Florida RV SuperShow - lots of great RVs for the Fort!!

hstrickland

Way Down South...
Last weekend the family ventured to Tampa for the RV show. I'm sure many of y'all have been, so you're aware of the wide variety to choose from. We spent 2 days trying to immerse ourselves into the world of RVing. Learned quite a bit and actually narrowed it down.... Jesse, our youngest son, would like us to purchase this one.:scratchin He obviously has no concept of money.

image_zps8ptgcuwk.jpeg

After discussing the value of a dollar, he chose this.

While I appreciate his willingness to help us save some money, it's obviously not conducive for a family of 5 ;)

This one is made by Vanleigh RV. Their father owns Tiffin Motorhomes. They just recently started making 5th wheels. Very nice inside but the setup won't work for 3 kids.

Anyone have any knowledge of these??

We also looked at the Jaycos and a Grand Design. The price difference between these and the High Country was quite a bit. Anyone know why?? "You get what you pay for." Should I worry about this quote?

My favorite ...thus far in our search - The High Country

The set up I really like that is new for 2016 is the 362RD. Unfortunately they didn't have one to view. Since we're in no hurry to buy, if the Camping World salesman can't give us a deal similar to the one at the show, then we'll wait until September. The hubby and I are already planning a trip to Hershey, PA :) Anyone been to this one??

Already looking forward to next Thanksgiviing at the Fort in our new camper!!

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a Montana, as far as I'm concerned :)

Definitely wait till you can see your choice in person. I did that with our first fifth wheel & I'm glad I did. It had a wonderful floor plan... On paper. In reality I didn't like it as much. We ended up getting a different floor plan and happily camped in it for 10 years.

Well we have never made the Tampa RV show. We have however made the Hershey RV show as it is about 2 hours away from us. There are a ton of RV's to look at and there are always deals to be had. Especially since it is during that year end time for camping up here. We should be attending again this year at least one day.

Heshey is awesome. 15+ acres of wall to wall campers. mmouse 1239 is right, there's no way to see it all in a day. Plus you have to go by Chocolate World to get in and out. Doesn't get any better.

Still haven't made it to Hershey Yet which is sad, because I am also only about 2 hours away. :(

Maybe this year? :)

We went and you definitely need two days to see it all. We were looking specifically for toy haulers and they have come a long way. Found some I actually like. Most that we looked at before looked too much like a garage.

You can't go wrong with a Montana, as far as I'm concerned :)

Definitely wait till you can see your choice in person. I did that with our first fifth wheel & I'm glad I did. It had a wonderful floor plan... On paper. In reality I didn't like it as much. We ended up getting a different floor plan and happily camped in it for 10 years.

:thumbsup2 Good advice. I keep hoping our local Camping World dealer will get that model in so we can take a look. We've written down what is needed most in the camper, so at least we know what we're looking for. Definitely has to have a bunkhouse of some sort. We like the Sandpiper, also...the 371REBH.

Well we have never made the Tampa RV show. We have however made the Hershey RV show as it is about 2 hours away from us. There are a ton of RV's to look at and there are always deals to be had. Especially since it is during that year end time for camping up here. We should be attending again this year at least one day.

My sister and her husband who live in CT are going to meet us there, too. They tent camp, and could possibly be looking for a small camper. We're in high hopes that we can snag one of those end-of-the-year deals for sure!! Look for us! We'll be the very inexperienced camper lurking around looking lost :D

We attend the RV in Hershey each year. It's pretty awesome. There's no way to see everything in one day. It's huge.

Definitely doing 2 days...maybe 3. Already booked a hotel in Harrisburg!

Heshey is awesome. 15+ acres of wall to wall campers. mmouse 1239 is right, there's no way to see it all in a day. Plus you have to go by Chocolate World to get in and out. Doesn't get any better.

Of course!! What's a visit to Hershey PA without a bit of chocolate?! :woohoo: Just an extra bonus, right?!

Still haven't made it to Hershey Yet which is sad, because I am also only about 2 hours away. :(

Maybe this year? :)

:scared: Yikes!!! Hurry! Make plans to go!:p I'm jealous that some of y'all are so close.

We went and you definitely need two days to see it all. We were looking specifically for toy haulers and they have come a long way. Found some I actually like. Most that we looked at before looked too much like a garage.

We actually looked at several of those, too.....not looking seriously....more of a curiosity thing. We have a golf cart and tossed the idea around about getting a toy hauler, but think we talked ourselves out of it. Some of the ones that we saw have a great patio type deal on the back! And you're right, some do look a bit like a garage. Some of the triple axels are SUPER nice, but too big for us to pull.

I was at the show in tampa a lot of RV we bought a Thor Palazzo 33.2 and are gong on a short trip with weekend

NICE!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 And congrats!!!!! So, you drove it from the show?? Well...while I'm sitting here at home on the Dis, you're enjoying your new RV :woohoo: Hope y'all have a fabulous weekend!!

We went too,what a great show! Need to plan for 2 days though next year

Yep....2 days is almost a must. On the first day, we basically just walked around, let the kids play in that kids' area that was in the corner. On the second day, we actually talked to several people and asked 1000 questions and went in the hall with all the booths. Bought some cleaner and glue :laughing: No camper...but purchased some household items.

There's a big RV show in Orlando this weekend next to the Citrus Bowl... Bama Ed

There's a big RV show in Orlando this weekend next to the Citrus Bowl... Bama Ed

WHAT?!! Hmmmm...:scratchin And that's about an hour closer for us than Tampa. Wish my weekend could handle it.

By the way, what type of camper do you have? Isn't it a pop-up of some sort? The reason I'm inquiring is for my sister and her husband. They love to camp and go quite frequently...in a tent. They're meeting us in Hershey for the show, and they said they will be looking at very small travel trailers and pop-ups. I knew you would be the one to ask ::yes::
Thanks!
Heather

Heather,

Hey, whoa! There's a reason they call Tampa the RV SUPERSHOW in Florida. Here is the schedule of shows from the Florida RV Trade Association: http://events.frvta.org/ If you look at the past attendance numbers, you'll see why Tampa is THE show.

My bet is that nearly all serious RV vendors show up at Tampa and then also at the regional show nearest them.

I'll pull up a few pix of my old Jayco popup (with the canvas bunk ends) that I had for over a decade but now that I'm am almost an empty nester I bought an Aliner (A-frame hard sided folding trailer). Of course your sis and DH should know what their tow limits are on whatever vehicle they plan to use. We loved the Jayco for the family years (us and 3 kiddos) but the Aliner fits us now for the two of us. Of course, I am available for questions.

I'll get pix of both up soon in this thread. I have a Suburban to tow with and I like the benefits of a small trailer.

Bama Ed

Jayco now has a hard wall camping trailer. We seen it at The Fort. Very cool.

Heather,

Hey, whoa! There's a reason they call Tampa the RV SUPERSHOW in Florida. Here is the schedule of shows from the Florida RV Trade Association: http://events.frvta.org/ If you look at the past attendance numbers, you'll see why Tampa is THE show.

My bet is that nearly all serious RV vendors show up at Tampa and then also at the regional show nearest them.

I'll pull up a few pix of my old Jayco popup (with the canvas bunk ends) that I had for over a decade but now that I'm am almost an empty nester I bought an Aliner (A-frame hard sided folding trailer). Of course your sis and DH should know what their tow limits are on whatever vehicle they plan to use. We loved the Jayco for the family years (us and 3 kiddos) but the Aliner fits us now for the two of us. Of course, I am available for questions.

I'll get pix of both up soon in this thread. I have a Suburban to tow with and I like the benefits of a small trailer.

Bama Ed

Ok wow! Now I see the difference in size of shows :scared1: 62,000 in attendance at Tampa?! Thanks for the link. Wish we could make the Jacksonville show since it's so close, but we'll be out of town that weekend. Any idea how many attend at Hershey?? Not that it's important...just curious. I was completely shocked at how many people were camping at the show, and I mean the huge RVs. HUGE!!

Definitely post those pics, please :teeth: My sister has 2 kids, so a family of 4. Her kids love to tent camp and cook outside, but they're thinking that a pop up may make sleeping a bit more comfortable and protect them better from the elements. I think they have a Honda Odyssey, so not sure what that could tow.

Jayco now has a hard wall camping trailer. We seen it at The Fort. Very cool.

Ya know I'm a newbie to all this camping stuff, so I have to ask....what do you mean by 'hard wall camping trailer'??

Yes ^^ They are easier to set up and break down. Also don't have to worry about wet canvas. A little more secure. I like the built in/on storage trailer also.

Ok wow! Now I see the difference in size of shows :scared1: 62,000 in attendance at Tampa?! Thanks for the link. Wish we could make the Jacksonville show since it's so close, but we'll be out of town that weekend. Any idea how many attend at Hershey?? Not that it's important...just curious. I was completely shocked at how many people were camping at the show, and I mean the huge RVs. HUGE!!

Definitely post those pics, please :teeth: My sister has 2 kids, so a family of 4. Her kids love to tent camp and cook outside, but they're thinking that a pop up may make sleeping a bit more comfortable and protect them better from the elements. I think they have a Honda Odyssey, so not sure what that could tow.

Ya know I'm a newbie to all this camping stuff, so I have to ask....what do you mean by 'hard wall camping trailer'??

Hershey had about 44,000 in attendance last year. It is a big show both inside and out.

For a family unit of 4, an A-frame camper would be too small. Jayco has started making them the last few years and the various units of Forest River has been also. But both only make a 12 ft box and at most they sleep 3. Here are some pix of mine (a 14 ft box) which has a sofa bed in the rear and a dinette which folds down to sleep a third. As I said above, it's good for me and DW entering our empty nester phase of life. A-frames are also referred to as "folding trailers" to lump them in with regular pop-ups.

I had a popup for 10 years (bought it new) that was great for our family of 5 but was work to set up and take down and now that all my helpers have grown up and flown the coop (one left) and it's ME doing all the work, we changed. It was a Jayco with a slide out dinette for extra room and king/queen slide out bunks. Weighed between 3,000-3,500# which would be too heavy for your sister's Odyssey.

I would suggest (after verifying their tow limits on the Odyssey), they look at popups with a 10 ft box and no slide outs. I would recommend Jayco but there are other units out there. Used units are all beyond warranty and then it's a question of what condition it's in. Popups are good for sleeping up off the ground (we started that way too) with some amenities but it is still "camping". One down side to me was popups are 3 season campers where with my Aliner I can camp year round quite easily. A popup can go through the winter/real cold (4th season) but again it takes extra work.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter