• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight of passage question

chwtom

Earning My Ears
planning a last minute Orlando trip with my daughter using some airline miles and hotel points. We won’t be staying at Disney, so no 60 day window for fast passes.
I assume we won’t get flight of passage fast passes at the 30 day mark, correct?
Is the best bet running at rope drop? What’s the line like then? We could go on feb 24 or 25, is one day preferable?
Thanks much.

You won’t get FP at this point. :(
But it is also the weekend of the Princess Half marathon run - so busy regardless.

However -
The 10k is on the 24th and the half is on the 25th.

More people sign up for the half - so I would go on the 25th. Reason being, after the run most people don’t go to the parks. So more people are “occupied” that day. Also the run is at MK/Epcot so if they go to a park it is there.

Arrive at AK at least an hour before park opens. They will start getting people through the turnstiles about 45 minutes before official park open and spread people out. When you enter, go toward the tree of life and keep left. You’ll just follow the crowd. Check out a map of AK before you go so you have the area in your head.
I did this and got on the ride within 30 minutes. It may be 45-one hour for you, much better than the 3 hour waits I’ve been seeing!
Good luck!

Just checked my schedule, we could actually go Friday as well. Would that make a big difference vs Saturday?

I forgot to check extra magic hours! If you aren’t staying at a Disney springs hotel that now offers extra magic hours, avoid AK on Saturday the 24th. It opens an hour early for guests staying on Disney property resorts (and now a few Disney springs area hotels). By the time you get there when they let you in, the line would be really long.

planning a last minute Orlando trip with my daughter using some airline miles and hotel points. We won’t be staying at Disney, so no 60 day window for fast passes.
I assume we won’t get flight of passage fast passes at the 30 day mark, correct?
Is the best bet running at rope drop? What’s the line like then? We could go on feb 24 or 25, is one day preferable?
Thanks much.

Let me just share something I learned today

Book your fp one at a time for this ride and get the times close together and ride together

And I had success today at 20 days out

I've been watching the wait times at rope drop and at closing and I feel like the wait times are lower at the end of the night...but every one is saying to do rope drop. I'm so conflicted lol.

If you can get there early enough to be at the front of the rope drop pack, that is the shortest wait. The second time choice is getting in line just before park closing.

I had a FP for FoP this morning but rope dropped it anyway. Was at the gate about 8:10, would have been off the ride around 9:10 had it not malfunctioned. As it was, we rode FoP twice (rope drop and FP) and Navi (anytime FP from FoP malfunction) by 10:10.

Leaving the park now. While I am sure the standby time is inflated a bit, it was 200 min 20 min ago, and it looked it.

Also check again a day ahead for FPs. I'd booked FOP for two different days of my last trip. After the first ride, I discovered I didn't like it, so I released my remaining FP. Someone out there must have been thrilled to find it!

The day that I'm going to AK, I'm also going to DHS in the morning because I'll only be there for 3 days. So should I drop my FPs for DHS in hopes that I'll get a FP for FOP?

What time would you suggest I get there on Friday feb 23? Tried to book fp, both together and individually, with no luck.

I’ve been trying to modify mine individually and together (2 people) for 3 weeks now with no luck. Ugh. I just need to move it up 2 hours. It’s the day we fly out.

Undercover tourist has a crowd calendar and it actually says that Friday the 23rd would be the best day to go to AK! Best of luck!

OOH We will be doing the exact same thing at rope drop that same day. Running the 5k that morning with our kids... then We have a Safari FP between 9:05 and 10:05, and Brunch at the Tusker house, so we plan to get there for FOP immediately and hope to be out and to Safari by 9:45 so we can knock out those 2 before lunch! I reserved all my fast passes in the first 10 minutes of my 60 day window and still couldn’t get FOP FP!

The day that I'm going to AK, I'm also going to DHS in the morning because I'll only be there for 3 days. So should I drop my FPs for DHS in hopes that I'll get a FP for FOP?
You won’t get a FP for FOP if you have my luck... in the first 10 minutes of my 60 day window I made reservations and still couldn’t get it.

id definitely do rope drop its your best bet. Since i moved down here i check occasionally for a FP however i have no luck at all! Thankfully one night while in the park there happened to have one pop up so i was able to ride it and definitely was not a disappointment! But yes rope drop is your best bet.

A FOP Cast Member told us that he found that the best strategy is to get in line just before park closing. In his words, "If you are going to wait in line, it's best at night and when everything else is closed and you aren't missing out on anything". Personally, I'd take a end of the night FOP line over an end of the night resort bus line any day. Going back to the resort well after park closing might actually make your bus ride back to the resort a lot less crowded. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter