flying in the same day as the cruise

erinfarber

Mouseketeer
My family will be on the Fantasy for the Aug.4Th Western Caribbean cruise. Our airline and transfers are through Disney. I am a little nervous, it seems most people fly in the day before. We are coming from NJ and I have no idea what the flight arrangements are. Apparently Disney sends you all this info. approx. 40 days before your cruise. Has anyone else used Disney to arrange airfare and transfer for the same day? Were there any problems?

We are flying in on August 10, for our cruise later that day. We've done that 1 other time. The only issue is that we leave ridiculously early (from Chicago), but it worked out fine. We won't plan to do it when the weather could be a factor, but figured we'd be safe in August.
We booked our own flights, but I'm sure Disney is great about it.
:)

Since you went with DCL air they will do everything in their power to get you to the ship. If there is some sort of delay or flight cancellation they will try to get you re-reouted. It is one of the benefits of DCL air. Also if somehow you miss the ship's departure then they will get you to the ship at the next port. We usually do our own air and fly in the day before and then stay at the Hyatt.

Given that you are flying in August you should be fine. I do prefer to fly the night prior, but you should be fine. If you were flying in the winter when weather is a larger factor I would also be more conservative. The only real threat in the summer are Thunderstorms, but convective activity typically occurs later in the day.

I will go ahead and give the standard disclaimer--it's coming sooner or later anyway. Flying in the day of your cruise is unnecessarily risky. There are plenty of other things besides weather that can cause flight delays and cancellations. And note that August is near-peak hurricane season.

I suppose there's some level of comfort that comes with booking air through Disney, but no way I recommend doing it without.

We're flying to Seattle in June for an Alaskan cruise and because of several factors, could not arrive the day before, so I had DCL book our flights. We are 41 days out and were able to pull up our flight info from the DCL website yesterday. I am so pleased with the times, connections, etc. that Disney arranged. Like you, I've been a little nervous about this, but so far it seems to have worked out just great. Good Luck!!!

No way could I let someone else book my air!

There is no cost savings, and you likely will get connecting flights, seats that split families up in the plane, and have to wait until a month or so before the cruise to find out what flight you are on.

I book non stop flights after our first cruise where we had a plane change.... never again. Trying to get 3 kids through DFW to get to the plane thats about to leave (we had to wait for several planes to push back from the gate only to get in with only a couple of minutes before the other flight left for MCO.....

As soon as the flights open for our April 2013 cruise, Ill book a non stop flight the day prior to the cruise, and have our seats all set up.

I guess the compulsive planner in me has to have things done so that the day of the cruise is no stress....

For 2 of the 3 cruises we took, we flew to MCO on the same day as the cruise departure and had no problem (all summer cruises). We'll do the same again this summer. Direct, morning flights to MCO. We booked them ourselves. Got off flight, checked in at DCL welcome center, took DCL bus to port, and immediately boarded the ship! :cool1:

Last year we flew in the day before, wanted to get to the brand-new Dream first thing in the morning! We were on the first bus to the port, and the port was horribly crowded and chaotic at 10:30 am, with everyone anxiously waiting to board the ship. A lot of waiting...:rolleyes1

Been there, done that - won't do again. Even if everything goes perfectly it's still stressful and the second day of the cruise until I can relax.

Been there, done that, don't do it if I have any choice.

Here's how it goes--we get up well before dawn to be at the airport for a ridiculously early flight. It's always a connecting flight. Even when Delta had direct flights to Orlando (leaving an hour before what DCL would book us on and arriving earlier), DCL air always used the connecting flights. Pray there was no connection problem or delay of either flight. Get to Orlando about noon or later, and if lucky, get to the terminal in time for lunch. And about 6 pm., I'm dead due to the early morning rising.

Here's what we're doing on our next cruise--direct flight on Southwest the afternoon before. No luggage fees. Staying at the Hyatt this time although we've used other area hotels that cost less. Breakfast in the morning after we check in for our transfers to the terminal. Sleep about 4 hours more than I would have been able to otherwise. And, if there is a problem with our flight, there are several other possible options that afternoon as well as the next morning--none as good as we've booked, but it would get us there. AND, when my DD's finals schedule changed, SW enabled us to change to these good flights (we had a connecting flight later in the day originally booked to depart after finals.)

I know DCL flies you in the morning of the cruise. That's not my choice if I have ANY other option including arriving at midnight. If I am in Orlando, I WILL be on that ship. If I'm sitting at my home airport, I can't say the same.

Heres how I look at it. Flying in the same day you have to wake up super early to go to the airport, stress the whole time hoping there is no delays or cancellations. Get off the plane, get on the bus, go to port, get on the ship. By the time this is all done your beat! Flying in the day before gives you peace of mind. The next morning your not rushing around to get anywhere all you have to do is get to port and you can start relaxing and enjoying the ship sooner :cool1::thumbsup2:banana:

I'd go early by one day also. Our trip this month was a red-eye from the West coast. Got in plenty early to the port (got there before the previous sailing was disembarking), but we were kinda wiped out at the beginning of the trip. Sleeping on the plane didn't work well, and it was only a few hours at best. On top of that, we had Palo reservations that night. Fortunately, we were able to change it because we would've slept through it no matter how good the food was. :)

So, flying in on the same morning: definitely doable with risks other people pointed out. Not recommended, though, depending on how far you have to fly to get there.

We've flown in the same day as the cruise and will do the same for the upcoming June one.

I agree it's stressful, our departure from Houston is 7am so you can imagine how early we'll have to get to the airport. At least Disney's transfers help make it less stressful.

Next time, I'm getting a hotel!

We flew in the the same day for our first cruise as we did not know better and all was fine. The 2nd cruise we knew we were coming in the weekend before to see family so we were fine. We thought about doing that again for our September cruise, but I am now well versed from the boards and the first time I started acting nervous, my husband just told me to change our flights for the day before.

If you can't do it, then I wouldn't worry about it, thought that is easier said than done. I think you will be fine and if I am not mistaken, booking through DCL will get you met up with the ship if there is a problem.

Flew in the morning of one time. Never again. WAY too much stress. If anything goes wrong, you will be watching the ship leave as you wave good bye from the shore. We are always going to be coming in the day before from now on.
$0.02

Thank you so much for all this info. having never cruised before, I was not sure what to do. Now, new question...Since I booked my flights through Disney(leaving the day of the cruise) , Is it possible to change these airline flights to the day before the cruise with no penalty? I did use a travel agent. She has assured me we will be fine, however, the stress of flying in the same day seems quite overwhelming. Has anyone ever used a travel agent and changed their flights with no penalty??? If this is not possible, then I guess Live and Learn??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter