• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flu?

We’re flying out on Thursday and I have my antibacterial wipes, antibacterial lotion and some paper surgical masks my sister got from the doctor when she was there the other day. My biggest thing is the flight. If there’s a sick person on board we’re all breathing the same air.

Medical provider here:
The biggest way to help prevent the spread of many germs is to just wash your hands... a lot. A LOT. Flu is airborne droplet transmission, but if someone coughs into their hands, then hits the buttons on the elevator, and you follow behind to press the same button, and go to eat a roll without a good 30 second hand wash you could catch the germ. We love cruising, but we do not rely on hand wipes. We do not touch handrails, and we wash our hands immediately after touching an elevator button (if we use it! Healthier to take the steps). We wash prior to eating any meals and we wash after touching ANY door handle. And we get flu shots.
Hope that everyone stays healthy and you enjoy your cruise!

The vaccine has the wrong strain, and a great many vaccinated people, such as yourself, are getting the full-blown flu anyway, so the vaccine has not shown itself to be in any way beneficial this year.
Like I said it's a personal choice. I've never had the flu as and adult and I come in contact with it daily. My kids have never had it. I would never vaccinate anyone in my family, but that's my choice. Hopefully it remains a choice.
Living a healthy lifestyle, getting plenty of sleep, vit D etc go along way to a good immune system.
Getting the flu is not the end of world. You do develop antibodies. I had the flu every year as a kid it's probably why I've never had it as an adult.

The vaccine has the wrong strain, and a great many vaccinated people, such as yourself, are getting the full-blown flu anyway, so the vaccine has not shown itself to be in any way beneficial this year.

I don't agree with this. From what I've read, the vaccine this year is about 30% effective. That is lower than most years, but even so a 30% reduction in risk is valuable IMO. It has also been shown to shorten the time of disease for some people who do get the Flu and reduce the risk of transmission of the Flu to other people. If some new car safety feature reduced the risk of crash by 30%, people would select that option, even if 70% of the time the accidents would still happen.

BTW, to @cruiser21, I'm not at all disputing your personal choice. I'm just giving information to others so that too can make their choice. I agree very much with your notions of good sleep, and good diet to promote immune strength. For many people, a Flu shot can compliment this approach and strengthen their immune system further without actually exposing them to the illness. I'm glad your approach is working well for you and your family and I wish you continued success!

Last edited:

the vaccine is composed of multiple strains of flu....
the one i got for instance is a quadrivalent vaccine - covering 4 different types of flu......

and the people getting sick are getting sick from different strains of flu - some of them covered in the vaccine, some not...

you are very wrong that getting the vaccine is not beneficial...
the current statistics are that this year's vaccine is anywhere from 10% to 30% effective...
30% is far better than 0

and the fact that many of the youngsters dying this year were unvaccinated is food for thought..

are you a doctor?

better to say that people should check with their doctors than discourage them from getting vaccinated...

the CDC says to get vaccinated....that it is still your best defense....not perfect this year, but better than nothing...

do you know more than the CDC?

Thank you for all the responses...

We all have the flu shot. I totally disagree with saying that it has not shown itself to be in any way beneficial. It is about 30% effecting for all types of flu going around (unfortunately only 10% for one of the types). Even for those that catch the flu despite getting the shot, it has proven to be effective in limiting severity and limiting complications. Plus, I am asthmatic. The flu shot is important for me to get.

As it turns out, my little 2 had their well check ups this week. The doctor helped me out. His help, along with elderberry, vitamin C and my husband's promise to make sure they wash their hands frequently (and definitely before eating anything), is about all I can do. Like I said, I'm not germ phobic and typically I am not an alarmist...but being that I will be SO far away while they travel, I can't help but be a little uneasy at the thought of them getting sick.

Thanks again,
Jess

the vaccine is composed of multiple strains of flu....
the one i got for instance is a quadrivalent vaccine - covering 4 different types of flu......

and the people getting sick are getting sick from different strains of flu - some of them covered in the vaccine, some not...

you are very wrong that getting the vaccine is not beneficial...
the current statistics are that this year's vaccine is anywhere from 10% to 30% effective...
30% is far better than 0

and the fact that many of the youngsters dying this year were unvaccinated is food for thought..

are you a doctor?

better to say that people should check with their doctors than discourage them from getting vaccinated...

the CDC says to get vaccinated....that it is still your best defense....not perfect this year, but better than nothing...

do you know more than the CDC?

CDC is one organization, & they are not omniscient.

In Europe, they do not call for mass flu vaccinations like the do here. There are different ways of preventing illness than getting a shot.

The best way to avoid the flu is to wash your hands.

CDC is one organization, & they are not omniscient.

In Europe, they do not call for mass flu vaccinations like the do here. There are different ways of preventing illness than getting a shot.

The best way to avoid the flu is to wash your hands.
Actually, I was just looking at the ECDPC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) and they are telling people to get a flu shot.
Some people really do need to get the shots as they may have immunity conditions that cannot be controlled by sleep and eating. Please do not discourage those who wish to protect themselves to the extent they can.
As noted by many, flu is air-born and while washing your hands can help, it can't help with what's in the air you're breathing.

Now, saying all of that, I'm not really worried about it. I will or will not get the flu even with my precautions. It won't change where I go or what I do. (Unless it's obvious that there's a high incidence in the area.)

I got off the Fantasy on Saturday and there were LOTS of sick passengers. In fact, we had heard that there were six people taken to the hospital from the previous cruise. Several people from our cruise group missed it due to illness. I personally got sick for a day, as did two of my dinner table mates and our assistant server. It’s a really bad flu season, and a cruise ship is unfortunately a hotbed for transmission of these things. Agree with the advice others have given in this thread (physician here).

Actually, I was just looking at the ECDPC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) and they are telling people to get a flu shot.
Some people really do need to get the shots as they may have immunity conditions that cannot be controlled by sleep and eating. Please do not discourage those who wish to protect themselves to the extent they can.
As noted by many, flu is air-born and while washing your hands can help, it can't help with what's in the air you're breathing.

Now, saying all of that, I'm not really worried about it. I will or will not get the flu even with my precautions. It won't change where I go or what I do. (Unless it's obvious that there's a high incidence in the area.)

i am not in the USA. Our health ministry purchased millions of vaccines to get the population vaccinated and continues to tell those who haven't done so yet to get to clinics immediately for vaccination...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter