Florida is hurting our wdw workers and lots of other people

DD's roommate was furloughed mid March. He still hasn't received an unemployment payment. DD was in the furlough group at WDW as of the April 19th. She filed this week. I have a feeling we may be helping with her rent for May if unemployment doesn't come through.

I suspect the money’s not there to be paid out.

Every employer pays into unemployment, which is put into the individual state’s UI fund held at a central federal location. This is not money that can be touched by the federal government.
UI is not a federal thing like the $600 stimulus booster for UI. It’s not that the money is not there. It’s rather that the state is inept at coordinating the benefits.

There have been millions of new unemployment applications filed. The staffing and computers in the state unemployment offices were never designed to process that many applications in a short period of time.

I don't see a solution other then time. The states could not afford to pay to staff the office for years in anticipation of this scenario. Lots and lots of people would be sitting around doing nothing.

Last edited:
Most states have had great difficulty in processing unemployment claims because of the volume overwhelming their online systems. Most weeks, there are a couple hundred thousand people filing for unemployment nationally

But in the last 4 weeks, more than 26 MILLION people have filed -- and that's just those who have filed successfully. That's roughly 12 times the normal volume, so it's understandable that there would be more than the usual difficulties.

Specific to Florida, the state has greatly increased the number of servers handling unemployment claims, but there are still some problems.

FL unemployment website and process has been broken for years and no one has bothered to fix it. So, now that the use has multiplied it's really really broken. People can't login, can't access anyone by phone, and the physical office is closed. The few who have been paid are the lucky ones who were able to file early on or actually get through the phone line.

This is not just a matter of increased applications - it has been a broken system for years. More info here: https://www.tampabay.com/news/busin...fits-system-crumble-now-we-all-pay-the-price/

It's infuriating and I know SO MANY affected just in my short time living in FL (BEFORE the current events).

Most states have had great difficulty in processing unemployment claims because of the volume overwhelming their online systems. Most weeks, there are a couple hundred thousand people filing for unemployment nationally

But in the last 4 weeks, more than 26 MILLION people have filed -- and that's just those who have filed successfully. That's roughly 12 times the normal volume, so it's understandable that there would be more than the usual difficulties.

Specific to Florida, the state has greatly increased the number of servers handling unemployment claims, but there are still some problems.
I read a report yesterday that said that FL had processed less than 50,000 claims in the 4 weeks since mid-March. Now, I don't care how bad your system is, you have to want to not process claims to move that slowly.

Last edited:
Tell that to the people saying those that are out of work will be fine and living large because they’re raking it in with their base unemployment plus the extra $600.

Sad and sickening anyone would say that.
The ones saying that live in their Ivory Tower and have no idea what it is to do without.
I would like to see them have to for a while.

Florida has paid less than 9 percent of applicants of unemployment since March 15.
Totally uncalled for.View attachment 490202
The only thing new about this is the scale and the exposure. States routinely have but road block after road block after road block to discourage people from applying for benefits. Florida has always been a guilty party. And from what I've gathered, not enough people in Florida care enough to make sure something is done about it.

Tell that to the people saying those that are out of work will be fine and living large because they’re raking it in with their base unemployment plus the extra $600.
If someone gets their panties in a bunch over some poor sap making 30 grand or less ending up with an extra $500 over the life of the program because of it, would me telling them anything do any good? Well ok. Admittedly it might do you or me good to chew em out. But would it really do any good beyond that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter