Flowers and Firsts - A May 2010 PTR, 5/13 TR started! Link on pg 39

Glad to hear you and the family are safe :hug:

Thanks Katie :hug:

So thankful that you and your family are ok, Michelle! I hope you get your power back soon!! :goodvibes

Thank you Becky. I was so excited when our power came back on last night, I was prepared to be without for awhile!

Glad everyone is ok, can't wait to hear about your trip!!

Thanks Mary. I had hoped to have my TR started by now, but Mother Nature threw a wrench into my plans!

Wigd, thanks for letting us know about Michelle!

Michelle, so glad you are okay, and I hope the damage isn't too bad! Such a scary day of storms for you all! :hug:

As long as I have lived in Oklahoma you'd think I'd be used to tornado season, but they make me so nervous - it didn't help that Don was gone either!

thinking of you guys! Glad you are all safe and hope you return to normal soon!!

Thanks Katie. What's normal anyway?????

Well, like Anita said, we are all safe, but we do have a bit of damage. Tornados are so scary and it came on us so fast! I knew that we were expecting storms that night and they had said that conditions were very favorable for tornados - guess for once the weathermen were right!

I was actually on the DIS when I heard the sirens going off. I went outside and looked around and didn't see anything that looked bad, it wasn't even raining, but I did turn on the news and start watching. They were concentrating on other areas of the city, not really focusing much on where we live, so I thought we were ok, then the sirens went off again. I went back outside and looked around, saw a cloud swirling that I just did not like the looks of. I had the boys grab a bunch of blankets and pillows and go into a small bathroom that we have in the center of the house (no exterior walls or windows) and before I could even grab the dog and the portable radio our power went out and the tornado was on the ground. I got into the bathroom with the boys, but the dog wouldn't come, she was just standing in the living room barking.

It was over very quickly, just a couple of minutes. We went outside and tried to figure out what we lost. The kids basketball goal is bent in half, the batting cage was all torn to pieces - broke off all the posts right at the ground and just thew the whole thing aside. We have some roof damage, quite a few shingles missing. About half of the wood on the underside of our covered front porch was all pulled away and gone so we had insulation coming out of the attic. We also have a few broken fence panels. Thankfully, even with all that, none of it is too serious!

I called Don in Dallas and he came home. He put up temporary paneling on the front porch to keep water and critters out of the attic, now we just have to wait for the insurance adjuster before we can make any repairs. They are supposed to be out on Saturday so we can get moving on them after that.

Our power came on sometime last night. I had come by after school (we were staying with my Mom) to pick up Justin's baseball uniform and the power was still out then, but Don called the house while we were at the ballpark last night and the answering machine picked up, so we knew the power was back - yippee! I'm impressed with how fast they got it back on, there were probably around 15 broken or uprooted electrical poles within a couple of miles of our house.

I had really hoped to have my TR going by now, it shouldn't be too much longer - thanks for your patience!

That must have been really scary Michelle. I am so glad you & your family are ok with only minimal damage. :hug:

As long as I have lived in Oklahoma you'd think I'd be used to tornado season, but they make me so nervous - it didn't help that Don was gone either!

I don't think there is any way to get used to those tornado sirens going off -- I freak every time I hear them!

What a scary time of it for you, but I am so glad Don was able to come home!

I'm impressed with how fast they got it back on, there were probably around 15 broken or uprooted electrical poles within a couple of miles of our house.
When we have bad weather, the electric company that I work for has service crews that come from OK to help as part of the municipal electric systems of OK. Go figure we are in NW Arkansas, but our border town buys electric from OK. Maybe they had some extra help. I'm glad Don came home to help you get the house back together again. So glad everyone is safe! We've had warnings, but nothing hit near our house. We watched a funnel travel over a resturant once - that was freaky - they didn't even have the customer's do anything special. We just sat and ate even though I was freaking out.

Oh my!! I'm so sorry that you had damage but so thankful that you are all ok! I have never gotten used to tornadoes either--we get them all the time, too and it terrifies me!! :scared1: So glad to hear that your pwer is back on!! :goodvibes

Wow! Oh my goodness, Michelle! It sounded like you guys had about 10 seconds warning from when you saw the cloud to when it touched ground! Very scary! :scared1: I'm glad you all are ok! Isn't it interesting that your dog stayed in the living room barking? I'm sure you were worried while he/she stayed out there.

I'm so glad you guys are ok! That must have been scary. Gotta love the Midwest, huh? :lmao: We've been having warnings, but none have come too close yet. And I hope they don't!

Glad you guys are safe and sound. We just had the floods and storms here, you know, so I have a pretty good idea of what your town might look like right now. Makes us very grateful for all the normal days we have. :)

Wow... Thank God you are all okay! :worship:

I truly do not think I could live in tornado country... I would be a wreck every spring...

Kathy

OH my goodness!!! What a scary story! I do not know how you kept your cool with your children there :scared: I am so happy you are ok and your DH was able to come home to help.

We only have to worry about hurricanes here. I always thought that was really bad, but at least we have a few days warning! I still can not wait for your TR, but take your time and good luck with the insurance! :hug:

WOW!! I'm glad that you are all safe!! I grew up in Kansas so tornados are nothing new but I still get scared just the thought of them!!!

I can't wait for you to start your TR !!

Glad that you are all ok!!! Just the thought of a tornado really scares me!!! I've been watching the Weather Channel & they've had the Tornado Stories on all week. I was scared the other night because we had a Tornado Warning...I'm not sure what I'd do if I ever heard the actual sirens...that is very scary!!! I'm glad your husband was able to come home to help you with the damage.

I can't wait to hear more about your Disney trip, but I'm sure we can all be patient while you are taking care of things at home! :goodvibes

Keeping an eye out for your TR to start. Really glad you guys are safe. You were the first person I thought of when I heard about the OK tornadoes. Probably because I don't associate with many Sooners. :lmao:

Seriously though. So thankful that you guys are ok and that your house seems to be minimally damaged. Scary. The stories pouring out of all these tornado damaged areas are so heart breaking. We've had a few tornadoes down here in Central Texas but nothing like the norm for OK and KS. Hoping it stays that way! This year's weather has just been nutso EVERYWHERE!

See ya on the TR board! :goodvibes

Unbelievably happy that you guys are safe and sound! What an adventure! I don't know that I could stay as calm as you did.

Wow michelle, glad it was just a baby that got you!!! We once had a BIG tree come down on our house in a storm and although the damage was isolated, it's such a pain to deal with insurance and contractors and have to wait to get your house back in shape!

So glad to hear you are all safe :hug:

That must have been really scary Michelle. I am so glad you & your family are ok with only minimal damage. :hug:

Thanks Melanie. Really it happened so fast and I wasn't even sure if it was a tornado or just strong winds until I went outside and saw my neighbors barn spread all across the back side of our property :laughing: I didn't have time to get really scared.

I don't think there is any way to get used to those tornado sirens going off -- I freak every time I hear them!

What a scary time of it for you, but I am so glad Don was able to come home!

I honestly used to ignore the sirens, stupid I know, but I was just so used to them going off and then not having anything happen, that I would just flip on the news and sort of half watch just in case. But about 10 years or so ago we had MASSIVE tornados that wiped out entire neighborhoods go through here. One of the largest hit just about 10 miles north of where we live, I started paying much closer attention to it after that!

When we have bad weather, the electric company that I work for has service crews that come from OK to help as part of the municipal electric systems of OK. Go figure we are in NW Arkansas, but our border town buys electric from OK. Maybe they had some extra help. I'm glad Don came home to help you get the house back together again. So glad everyone is safe! We've had warnings, but nothing hit near our house. We watched a funnel travel over a resturant once - that was freaky - they didn't even have the customer's do anything special. We just sat and ate even though I was freaking out.

Well, I have been very impressed with the electric crews around here in times of emergency - those guys know what they are doing and work hard to get power restored!

Oh my gosh! I can't imagine just sitting there eating like nothing is happening, that had to be crazy!

Oh my!! I'm so sorry that you had damage but so thankful that you are all ok! I have never gotten used to tornadoes either--we get them all the time, too and it terrifies me!! :scared1: So glad to hear that your pwer is back on!! :goodvibes

I was ready to do a happy dance when Don told me the power was back on!

The main thing is everyone is okay...everything else is minor compared to that. :hug:

Exactly!

Wow! Oh my goodness, Michelle! It sounded like you guys had about 10 seconds warning from when you saw the cloud to when it touched ground! Very scary! :scared1: I'm glad you all are ok! Isn't it interesting that your dog stayed in the living room barking? I'm sure you were worried while he/she stayed out there.

We had a bit more time than that - if I were smart I would have been more prepared when the sirens went off the first time, rather than waiting until I saw something outside that I didn't like the looks of - lesson learned!

My silly dog, I think she was just freaked out herself. She came at first and then bolted when I tried to close the door - I kept opening the bathroom door and calling for her and she was just standing out there barking. When it sounded like the winds had calmed down I went out and got her, she came with me that time - of course, it was all over with then.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter