Florida Wildlife at WDW

As far as I know, none of us were there to see exactly what happened. I don't know if signs were ignored (or how prevalent they are, if they're easily visible after dark,...), if the child ran/wandered off, etc. It's unfair to place blame for this particular situation; it's not something like a more clear cut case of an adult blatantly ignoring signage, climbing over a barrier, and getting hurt or killed.

I do hope that everyone learns to be vigilant, and to make themselves aware of dangers wherever they are.

I assumed that it was common knowledge that there are alligators all over Florida, including at WDW. But based on the number of people posting otherwise, apparently there are plenty of people who were unaware.

Adventures By Disney sells a "Disney World and Central Florida" trip where the itinerary for one of the days reads (in part) like this:

KAYAK DOWN SHINGLE CREEK
Travel outside Walt Disney World Resort to Shingle Creek. Venture into the quiet world of a cypress swamp. Here you’re surrounded by the serenity and beauty of a cypress swamp as you paddle past waterfowl, turtles and alligators as you experience the real outdoors of Central Florida.

AIRBOAT ON LAKE TOHOPEKALIGA
Propel through the unspoiled wetlands of the largest lake in Osceola County, Florida. View wildlife in their natural habitat, including a wide variety of birds.

FLORIDA COWBOY BBQ COOKOUT
Arrive at Forever Florida Zipline & Horseback Adventures just in time for a terrific barbeque lunch that will get you ready for the exciting activities to come.

FOREVER FLORIDA EXPERIENCE
Select one or more of the thrilling activities awaiting you at Forever Florida. Make discoveries about your destination in the Swamp Buggy Nature Tour, zip line above the treetops or go horseback riding. Experience 9 ecosystems as you cross streams, forest, wetlands and pastures—and perhaps catch a glimpse of alligators and other wildlife.

I suppose this could be taken one of two ways. One, is that WDW is not the "real outdoors" and that you will see all of this wildlife once you leave the confines of WDW property, or, two, that WDW is in Central Florida, and even on property will you find all this wildlife.

I would have been more concerned with the possibility of a small child falling and getting water up their nose. The brain eating amoeba is more prevalent near the shore where the water is warmer and when the water is churned up by walking, swimming or falling. And the amoeba isn't just a Florida thing, so there isn't an excuse for not being careful. Please remember to pack a little extra common sense in that suitcase! There are no words to describe how horrible the situation is for the family. My heart goes out to them.

Wait, there are brain eating amoeba in Florida? Wow, there definitely needs to be warnings about that! Lakes near me (north) sometimes close because of e coli, but that will make you sick, not do permanent damage! And here, whenever the bacteria counts are high, there are very clearly posted signs telling you why you can't go in the water.

Wildlife don't care if favorable habitat was made by man, God, or anyone else. They go where they go, as they are in the wild. Disney can only do so much to keep wildlife out, which is why there is always going to be dangers from gators, snakes, spiders, and anything else. Are you sure that you knew Walt bought thousand of acres of swampland to build WDW? Do you think all the wildlife which called this area home just magically stopped calling it home? People surprise me with how little they know about our world.

Yep, I am that stupid.

This individual started not one, but two threads that strongly implied the parents were at fault in this tragedy. I can't fathom why someone feels that much of a need to continue to kick people whose lives have just been devastated beyond anything we can imagine.

I'm not sure what the goal of the OP is, but from my perspective, it is extremely misguided.

Compassion, empathy, and introspective thinking are what needs to be coming out from those not directly involved. Attempting to assess, or strongly imply, blame is unnecessary.

I'm going with a need for attention or a strong desire to get a reaction. Both of which have happened.

I think its awful that people want to judge these parents or make other people feel bad for not thinking about alligators while being on a beach at a resort. Yes most people know there is wildlife around and alligators in FL but I can't say that if we were there doing that same exact thing that I'd think twice about a big *** alligator lunging onto the beach and stealing my child. Even if we were just with our feet in the water. Some things don't cross your mind. This family has to live with this for the rest of their life and I cannot imagine how that feels and the sadness they much endure. I really wish people would be more compassionate and stop pointing fingers everything time something tragic happens by accident.

Wait, there are brain eating amoeba in Florida? Wow, there definitely needs to be warnings about that! Lakes near me (north) sometimes close because of e coli, but that will make you sick, not do permanent damage! And here, whenever the bacteria counts are high, there are very clearly posted signs telling you why you can't go in the water.
It can be in every body of water in the south. It isn't just Orlando, or FL. The entirety of the south where water temps are high can have the bacteria. Signs do not help, signs are put up for the sake of the lawyers. People will continue to ignore them and tragedies unfortunately will continue to happen.

Althought the original post seems to point the finger, I think a thread about Florida wildlife is interesting.

Someone who's scared of lizards wouldn't last long in Florida.

I also saw Armadillos... (I read they can carry leprosy?)

Last edited:
Not only are there alligators on Disney property, there are lots of other possibly dangerous animals like snakes, spiders, bears, bobcats and even reports of panthers.
And the excuse of " I didn't know because I'm not from here", is a crazy statement. That's like going to Africa and saying "I didn't realize they have lions and other dangerous animals because I'm not from here!"

I disagree. Disney should have proper signage up telling people about the wildlife including the alligators.

I feel that Disney downplay this. It is like they dont want to spoil the Disney bubble.

Alot of people dont know that WDW is built on swampland.
I wouldnt have known. It only that I come on here and find out things.

Stop being so self righteous.

I disagree. Disney should have proper signage up telling people about the wildlife including the alligators.

I feel that Disney downplay this. It is like they dont want to spoil the Disney bubble.

Alot of people dont know that WDW is built on swampland.
I wouldnt have known. It only that I come on here and find out things.

Stop being so self righteous.

I could I could be mistaken but I think I read on those signs that there could be alligators in the lagoons... :confused: (or maybe I just knew and though 1+1=2 ???)

Really? Today is the day to start blaming parents? Maybe we should get right up in their faces and tell them how messed up they are? Maybe we should let them know that because of their negligence we're now going to have to put up with greater restrictions or more fences or restricted views? Or maybe we could just imagine ourselves in their place and be quiet and grieve? I see more than my share of tragedy in my line of work, and there are no words of comfort for those people right now. Certainly pointing out that "they should have known" isn't helpful now, and probably not ever. A little empathy goes a long, long way.

Not only are there alligators on Disney property, there are lots of other possibly dangerous animals like snakes, spiders, bears, bobcats and even reports of panthers.
And the excuse of " I didn't know because I'm not from here", is a crazy statement. That's like going to Africa and saying "I didn't realize they have lions and other dangerous animals because I'm not from here!"

Wow seriously person? Seriously? This topic has been beat to death already. I for one, like the many many others who have already stated on the other 2 threads, did not know there were gators in WDW- Florida swamps yes, but all over WDW- no I did not know that...and yes I'm not from anywhere near Florida...and for the record I do know there are lions and such in Africa. I am a reasonably intelligent person who has 2 degrees and has traveled.

Last edited:
I am another example of an educated, professional, well travelled adult from the West and North East that had no idea that this was a danger. I knew there were alligators, but did not know to stay away from the water (other than not to swim in it.) regionally different. I don't study what to be on the lookout for before I travel. I think there are lots of others that would be in the same situation. Prayers for the family.

I am another example of an educated, professional, well travelled adult from the West and North East that had no idea that this was a danger. I knew there were alligators, but did not know to stay away from the water (other than not to swim in it.) regionally different. I don't study what to be on the lookout for before I travel. I think there are lots of others that would be in the same situation. Prayers for the family.
Count me in this category!

What about all of the water crafts one can rent? Am I mistaken? The last time we stayed at the Contemporary we were going to rent the jet skis. Is that a different body of water? I thought you can also go tubing, etc.

Of course I've heard of alligators in Florida. I would think that if it's that prevalent at the resort they should of warn people. And brain eating amoeba! Woah! The beaches shut down here for a day because of contamination and it's all over the news. Disney needs to step it up if they knew these things were a problem.

That poor baby!! The senseless parenting bashing is awful on this board. Show some compassion.

Count me in this category!

What about all of the water crafts one can rent? Am I mistaken? The last time we stayed at the Contemporary we were going to rent the jet skis. Is that a different body of water? I thought you can also go tubing, etc.

Of course I've heard of alligators in Florida. I would think that if it's that prevalent at the resort they should of warn people. And brain eating amoeba! Woah! The beaches shut down here for a day because of contamination and it's all over the news. Disney needs to step it up if they knew these things were a problem.

That poor baby!! The senseless parenting bashing is awful on this board. Show some compassion.

This isn't a Disney problem. My goodness, stop blaming Disney. The bacteria AND alligators are in pretty much every body of water on FL. The bacteria likes warm non moving water. You most likely won't find it in spring feed lakes because of currents, but anything standing has the risk. This isn't a Disney issue, this isn't an Orlando issue, heck this isn't even a unique to FL issue. Welcome to the south. There is a reason people will tell you to not go in the water here unless you know what is in it.

Yes the body of waters at DW are manmade. But nowhere in any brochure or advertisement does Disney say "happiest place on Earth...there is no wildlife to watch out for what-so-ever"

This isn't a Disney problem. My goodness, stop blaming Disney. The bacteria AND alligators are in pretty much every body of water on FL. The bacteria likes warm non moving water. You most likely won't find it in spring feed lakes because of currents, but anything standing has the risk. This isn't a Disney issue, this isn't an Orlando issue, heck this isn't even a unique to FL issue. Welcome to the south. There is a reason people will tell you to not go in the water here unless you know what is in it.

This IS a Disney problem and they will pay a heavy price for not doing a sufficiant job of warning people that alligators are in the area. Reports are coming out of recent sitings and confrontations at the Poly in April. Pictures of large gators sunning on the shoreline as well with the Contemporary in the background. Disney has reason to keep such things hush hush. It affects the bottom line when you get bad publicity. It's what risk management is all about. Disney took the risk that No Swimming signs were sufficient. They lost. I have never seen a CM instruct people at waters edge to back away. Anothe soft enforcement issue.
I personally knew there a gators there. Haven't seen any but I have taken enough fishing trips and talked to guides that know where they are. Disney tries to avoid disturbing nature. I commend them for that. But this time it didn't work out. Sad results.

This IS a Disney problem and they will pay a heavy price for not doing a sufficiant job of warning people that alligators are in the area. Reports are coming out of recent sitings and confrontations at the Poly in April. Pictures of large gators sunning on the shoreline as well with the Contemporary in the background. Disney has reason to keep such things hush hush. It affects the bottom line when you get bad publicity. It's what risk management is all about. Disney took the risk that No Swimming signs were sufficient. They lost. I have never seen a CM instruct people at waters edge to back away. Anothe soft enforcement issue.
I personally knew there a gators there. Haven't seen any but I have taken enough fishing trips and talked to guides that know where they are. Disney tries to avoid disturbing nature. I commend them for that. But this time it didn't work out. Sad results.
What I am trying to say is this isn't a unique problem to Disney. There is a process to remove nuisance alligators. Disney can't legally remove them. There are steps in place that have to be taken. I live in Orlando on the east side where we truly have alligator areas (the airboat tours are just down the road), we have alligators in our neighborhood all the time. We can't do a thing about them until they fit the criteria for FWC to do something about them.

What needs to happen from this isn't finger pointing or placing blame. It is very apparent that education needs to happen and hopefully that is the one thing that comes out of this. Apparently this is education that needs to be for those visit ALL of the south, because this truly could have happened from Texas to South Carolina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter