Flight of Passage w/ 5 yr old question??

KaityB

Earning My Ears
At this point, we couldn't get a FP for the attraction, but my husband and I were discussing whether to rope drop this with our 5 yr daughter...If it would be worth it for us. She is tall enough, but i've read that the ride can be a little intense. When we've done 3D experiences in the past, I've instructed her to take off her glasses if it gets too scary and she does just that and then puts them back on when everything calms down without a problem. Can this be done on Flight of Passage? I know every child is different as well, I would like to hear some of your experiences too. Thank you!

Our 5 year old absolutely loved it! He’s ridden it multiple times and can’t wait to do it again. Normally he’s a little iffy on the bigger rides, but he had no problems with this one. The glasses are adult sized and he has to hold them on with one hand while he rides. I’ve read about people trying to use a hair tie to hold them in place. We will try that out next time.

My 6 yo granddaughter would not miss this, and she's a tiny one! Not an easy ride to take glasses off in, We used a stretchy headband to help keep the glasses on, worked better for us than the hair ties.

My 5 year old has ridden it once and didn't like it. No freak out or anything just got off the ride and said she didn't like it. However she is willing to go on it again if her Daddy goes on it with her. That being said, she also doesn't like Soarin' (but loves all the roller coasters, especially Expedition Everest). I second using a headband. The glasses are so big especially for a little kid. The headband worked great when we went.

Our 5-year olds LOVED it. We just rode it a couple of weeks ago. Our son loved it the most, but our daughter was a little scared, as was I. It's definitely intense! But we all agreed it was worth riding again (we had a FP+ for the second ride, otherwise we would not have ridden again). They definitely had to hold the glasses on with one hand. In fact, I struggled to hold the glasses on the second time when I was wearing my hair differently.

You know your child the best. Our kids are thrill-seekers and ride all of the roller coasters. This was their first trip tall enough for Space Mountain and Expedition Everest, and they loved both.

Our 5 yr old grand daughter loved it as did the other 4 grand kids ranging up to 15.

Bill From PA

My kids are 7, 9, and 9. I swear they took turns "freaking" out and being scared each time we have been on FOP. The first trip we went, DD9 refused to ride it the first time, then went back later to ride it and was crying at first but ended up loving it. This trip DS7, who loved it the first trip, didn't like it very much. I think part of the issue is the way that they are restrained on the ride - that seemed to bother my kids more than the actual ride itself. They have all alternated riding it with the glasses on and off.

My DD4 loves Soarin and Star Tours but disliked FOP. Too intense for her, but no crying - she just kept asking when it would be over and refused to ride it again. A few things that may help ease the experience.
1) You can watch the Leona Lewis "I See You" video as a G-rated way to introduce your child to the story, environment and characters of Pandora.
2) I recommend placing her in between you, so you can both reach a hand if she's frightened. This helped our little one.
3) The most frightening parts for her were when it felt like we were falling and when Taruk (or however it's spelled, but the really big banshee thing) attacks your banshee. Closing her eyes helped with that.
4) I wish I'd had a headband, because even my DD8's headset kept slipping down. Great suggestion!

My DD4 loves Soarin and Star Tours but disliked FOP. Too intense for her, but no crying - she just kept asking when it would be over and refused to ride it again. A few things that may help ease the experience.
1) You can watch the Leona Lewis "I See You" video as a G-rated way to introduce your child to the story, environment and characters of Pandora.
2) I recommend placing her in between you, so you can both reach a hand if she's frightened. This helped our little one.
3) The most frightening parts for her were when it felt like we were falling and when Taruk (or however it's spelled, but the really big banshee thing) attacks your banshee. Closing her eyes helped with that.
4) I wish I'd had a headband, because even my DD8's headset kept slipping down. Great suggestion!
Those are great suggestions I believe i'll use!

The headband tip (or any other trick to help hold those adult sized glasses on a child's head) is a great one. My son tends to have a head circumference on the "larger" side (sorry buddy, you got that from me), and even he had problems keeping them on his head. My wife and I compared all 3 sets of glasses side by side to see which one seemed the "tightest" and least "broken in", and that pair went to Branden.

Interesting, we decided against taking our 5-year-old as we thought the ride may be too intense for her. I guess it really depends on the child.

My son was 4 years old (well, 4.5). He LOVED it. We rode it twice that day and he wanted to go back for more! He didn't quite understand the whole "hard to get FPs" concept and hates waiting in line too, LOL.

We did it with our 5 year old twice in October when we were down the first time he did not like because his glasses kept moving, the second time my wife held them on his face and he absolutely loved it still talks about it now.

We used a stretchy headband to help keep the glasses on, worked better for us than the hair ties.

Did you put the glasses on and then put the headband on their head as you'd normally put a headband on? Or did you wrap the headband around the ends of the glasses?

I thought I read that over the last couple months they got new glasses for this ride, that were a tighter for for the youngings?

Did you put the glasses on and then put the headband on their head as you'd normally put a headband on? Or did you wrap the headband around the ends of the glasses?
We just tucked the earpieces under the headband. I have also read that they have new glasses, but we always have a headband with us, just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter