Flying Fish - Octopus Challenge

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
We had an ADR (with AP 30% discount) last month.

We scoured our menus and I opted to try the Octopus even though I was heavily leaning towards the Wagyu strip loin. We also opted for the pork belly and the salmon entree.

I never had pork belly before and it was scrumptious. Definitely not meant to be anything other than an appetizer, but it was cooked to perfection.

The octopus came out and the waiter informed me that if I didn't like, we can try something else. Well, I took several bites and........I took the waiter up on his offer. It tasted rather, well, tasteless. The best description I can give is like overcooked and dry scallops. The waiter promptly took my sides and brought another plate and, in front of me, scooped my sides onto the new plate. I then opted for the Wagyu, medium rare.

Instead of my waiter coming to my table, the Manager (I believe Kimberly) brought my steak to me. She asked me to cut the steak to ensure it was cooked to my satisfaction. It looked well presented and sizeable. I told her there was nothing wrong with the octopus, it just didn't appeal to my taste palate; she completely understood and reminded her name again and assured me if there was anything else she could help me with and where she would be. This was impeccable service!

Onto my strip loin. After my first bite, I thought why would I order steak at a fish eatery? Then, my mouth told me, "does it really matter"? My mouth won. The Wagyu strip sirloin at the Flying Fish was the best steak I ever had melt in my mouth (for comparison, I have had the steak at Jiko, but it's not the top). I finished the steak and barely touched my seafood sides.

I heard that the salmon was cooked to perfection and without being drowned in sauce to masquerade the true flavors. Cooking salmon, with the piece being the thickest cut I've ever seen, is incredibly difficult, yet it was done.

So, Octopus challenge accepted and I failed, but in this case failure is an option.

I had the octopus at Tiffins and thought I would hate it. As it turned out, it was one of the best things I ate all week. I thought it would be chewy, but it had a buttery texture like a good piece of steak. It was served with a delicious aioli, which is what I think helped knock it out of the park flavor wise. I like how you referred to it as the Octopus challenge and think it good you challenged yourself to try it.

I had the octopus at Tiffins and thought I would hate it. As it turned out, it was one of the best things I ate all week. I thought it would be chewy, but it had a buttery texture like a good piece of steak. It was served with a delicious aioli, which is what I think helped knock it out of the park flavor wise. I like how you referred to it as the Octopus challenge and think it good you challenged yourself to try it.
Thanks. I really didn't oscillate much, but took a chance. I'm sure there are plenty out there that wouldn't (and I can't blame them).

Interesting about Tiffins. I wonder if it is prepared differently?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter