• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying SW from PHL with connection in ATL

joxer1014

DIS Veteran
So I am booked nonstop at 230pm and get to MCO around 450pm. Or I can leave PHL at 740am and connect thru ATL and arrive at 1230pm. The only thing Im on the fence about is the connection time. There is only an hour between landing and departure. I know that there can be circumstances making you late for the connection but has anyone done this first hand? Since ATL is so big, is SW only in one terminal or are they spread out between other terminals? The only reason I was thinking about it is because it is only $10 more if I switch. Our plans changed slightly and it would be a great help if we could get there 4 hours earlier. Please, any insight or experience would be a big help in making this decision.

Thank you

No insight but maybe check the ATL website to see what terminals Southwest uses .But the time you are leaving rush hour at PHL ( our home airport) . A back up on takeoff could make things tight. We only do connections if we have no other choice .

Southwest only operates out of Terminal C at ATL. My biggest concern with that itinerary is how long it takes to get anywhere on the ground at ATL and how upset would you be if you didn't make it to the gate before boarding started? I would probably do it just to get where I'm going earlier, and there are lots of flights from ATL-MCO if you miss your connection. I've made much shorter connections much further apart.

Southwest only operates out of Terminal C at ATL. My biggest concern with that itinerary is how long it takes to get anywhere on the ground at ATL and how upset would you be if you didn't make it to the gate before boarding started? I would probably do it just to get where I'm going earlier, and there are lots of flights from ATL-MCO if you miss your connection. I've made much shorter connections much further apart.
Well if you look at SW flights from PHL to MCO, there are only one or two listed for the whole day. The one I mentioned and one that gets you in at 450pm. Same as my nonstop. Both leaving at 740am. So you see my problem BTW I fly midweek in January

Assuming there is nothing preventing you from walking at a normal (or slightly faster than) normal walking pace, that is plenty of time to change gates ina single terminal.

I regularly change gates in about 15 minutes in ATL, and that's going from one end of C to one end of A or B.

For Delta, the arrival time is the time AT the gate, NOT the landing time.

To arrive 4 hours earlier, I'd always take the connection.

Like other posters said, SWA lands at the same terminal which is set up with all of the gates in 2 long rows. It’s much easy to switch on SWA in ATL than Delta. Here is a link to the airport. Best wishes on your travels. https://www.ifly.com/airports/hartsfield-jackson-atlanta-international-airport
Yes this! We used to fly Delta but their prices are crazy expensive from our small town to MCO. We had many flights with 30 minute layover and never missed the connection. We had to hustle though :)

Southwest only uses half of one terminal at ATL, so the walk will be 10 minutes at most. I would have no concerns booking that flight.

I hate connecting flights, but in your situation I'd seriously consider it.
Not sure where you live, but have you considered taking SW out of BWI instead of PHL? Their SW schedule is awesome compared to PHL since it's a major hub for them. Just a thought...have a fun trip!

Last edited:
We live close (within 30 minutes) to the PHL airport, which is very convenient. However, sadly, SWA has ceased to be a viable alternative for us. We have switched to American and it has gone pretty well. More non-stop choices, which we vastly prefer.

A concern I would consider is that winter travel can get tricky if a storm elsewhere causes a domino effect in the system. For that reason I would personally stick to a non-stop flight If you can.

In ATL right now. Went from B25 to F10 in about 20 min, including a bathroom stop.

As far as the weather PP mentioned, while true, it's more likely to upset later flights.

Well if you look at SW flights from PHL to MCO, there are only one or two listed for the whole day. The one I mentioned and one that gets you in at 450pm. Same as my nonstop. Both leaving at 740am. So you see my problem BTW I fly midweek in January
The pp is saying there are lots of flights from ATL- MCO. - Once you get to ATL if something happened and you didn't make the connection. Given the situation and knowing the location and frequency of flights from ATL, I'd do the connection to hopefully get in earlier. You'll likely make the connection no issue, but if you do have an issue, you should be able to get rebooked pretty quickly and if all else fails you could drive if you HAD to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter