twins were 2 and they had their little backpacks and trunkis (so cute, btw!). Only one was a runner and she was preoccupied by pulling her pretty suitcase so didn't stray too far. DH and I were hauling car seats and our own bags so a stroller was just another thing to deal with and I didn't want to. A friend always checks multiple bags and would happily take a stroller for in the airport. We preferred to have the kids walk and burn off steam before/after sitting for hours.

Flown to Disney many times with daughter and then niece, always brought our big stroller and car seat, no bag; gate checked both once daughter was no longer a baby and just had her sit in the normal airplane seat. Always took a taxi from LGB and never had any problems using the car seat. Once or twice they couldn’t quite get the stroller through x-ray so they scanned it separately but was never a big deal. At least 10 trips or more, no problems.

Plus the stroller was great for pushing around the car seat in the airport!

Flying southwest, with two cosco scenera seats will be fine. Either choose two windows and two middles and one aisle, or they will let you stack two car seats (one middle and one window) usually in the case of a parent traveling alone with two kids. DO NOT choose the row directly behind the exit row or the exit row (SW regulation that you cant sit there with a car seat). If your littles are forward facing at home in the car then you can forward face in the airplane and they will be able to use the tray table. If they are still rear facing then you can do that too (bonus is that they can't kick the seat in front of them lol). One key thing is to lift up the armrests before installing the seat and that will give you a little more space in the row.
For the stroller, we have a city mini GT and we bought the travel bag for it. We have gate checked it and also checked it with luggage. When checked as regular luggage it came out the odd sized baggage claim area and it actually came out faster than our regular luggage in SNA. When checked at the gate we had to wait a while at the gate to retrieve it. The other option is to just buy two small umbrella strollers (usually less than $20/each and use those in the park) my little man hated to be in the stroller in the park and would only ride in it when he was exhausted and when going back and forth to the hotel. I also did a lot of babywearing as then he was up on my back and could see things easier (for parades, shows etc) and it made moving through the crowds much easier.

I detest traveling with car seats, so we find ways to not use them (DRE for Disneyland). We gate check our stroller in a bag - we use it in the airport like a luggage cart.

We have traveled with multiple babies age 4 mos preemie to 3.5. It is easiest to bring your car Cosco (what we also had) seat on the plane.

We bring our stroller and put the car seats on it.

We put the kids in baby carriers. Think toddler Lenny lamb.

Happy travels! I think you’ll have a great time. :)

Thanks! This is especially helpful, as we are also flying Southwest!

Appreciate everyone's input.
It's possible the car seats will be more hassle than they are worth for such a short trip, but part of the purpose of flying is to practice for longer trips planned for next year when we definitely will need the car seats. :)
Yeah. Don’t get them used to walking around the plane. They’ll never forget!

i did not read through this thread.. But mom of 5 here all under 9 the last time we went to disneyland.
this was the first time we chose NOT to travel with a stroller and rent one at disney.. the air port was so much EASIER without a stroller to lug around !! All of our upcoming trips i will never again bring a stroller to the airport !!

OOh and i would definately use a shutter service that supplies carseats ! i couldnt imagine having to lug those around as well. Lansky is a great company

You've all given me so much to think about. Thank you!

My husband and I are really torn about both the car seats and the stroller now! Since I already ordered the seats, I'm going to wait until they get here, see how tricky they are to haul around and install, and then make a final decision.

I really loved having my own stroller at DL last spring, but we drove, so that was different. I agree with posters who worry about damage, even gate checking. We might rent.

Flying southwest, with two cosco scenera seats will be fine. Either choose two windows and two middles and one aisle, or they will let you stack two car seats (one middle and one window) usually in the case of a parent traveling alone with two kids. DO NOT choose the row directly behind the exit row or the exit row (SW regulation that you cant sit there with a car seat). If your littles are forward facing at home in the car then you can forward face in the airplane and they will be able to use the tray table. If they are still rear facing then you can do that too (bonus is that they can't kick the seat in front of them lol). One key thing is to lift up the armrests before installing the seat and that will give you a little more space in the row.

This is super helpful. Thank you! It helps me picture what our plane ride will look like. :)

1C818A39-E70B-464B-84DD-03590271A29A.jpeg I just had to add this, as a conclusion! Here is me with two car seats strapped to my back. OMG! I laugh out loud every time I look at it!

We ended up returning the seats and bag and decided we will go without for this short trip. Will probably do a private car service with car seat rentals. Disney shuttle with no car seat makes me nervous.

View attachment 349696 I just had to add this, as a conclusion! Here is me with two car seats strapped to my back. OMG! I laugh out loud every time I look at it!

We ended up returning the seats and bag and decided we will go without for this short trip. Will probably do a private car service with car seat rentals. Disney shuttle with no car seat makes me nervous.

Honestly I the Disneyland Express is a bus I would have no issue. Its not a shuttle van.

Wow ... that car seat bag is a tad crazy, lol. Since you will likely be doing this car seat thing for a while another tip. For times you are taking the stroller, the seats will nest together and sit on top. If you aren't taking a stroller a luggage cart or a MagnaCart (thats the one we use) works great and folds up easily to fit in the overhead or under the seat. We use the MagnaCart all the time at home (lugging in Costco purchases from our parking garage etc) so it doesn't feel like something I bought just for travelling with a toddler. You can just loop the tether strap around the cart handle and clib it back te storage hook and it will stay on the cart easily.

Honestly I the Disneyland Express is a bus I would have no issue. Its not a shuttle van.

Do you know if there are seatbelts on the Disneyland Express? Are these big, like the ones in Orlando?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter