Flight time advice

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Just curious we will be going on our first family cruise and I'm starting to look into flights... Since we live in upstate NY we don't have a lot of options. Fly out of our very small home airport that only goes to Detroit or drive to a slightly larger airport an hour and 15 minute drive away.

I know DCL recommends flights after 12 but there is a flight that leaves at 10:15 that is so tempting because it gets us in at 2:30pm which means home by 4:30. Any advice on if we could make this work. This airport also has a flight that leaves at 1 and gets in a 7. (the safe choice I guess)

The other option is a 4:00pm flight that puts us in our home airport at 10pm. Makes me nervous as there is only one flight in! If it's cancelled we are stuck! Plus what on earth would we do until the flight leaves?

Thanks for your experiences!

Assuming you are sailing out of Port Canaveral, the 1015 is not really possible.

We did Express Walkoff once because I was attending a conference at a WDW resort that morning. The ship arrived on time and we got off very early. Cleared customs (there was a line) quickly. Got picked up by a pre-arranged private car service. We arrived at our WDW resort after 9 am.

Assuming you could make it to the airport about the same time you have to get through the checkin line and checkin before your flight closes out, then get through MCO's notoriously long security line, then the long haul to your gate. At best you are cutting it insanely close, at worst you will miss the flight. If there is any delay - ship gets in late, takes longer to clear customs, you are delayed getting off or clearing customs, TSA line is long, an accident on the highway on the way to the airport delays you, etc etc - you won't make the flight.

The 1 pm is much safer and quite reasonably feasible. You would have time to have breakfast on the ship, get to the airport without rushing, maybe even grab some lunch at the airport. A much more relaxed departure.

4 pm is also an option. The airport can be interesting to explore. The Hyatt inside MCO has day rooms to rent.

Trip interruption insurance is usually a good idea and should cover (read the fine print) a situation of the 4 pm flight being cancelled.

SW

I wouldn't do the 10:15. You will be so stressed about making the flight and totally not worth the few hours you would save. Go for the 1:00 flight. Get off the ship at 9:00, explore the shops at the airport, have a sit down lunch. Much more relaxing!

Totally agree with avoiding the 10:15 flight. The Dream was a little late with disembarking because both escalators were down for a bit in the terminal slowing everyone getting off the boat. You never know what weird thing can happen to slow you down. The 1:00 flight will work much better.

Thank you. It would be out of Port Canaveral. Didn’t even think about the ship being late. I’m thinking 1 and will definitely be getting trip insurance after I book the flights and know the cost. So off the ship at 9 and if I use Disney transportation that means airport st 10:30ish?

Based on my previous cruises. It takes around 45 minutes to line up to leave the Fantasy and get through customs. So if you line up to leave the boat at 8AM, you should be out on the curb by 9, and to the airport by 10. On our trip last month it took my family about 5 minutes to get through security using TSA Precheck. My sister and her family took 50 minutes, they didn't have TSA Precheck.

We managed to catch a 10:30 flight twice, one barely (the girl at the counter nearly refused to take our luggage) and one with a bit more leeway but still too close for comfort. Express walk-off, private car, express check-in (business), TSA-Pre and we were still looking at our watch the entire time.

For example of what could go wrong, we were waiting for our limo and considered jumping in a taxi that was waiting there. Our driver showed up and someone else took the cab. 15 minutes later, that cab was on the side of the highway with the hood open.

We now only fly after 11:30 or the day after if there are not direct or connecting flights.

Just curious we will be going on our first family cruise and I'm starting to look into flights... Since we live in upstate NY we don't have a lot of options. Fly out of our very small home airport that only goes to Detroit or drive to a slightly larger airport an hour and 15 minute drive away.

I know DCL recommends flights after 12 but there is a flight that leaves at 10:15 that is so tempting because it gets us in at 2:30pm which means home by 4:30. Any advice on if we could make this work. This airport also has a flight that leaves at 1 and gets in a 7. (the safe choice I guess)

The other option is a 4:00pm flight that puts us in our home airport at 10pm. Makes me nervous as there is only one flight in! If it's cancelled we are stuck! Plus what on earth would we do until the flight leaves?

Thanks for your experiences!
As another option, you could take the 10:15 flight the next morning. Just get a room for the night at the airport. Use it as a transition day between the cruise and the real world. Lots of restaurants/shops at the airport, and the Hyatt also has a pool, if you want to use it.

As another option, you could take the 10:15 flight the next morning. Just get a room for the night at the airport. Use it as a transition day between the cruise and the real world. Lots of restaurants/shops at the airport, and the Hyatt also has a pool, if you want to use it.
I would love to but we are doing 3 nights at Wdw before and we have a wedding on that Sunday since it’s Labor Day weekend! Then school starts. I’m going to need a cruise to relax afterwards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter