Flying to aulani

Kingdome8

DIS Veteran
Starting to plan a trip. We are stopping in Disneyland before going to aulani.
We are coming from east coast and will fly southwest to John Wayne airport since we have points. Is it best to fly from Disneyland to aulani on SW or Hawaiian airlines? And would it be from SNA or LAX? Trying to find best options and airlines. Any one have experience with that? Or can offer any better suggestions? Thanks for help.

We are coming from east coast and will fly southwest to John Wayne airport since we have points. Is it best to fly from Disneyland to aulani on SW or Hawaiian airlines? And would it be from SNA or LAX? Trying to find best options and airlines. Any one have experience with that? Or can offer any better suggestions? Thanks for help.
We always fly Hawaiian and it’s great. That said, check the times and prices. Both of them will get you there! Hawaiian, to which I’m partial, has no change fees.

We’ve been happy with SWA for our past couple trips to Aulani. We fly direct from Long Beach (LGB) and have found super cheap flights. LAX is a big fat nope for us, so we prefer the smaller airports. I think Ontario (ONT) has direct flights on Hawaiian (or they did), but I haven’t looked into those at all.

To be honest, I would go with whatever flight works best for you for price and timing. Do a Google Flights search for your dates. You can search multiple departure airports in one search, so put in SNA, LGB and LAX. Filter for direct flights and look at your options. In my opinion all the possible airlines are somewhat comparable for this route and none are a red flag. So to me schedule and price would be the deciding factors.

Always fly Hawaiian if you want the true feel of “Aloha!” And I’m not just saying that because I live here in HNL! It’ll add to your overall Hawaii experience and when you arrive at Aulani, you’ll be blown away even more! The “Aloha Spirit” can’t be faked and with those 2 companies working for you…… it’ll be memorable! Good luck!

Last edited:

Always fly Hawaiian if you want the true feel of “Aloha!” And I’m not just saying that because I live here in HNL! It’ll add to your overall Hawaii experience and when you arrive at Aulani, you’ll be blown away even more! The “Aloha Spirit” can’t be faked and with those 2 companies working for you…… it’ll be memorable! Good luck!
That’s sounds great. I want the whole experience. Lol. Have you flown from Disneyland? Seems like easy flight. Also do You have Hawaiian airlines card by chance ? Wondering if worth it for the 70k points

FYI we recently flew Hawaiian for the first time. Generally a great experience. I made my booking MUCH more complicated by booking KOA to HNL and HNL to BOS as a multi-city trip. Then I had to adjust my dates, the schedule changed, etc, and I had to call in to make any updates. I wished I had done two separate one-way bookings, which can be modified online.

Edit for clarity: Our trip was: BOS to LAX (Disneyland!), LAX to KOA (visiting relatives/touring on the Big Island), both on Delta as I had credits to use; then KOA to HNL (Aulani), HNL to BOS, both on Hawaiian as they fly interisland and we wanted the direct flight home

That’s sounds great. I want the whole experience. Lol. Have you flown from Disneyland? Seems like easy flight. Also do You have Hawaiian airlines card by chance ? Wondering if worth it for the 70k points
Yes I do have the Hawaiian Miles CC and it all depends if it’s worth the points or saving it!

We found San Diego on Hawaiian was cheapest when we went. But you’ll have to play with the prices.
How long is that flight? Is it better to fly into there than LAX for Disney/LegoLand trip?

How long is that flight? Is it better to fly into there than LAX for Disney/LegoLand trip?
It’s about 1.5- 2 hours from DL, maybe 45 min from Legoland. SNA is WAY more convenient. But the cost difference can be worth it. LAX will also be closer… 45 min from DL with minimal traffic… but can be worse. My husband loathes LAX. Flight times to Hawaii are pretty comparable.
Check Long Beach though too. That’s almost as close as SNA and just as easy to navigate.
We actually live in Phoenix and saved $1800 ($1300 ish after hotel/gas/food) fir my family of 4 out of SD. It’s about 5.5 hour drive from here. It was worth it. Sorta. I’m hoping the difference isn’t as great this time so I don’t even consider it haha.

It’s about 1.5- 2 hours from DL, maybe 45 min from Legoland. SNA is WAY more convenient. But the cost difference can be worth it. LAX will also be closer… 45 min from DL with minimal traffic… but can be worse. My husband loathes LAX. Flight times to Hawaii are pretty comparable.
Check Long Beach though too. That’s almost as close as SNA and just as easy to navigate.
We actually live in Phoenix and saved $1800 ($1300 ish after hotel/gas/food) fir my family of 4 out of SD. It’s about 5.5 hour drive from here. It was worth it. Sorta. I’m hoping the difference isn’t as great this time so I don’t even consider it haha.
TONS of locals from here are relocating to Phoenix! Hopefully the aloha spirit we’ll get to you and your Ohana soon! Thank you so much for your insight!

If you're planning a trip to Legoland, then San Diego can work, but I wouldn't fly out of there unless you were staying in the San Diego area. So if you're starting at Disneyland, then staying in Carlsbad for Legoland, then flying out of San Diego makes total sense. If you're staying up in Orange county, as mentioned above, I'd fly out of Long Beach. Both Hawaiian and Southwest have great prices out of Long Beach, and its a very easy airport to fly in/out of.

If you're planning a trip to Legoland, then San Diego can work, but I wouldn't fly out of there unless you were staying in the San Diego area. So if you're starting at Disneyland, then staying in Carlsbad for Legoland, then flying out of San Diego makes total sense. If you're staying up in Orange county, as mentioned above, I'd fly out of Long Beach. Both Hawaiian and Southwest have great prices out of Long Beach, and its a very easy airport to fly in/out of.
Mahalo BlueRibbon!

We're flying out mid-week in August. I ended up booking Hawaiian out of Long Beach. The cost for the three of us to upgrade to first after factoring what the cost was to include bags was only $50 extra each. Totally worth it for us to have plusher seats for the flight. For reference, the first class out of Long Beach are just regular domestic type first class seats and not the "lay down" seats. Mostly, I'm looking forward to relaxing as it's a 7:30AM flight, then having a nice glass of POG to celebrate as we near the island.

We're flying out mid-week in August. I ended up booking Hawaiian out of Long Beach. The cost for the three of us to upgrade to first after factoring what the cost was to include bags was only $50 extra each. Totally worth it for us to have plusher seats for the flight. For reference, the first class out of Long Beach are just regular domestic type first class seats and not the "lay down" seats. Mostly, I'm looking forward to relaxing as it's a 7:30AM flight, then having a nice glass of POG to celebrate as we near the island.
First class??? Add a splash of rum in that glass! Have a great trip! Sounds like you’re off to a great start!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter