Flooding at BWV?

Thanks for that great response. Did that perk make up for it? I think apologies in the form of acts, upgrades, and passes would pass. I am planning park reservation dates, grocery delivery and transportation options around it!

Although BWV does appear to be full this week, rooms have not been fully booked at DVC resorts across the board lately. People seem to be cancelling last minute. Although that trend seems to be slowing.

While still a disappointment, I'm sure most would take a 3 bedroom grand villa at BLT, CCV or AKV as an upgrade from a smaller room for their trouble. lol

If this is going to take rooms out of service for awhile, it does appear as though they have availability in other rooms starting next week. I'm guessing you'll see them pulled any minute to relocate people who's reservations will be affected. Obviously, they won't get BW view.

We got a flooded room at CBR once. Had to move at midnight with little kids the night before Thanksgiving. Couldn't get a room upgrade, but they had a CM pick us up in the morning in a private van and take us to the gates of HS and handed us anytime / anyride fastpasses.

These pics are from this morning - 2nd floor. The first floor was also flooded. As was the art gallery. We were supposed to be in a studio, but we’re upgraded to a 1 bedroom. Figuring the flood was the reason.

Attachments

• EA86D8B8-F0F6-4512-91DF-9A46ACCC87BD.jpeg
    EA86D8B8-F0F6-4512-91DF-9A46ACCC87BD.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 0646CBA8-F3FE-4E4F-A845-2F263285B96C.jpeg
    0646CBA8-F3FE-4E4F-A845-2F263285B96C.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 212
  • 9E570DCA-B866-4D38-A1EF-C2EF048A0E16.jpeg
    9E570DCA-B866-4D38-A1EF-C2EF048A0E16.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 207
Thanks for that great response. Did that perk make up for it? I think apologies in the form of acts, upgrades, and passes would pass. I am planning park reservation dates, grocery delivery and transportation options around it!

I understand that maintenance issues happen and even if I really wanted to be in the resort and room I was booked in, I think an upgrade or a reasonable substitute with some other compensation is quite acceptable.

I think for us, it's about what did you lose and what can you do about it? Thanksgiving trip mentioned above, the kids were now going to want to sleep in the next day and really screw up our Thanksgiving day plans of getting to the parks early and trying to beat crowds on a holiday. As parents, we were gonna be tired and short on patience too. So, the direct transportation at our time choice and the fastpasses let us sleep a bit longer and still pull off a successful day in the park.

Personally, at BWV, I am staying there for the location. So, I'd probably be more willing to even take a room downgrade and some other compensation just to stay put. But if all they had was a bigger / better room somewhere else, I'd probably be ok with it if they gave me some choice in the matter. I might even be ok with a same size / type room at a more expensive resort that we'd not stayed in after getting over a little disappointment.

Honestly, in your case (I read your post about waitlist just coming through) SSR is still going to be available, so if you don't like any other alternative they offer (if you happen to be affected), I'm sure they'd easily move you there if you wanted to. And if your plans / reservations are adversely affected, I'd ask for help with new ones. I think if you're logical, they are willing to help. If you're just pissed at something that's beyond their control and are demanding a bungalow at Poly..... you're gonna be talking to a brick wall. But if you're super strict on your plans and think the hassle of switching things up last minute will be hard, just switch your reservation back to SSR now. Personally, I'd take my chances at BWV and roll with it if I got sent back to SSR.

These pics are from this morning - 2nd floor. The first floor was also flooded. As was the art gallery. We were supposed to be in a studio, but we’re upgraded to a 1 bedroom. Figuring the flood was the reason.

Wow. What a shame!

Congrats on the room upgrade!

IDK but I think it's kind of inexcusable to have these kind of major leaks/problems at a deluxe resort, or any resort for that matter. Apparently the problems were well known for a while now. Come on disney, routine maintenance and upkeep IS important. What a shame. I hope no one got hurt when this happened.

I'm with you and will just roll with it, as maybe SRS is my consolation prize- hopefully Congress Park tho.
I also prefer a choice/say in it with a different 'better' location, no matter the room category. Maybe we will hear more as time goes on but those pics look pretty hairy!

I understand that maintenance issues happen and even if I really wanted to be in the resort and room I was booked in, I think an upgrade or a reasonable substitute with some other compensation is quite acceptable.

I think for us, it's about what did you lose and what can you do about it? Thanksgiving trip mentioned above, the kids were now going to want to sleep in the next day and really screw up our Thanksgiving day plans of getting to the parks early and trying to beat crowds on a holiday. As parents, we were gonna be tired and short on patience too. So, the direct transportation at our time choice and the fastpasses let us sleep a bit longer and still pull off a successful day in the park.

Personally, at BWV, I am staying there for the location. So, I'd probably be more willing to even take a room downgrade and some other compensation just to stay put. But if all they had was a bigger / better room somewhere else, I'd probably be ok with it if they gave me some choice in the matter. I might even be ok with a same size / type room at a more expensive resort that we'd not stayed in after getting over a little disappointment.

Honestly, in your case (I read your post about waitlist just coming through) SSR is still going to be available, so if you don't like any other alternative they offer (if you happen to be affected), I'm sure they'd easily move you there if you wanted to. And if your plans / reservations are adversely affected, I'd ask for help with new ones. I think if you're logical, they are willing to help. If you're just pissed at something that's beyond their control and are demanding a bungalow at Poly..... you're gonna be talking to a brick wall. But if you're super strict on your plans and think the hassle of switching things up last minute will be hard, just switch your reservation back to SSR now. Personally, I'd take my chances at BWV and roll with it if I got sent back to SSR.

I decided after I was probably wrong. I think the 4th floor is more open in the middle, like an atrium type thing, but maybe the ceiling hanging all over the place threw me off

We were there Friday night in room 2044. At 4AM the fire alarm went off. Didn't know what was happening but as soon as I stepped out of bed it was clear. Water throughout our room. Opened door and the ceiling in hallway outside of our room collapsed from water leak and was on the floor. There were people around dealing with it, trying to clean up. Then fire department came.

Someone who might have been a manager said to us "we left a voicemail on your room phone." Whaaat? They should have banged on our door. Would have been bad if the ceiling in our room came down while we were sleeping.

Anyway, they sent us to the lobby where we were assigned a room on the 5th floor. Got back to bed about 5am. We were tired the following day.

I was talking to a woman in the lobby who was on the first floor, and their room was flooded around 1am. Having known that I am unsure why it wasn't addressed quickly. Instead 3 hours later another floor flooded.

It was unpleasant . Anything that was on the floor was soaked, including shoes, suitcases and contents and our pajamas from walking around the wet floors.

I'm not looking for any compensation. But a note under our door from management with an apology for lost sleep, wet belongings and general inconvenience would have been really nice.

We were there Friday night in room 2044. At 4AM the fire alarm went off. Didn't know what was happening but as soon as I stepped out of bed it was clear. Water throughout our room. Opened door and the ceiling in hallway outside of our room collapsed from water leak and was on the floor. There were people around dealing with it, trying to clean up. Then fire department came.

Someone who might have been a manager said to us "we left a voicemail on your room phone." Whaaat? They should have banged on our door. Would have been bad if the ceiling in our room came down while we were sleeping.

Anyway, they sent us to the lobby where we were assigned a room on the 5th floor. Got back to bed about 5am. We were tired the following day.

I was talking to a woman in the lobby who was on the first floor, and their room was flooded around 1am. Having known that I am unsure why it wasn't addressed quickly. Instead 3 hours later another floor flooded.

It was unpleasant . Anything that was on the floor was soaked, including shoes, suitcases and contents and our pajamas from walking around the wet floors.

I'm not looking for any compensation. But a note under our door from management with an apology for lost sleep, wet belongings and general inconvenience would have been really nice.
You should get compensation for at least the one night. We got money back and a room upgrade in 2018 when we had water in our room and some items were ruined. Your situation is actually much worse.

Just walked down the hallway on the 2nd floor where the flooding occurred. 14 villas have their doors partially ajar. Must be working on them. Both sides of the hallway. Half boardwalk view. Half pool view.

Pretty sure it is the same on the first floor. They have fans down there too.

We are on the 2nd floor right now. Checked in this morning. Probably 10 big fans running in the hallway to dry out the carpet. Big tarp covering up the hole in the ceiling. One post in the hallway is mush - so much moisture behind the paint. This morning, they had fans in several villas. They had the doors to some open and the places were a mess. Floors ruined. Bedding and couch cushions all in piles. Like they would have to gut those rooms.

As a boardwalk owner, I hope there is insurance to cover this. It is going to be expensive.

When we were last here in September, we had a whole day with no hot water and now this hot water pipe burst. What is going on?
It was probably the fire suppression system that flooded, not hot water. Based on the fire alarms going off, that is likely the case. Fire suppression systems are sensitive, if the system senses one sprinkler head opening up, it will push pressure down the line and pop every sprinkler open. So this could have been someone accidentally banging into a sprinkler head, a faulty head, or there could have been a crack or leak that opened up in the pipe, which the system would sense as an open head, and would still pop open every sprinkler head.

Of course it could have also been fresh cold or hot water that broke open, and someone thought it would be a good opportunity to pull a fire alarm for fun.

They could be moved to the Inn side if absolutely necessary....maybe?
The Inn side is not open nor ready to receive guests on short notice. It's more likely that guests would be moved to another DVC resort with comparable accommodations (i.e. a studio -> studio, 2BR -> 2BR) if a similar or better villa were not available at BWV.

They could be moved to the Inn side if absolutely necessary....maybe?

This happened to us several (like 10?) years ago. We had a 2BR booked, and they moved us to concierge level presidential suite on the Inn side. That said, per previous poster, not sure if they'd be able to do that now since it's closed. But I think it was definitely a great solution for us. We got to keep our location & relative room size. Ironically, we had to move because of a burst pipe issue.

We have a Grand for December. Hoping they've worked out these issues by that point, and our dues don't skyrocket. But we'll deal with whatever happens.

This happened to us several (like 10?) years ago. We had a 2BR booked, and they moved us to concierge level presidential suite on the Inn side. That said, per previous poster, not sure if they'd be able to do that now since it's closed. But I think it was definitely a great solution for us. We got to keep our location & relative room size. Ironically, we had to move because of a burst pipe issue.

We have a Grand for December. Hoping they've worked out these issues by that point, and our dues don't skyrocket. But we'll deal with whatever happens.
Repairs should be covered by insurance. At least homeowners insurance generally covers water damage due to burst pipes. We actually had a flood in our office waiting room due to an upstairs tenant who bled the radiators but failed to close the valve completely. Ceiling, carpets, furniture, electronics were all covered by insurance, minus our deductible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter