• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

Probably would take up valuable space and have an impact on the theming

Possibly, yes, but right now the test seat for FoP is sitting in the walkway of Pandora and is kind of showing up as an eyesore in the backgrounds of people's Photopass photos of the floating mountains so I suppose that doesn't help much with theming either, I guess 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. :)

Not sure if I'm jumping in half way through this conversation but I could see the usefulness of an area that had all the test seats in one location so you could try out the seat or take photopass photos or make sure your children fit safely on the ride or are tall enough, that might actually be cool.

I completely agree with you! We don't have anyone in our family that wouldn't fit on any of the rides, but I am sympathic to those who can't. A special room located in the park with all test seats would be great. Sadly, I witnessed a lady at Busch Gardens Williamsburg yesterday that was turned away because the harness couldn't come all the way down. The disappointed and/or embarrassment on her face upset me.

Certainly, I can't judge her, as I would not want her to judge me as well.

As far as children's height, when you walk into the park, they have several employees standing there in a "measurement area". They band the child's wrist with a certain color, then give them a paper with all the rides they are able to go. It certainly has to eliminate some of the disappointments. I thought it was brilliant!!

Here now in line. Had to get a cm to help me with the test seat. There were a bunch of young people sort of snickering but the cm shoes them away.
I got outside but we will see if I fit inside. I've lost over 50pounds in the last few months and hopefully I will make it. If not, the fault is mine and my poor choices but I will still enjoy the night. If encourage everyone to try the seat and not be embarrassed. I know it's not easy. I was more comfortable at BB than I was in the test seat. But it's worth a try and I'm thankful there is a test seat.

Here now in line. Had to get a cm to help me with the test seat. There were a bunch of young people sort of snickering but the cm shoes them away.
I got outside but we will see if I fit inside. I've lost over 50pounds in the last few months and hopefully I will make it. If not, the fault is mine and my poor choices but I will still enjoy the night. If encourage everyone to try the seat and not be embarrassed. I know it's not easy. I was more comfortable at BB than I was in the test seat. But it's worth a try and I'm thankful there is a test seat.
This is an excellent attitude. Congrats on the 50 pounds loss!

I completely agree with you! We don't have anyone in our family that wouldn't fit on any of the rides, but I am sympathic to those who can't. A special room located in the park with all test seats would be great. Sadly, I witnessed a lady at Busch Gardens Williamsburg yesterday that was turned away because the harness couldn't come all the way down. The disappointed and/or embarrassment on her face upset me.

Certainly, I can't judge her, as I would not want her to judge me as well.

As far as children's height, when you walk into the park, they have several employees standing there in a "measurement area". They band the child's wrist with a certain color, then give them a paper with all the rides they are able to go. It certainly has to eliminate some of the disappointments. I thought it was brilliant!!

The wrist bands can be slipped off and put on another child. While someone might not do that at their local amusement park, it becomes much more tempting to do so during an expensive once-or-twice in a lifetime vacation. WDW dies have the height requirements online for people to look at, and also has them on the maps. Since each attraction has to have a measurement done, and each queue has to have a flexible entrance due to crowd control, there's really no way to have a central measuring area for height.

Now, for the ride vehicles, sure, they could have actual seats some place inside, perhaps in a closed attraction building. They could have them at the level needed for boarding as well, to see if people could get in and out as well as if they could physically fit.

While riding tonight I saw one person that the cm really worked to get to fit. I didn't think she was going to make it but the cm did a great job of getting her in.

Could you go into a bit more detail on her size? I'm very worried about fitting.

Not sure if I'm jumping in half way through this conversation but I could see the usefulness of an area that had all the test seats in one location so you could try out the seat or take photopass photos or make sure your children fit safely on the ride or are tall enough, that might actually be cool.

The person I quoted said they needed to have a private area with test vehicles. And me being me. when someone says Disney Should Have...I try to figure out ways to make it work if it is possible. I took the private to mean so that people wouldn't be embarrassed or ridiculed, as that was much of the recent discussion.

The person I quoted said they needed to have a private area with test vehicles. And me being me. when someone says Disney Should Have...I try to figure out ways to make it work if it is possible. I took the private to mean so that people wouldn't be embarrassed or ridiculed, as that was much of the recent discussion.

Ok I see, makes sense. :)

Where ever you go in the world unfortunately people have the potential to be *pratts*, but I would try not to worry about it.

Honestly if you just focused on your family and daughter's wonderment you are going to have a fab time.

Don't let them ruin your fun time :goodvibes and I'm sure even if a *Total Spanner* does say something, if you're more focused on the fun and enjoying your fab trip then those will be the things your Daughter remembers.

*used some mainly UK terms for Idiots, as I wanted to use stronger language but I don't want to fall foul of the board rules. although anyone who would go on holiday and start commenting on total stranger appearance in my opinion is a total *Bell-End*

Loved all the UK terms... This gave me a smile... I was reading, and thought this poster must be from England, and then I saw I was correct at the end. I'm going to have to remember 'pratts', 'total spanner', and 'bell-end'... LOVE it!!

I am concerned about a couple of things with this ride seating, and hope that maybe someone can answer my questions. I don't want to waste FP+ selections or stand in line for over an hour if we're going to end up not able to ride. I know my questions are fairly specific and maybe can't be answered, but I figure, it's worth a try!

First... How handicapped-accessible is this ride? My adult sister has CP and navigates the parks in her wheel chair, although usually she just uses crutches to walk. She has balance issues and leg-flexibility issues. How "rocky" is the ride and how bent are your knees when in the seat?

Next... DD23 has hip issues (she's a dancer) and sometimes can't ride things. For example, she's never been able to ride Alpine-slide type things because when sitting in a vehicle with a central pedestal with her legs fully extended and having her legs/feet immobilized around it, it flares her hip tendonitis and makes it feel like her hips want to pop. How much wiggle-room does one have when secured into these ride vehicles? Can you shift to take the pressure off of certain areas?

Also... When I use leg machines at the gym, I sometimes get a charleyhorse in my calves. It happens on the machines where you sit with your legs dangling, tuck your feet/ankles behind a padded roller, and then have to lift/extend your legs until they are straight out in front of you. It's the pressure of having my feet tucked behind me, with knees bent, that triggers the calf cramping. any guesses if this kind of thing might happen in these ride vehicles?

Finally... motion sickness. I have to close my eyes when Aladdin is swooping on the carpets through the buildings in the scenes at Mickey's Philharmagic. (no real surprise as I get motion sick on everything... even have to be careful to "spot" when on Dumbo.) Is there any hope for me on this ride, or should I just throw in the towel and let others ride?

Thanks to anyone who tries to answer my fairly-specific questions!

I am concerned about a couple of things with this ride seating, and hope that maybe someone can answer my questions. I don't want to waste FP+ selections or stand in line for over an hour if we're going to end up not able to ride. I know my questions are fairly specific and maybe can't be answered, but I figure, it's worth a try!

First... How handicapped-accessible is this ride? My adult sister has CP and navigates the parks in her wheel chair, although usually she just uses crutches to walk. She has balance issues and leg-flexibility issues. How "rocky" is the ride and how bent are your knees when in the seat?

Next... DD23 has hip issues (she's a dancer) and sometimes can't ride things. For example, she's never been able to ride Alpine-slide type things because when sitting in a vehicle with a central pedestal with her legs fully extended and having her legs/feet immobilized around it, it flares her hip tendonitis and makes it feel like her hips want to pop. How much wiggle-room does one have when secured into these ride vehicles? Can you shift to take the pressure off of certain areas?

Also... When I use leg machines at the gym, I sometimes get a charleyhorse in my calves. It happens on the machines where you sit with your legs dangling, tuck your feet/ankles behind a padded roller, and then have to lift/extend your legs until they are straight out in front of you. It's the pressure of having my feet tucked behind me, with knees bent, that triggers the calf cramping. any guesses if this kind of thing might happen in these ride vehicles?

Finally... motion sickness. I have to close my eyes when Aladdin is swooping on the carpets through the buildings in the scenes at Mickey's Philharmagic. (no real surprise as I get motion sick on everything... even have to be careful to "spot" when on Dumbo.) Is there any hope for me on this ride, or should I just throw in the towel and let others ride?

Thanks to anyone who tries to answer my fairly-specific questions!

Watch the video someone posted above:
I know it's specifically about large people fitting on FOP but she shows the seats well and how you have to bend your knees/hips to sit on the ride. Might help answer some of your questions.

As for motion sickness - I haven't ridden it yet so can't really comment on that, but 3D attractions bother me and I've always had luck with just not wearing the glasses. Sure everything is blurry and you can't see the screen as well, but that's better than being sick all day after riding.

The wrist bands can be slipped off and put on another child. While someone might not do that at their local amusement park, it becomes much more tempting to do so during an expensive once-or-twice in a lifetime vacation. WDW dies have the height requirements online for people to look at, and also has them on the maps. Since each attraction has to have a measurement done, and each queue has to have a flexible entrance due to crowd control, there's really no way to have a central measuring area for height.

Now, for the ride vehicles, sure, they could have actual seats some place inside, perhaps in a closed attraction building. They could have them at the level needed for boarding as well, to see if people could get in and out as well as if they could physically fit.
We got a height wristband for our son at Dollyland and they just did it tight enough it couldn't be slipped off.

Loved all the UK terms... This gave me a smile... I was reading, and thought this poster must be from England, and then I saw I was correct at the end. I'm going to have to remember 'pratts', 'total spanner', and 'bell-end'... LOVE it!!
I picked up prats a long time ago after an externship in the UK. Oh, and I also picked up phrases like "bloody useless" and tosser. :)

I got outside but we will see if I fit inside. I've lost over 50pounds in the last few months and hopefully I will make it. If not, the fault is mine and my poor choices but I will still enjoy the night. If encourage everyone to try the seat and not be embarrassed. I know it's not easy. I was more comfortable at BB than I was in the test seat. But it's worth a try and I'm thankful there is a test
We got a height wristband for our son at Dollyland and they just did it tight enough it couldn't be slipped off.
The wrist bands at Busch Gardens were put on tight as well. In addition, there was an employee standing at each ride entrance. If a child was in doubt, they were measuring. I think it helps the honest parent that would like to save the tears prior to go going up to the ride. For a newbie to Disney, there are too many rides to recall each height restriction.

My daughter had one at Hershey last year that was cutting off her circulation. It left red marks on her wrist. :scared1: I broke it off her about five minutes after it was put on.

Most larger parks do have a ride wristband system for kids. It's nice when they are close to only be measured once a day, not at every ride. However, test seats are always in the open. Plus they are usually full of people taking pictures in them, rather than the real reason for the seat. The test seat seems to be pretty important for FOP because it's not the same kind of seat as another ride. Rollercoaster seats tend to be similar, so you can have a pretty good idea from another ride if you will fit well or not. Most people aren't aware of their calf size. I'm not sure my son who is 6 1/2 feet tall would fit after looking at some of these reviews.

My daughter had one at Hershey last year that was cutting off her circulation. It left red marks on her wrist. :scared1: I broke it off her about five minutes after it was put on.

Most larger parks do have a ride wristband system for kids. It's nice when they are close to only be measured once a day, not at every ride. However, test seats are always in the open. Plus they are usually full of people taking pictures in them, rather than the real reason for the seat. The test seat seems to be pretty important for FOP because it's not the same kind of seat as another ride. Rollercoaster seats tend to be similar, so you can have a pretty good idea from another ride if you will fit well or not. Most people aren't aware of their calf size. I'm not sure my son who is 6 1/2 feet tall would fit after looking at some of these reviews.
Have him try. It is not just calf size. In order to tell if one fits there would need to be a complicated algorithm taking into account height, weight and roundness, leg length, calf size, shoe size....it is really a combination of many tings and how all of those things fit together. After riding a few times and watching others ride it does seem to be very few that won't fit, much like seven dwarves mine train.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter