• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

Anyone have experience with being short and large? I've read about those who are overweight and those who are tall. I am hoping the fact that I am short will work in my favor to overcome the other larger areas of my body. :moped:

Quick update: I tried calling Guest Relations today just to let them know I was disappointed that I could not ride, not really to complain but just to ask if they had any plans to add more accommodating ride vehicles. I also had to compliment two CMs that we came in contact with at the resort. When I asked to be transferred to Guest Relations I was told that the only way to contact them was through email. So thank you to the PP that provided the email address and also this is the one I was provided on the phone: Guest.Services@DisneyWorld.com

And anyone that would make a comment is not worth worrying about for one second! Ugly on the inside is much much much worse than heavy on the outside!!!

True story. Those who matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter..

You won't see those people EVER again, and even if they thought ugly thoughts about you, it says more about them than you.

Anyone have experience with being short and large? I've read about those who are overweight and those who are tall. I am hoping the fact that I am short will work in my favor to overcome the other larger areas of my body. :moped:

And I was worrying about the opposite...that since I'm short, my thighs will come into play. I hope that you're more positive outlook is the correct one. :)

HHMMM what if you put you legs n a certain position (tip toes,e t) to fit, and then partway through the ride you get a leg cramp? and can't do anything about it?

I've never understood why amusement parks don't have an private area with all of the test seats so guests can try each of them all at once. It's not like it would take up much room and it would make it much simpler.

How would you set it up? By each ride? Would you only have 1? I don't know, then if there were a few people lining up to try the ride then they could be accused of making the larger people line up and be subject to ridicule that way.

Maybe they could set up more like a photo op, and have it not just be to try the size?

I go to disney because it is fat friendly (among other reasons), I get to ride everything. Universal is not fat friendly, I get to see the shows and the less exciting rides. It has always been that way. Now it looks like disney is changing. No longer providing the same experience for everyone regardless of size. Gone are those days apparently.
Disney isn't changing. They wanted to create a ride that felt like you were actually riding on a banshee. They used all the technological advances they had to create an experience that not only simulates flight but flight on a live animal. To achieve that they came up with this current seat. Yes, some people don't fit and I feel bad for them, but to be angry at Disney for designing a ride that doesn't accommodate 100% of guests is silly. They don't turn the lights on at space mountain to accommodate people who are afraid of the dark. I'm really sorry but sometimes to create the experience disney wants to create, hard decisions have to be made. One of the main complaints itt is about the calf restraints which many believe help facilitate the rider feeling the "breath" of the banshee. Well that happens to be one of the most lauded aspects of the ride. Yes I feel sympathy for those that can't fit because of that decision. Yea I hope they find away to make it work for everyone in the future. But, I'm glad disney made that part of the ride. It's an amazing feature that really adds to the ride. The anger and disappointment in this thread directed towards disney is misplaced. If every ride has to cater to every potential issue to accommodate every guest, disney would be the Navi River Journey

Disney isn't changing. They wanted to create a ride that felt like you were actually riding on a banshee. They used all the technological advances they had to create an experience that not only simulates flight but flight on a live animal. To achieve that they came up with this current seat. Yes, some people don't fit and I feel bad for them, but to be angry at Disney for designing a ride that doesn't accommodate 100% of guests is silly. They don't turn the lights on at space mountain to accommodate people who are afraid of the dark. I'm really sorry but sometimes to create the experience disney wants to create, hard decisions have to be made. One of the main complaints itt is about the calf restraints which many believe help facilitate the rider feeling the "breath" of the banshee. Well that happens to be one of the most lauded aspects of the ride. Yes I feel sympathy for those that can't fit because of that decision. Yea I hope they find away to make it work for everyone in the future. But, I'm glad disney made that part of the ride. It's an amazing feature that really adds to the ride. The anger and disappointment in this thread directed towards disney is misplaced. If every ride has to cater to every potential issue to accommodate every guest, disney would be the Navi River Journey

I agree there are so many rides I can't ride due to how my brain is wired :crazy: I can't ride hardly anything at Universal. Disney is way way better obviously, but there are things there too that will be off limits. But I'm still happy that there are so many things I can ride

Disney isn't changing. They wanted to create a ride that felt like you were actually riding on a banshee. They used all the technological advances they had to create an experience that not only simulates flight but flight on a live animal. To achieve that they came up with this current seat. Yes, some people don't fit and I feel bad for them, but to be angry at Disney for designing a ride that doesn't accommodate 100% of guests is silly. They don't turn the lights on at space mountain to accommodate people who are afraid of the dark. I'm really sorry but sometimes to create the experience disney wants to create, hard decisions have to be made. One of the main complaints itt is about the calf restraints which many believe help facilitate the rider feeling the "breath" of the banshee. Well that happens to be one of the most lauded aspects of the ride. Yes I feel sympathy for those that can't fit because of that decision. Yea I hope they find away to make it work for everyone in the future. But, I'm glad disney made that part of the ride. It's an amazing feature that really adds to the ride. The anger and disappointment in this thread directed towards disney is misplaced. If every ride has to cater to every potential issue to accommodate every guest, disney would be the Navi River Journey[/QU

I have to agree. the thing my hubby is most disappointed about is that this new ride is yet another 3D ride. one of the aspects of is low vision is he can't see 3D anymore. (he SO misses donald duck and ariel reaching out for you in Mickey's Philharmagic)

but he doesn't expect disney to stop making 3D rides. yes, he' disappointed.but he also understands how the 3D aspect enhances the ride for most people.

Last edited:
This post reminds me of my Disney and Universal 2013 trip. I didn't have any problems with Disney at all. I got to Universal and didn't try the test seats for the hulk as kids were sitting in them with their parents all gathered around. It was the first ride we were going on not Disney and we all thought we would be fine. I waited in the line and thenot could not fit in the seat much thighs or hips were too wide. I was so embarrassed. I didn't try any rides with that type of seat from then on Rrr, DC etc but I did fit on Harry Potter Forbidden Journey I too think there should be a separate test seat room where they all are and you can try all the seats. It would be much less embarrassing I have lost 2 5 stone and still loosing to go back on honeymoon and go on everything.

How would you set it up? By each ride? Would you only have 1? I don't know, then if there were a few people lining up to try the ride then they could be accused of making the larger people line up and be subject to ridicule that way.

Maybe they could set up more like a photo op, and have it not just be to try the size?

I'm sorry but I don't understand your post at all. Most amusement parks already have tests seats at the entrance to many of their rides where guests try them in front of everyone.

They created and are marketing a simulator ride that everyone is raving about that borrows aspects from other rides that people who cannot fit on the new ride can fit on, of course those people are going to be disappointed and propose solutions in a thread about those things. I certainly would not want anyone who can fit into the normal seat to be forced into a seat that would diminish the full ride experience, but at the same time can surmise that a possible solution would be to modify a very limited number of seats that would accommodate people of size and others who for whatever reason can't tolerate the normal seats. I would have no issue with having to wait through extra ride cycles if there were by design few enough of those seats to make sure no riders who don't want to be in them have to be assigned to them and to assure thorough put remains at the necessary levels. Whether they can or are willing to choose to do or not do this for whatever reason(s) is certainly speculative at this point, but this thread is clearly the place for it.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand the full problem for most people has nothing to do with their weight. In fact, if you had read through this thread you would see, for most people, the issue is overly muscular or large calves.

I have read the posts. Again I will repeat, not everyone can ride everything. If you have naturally large calves that won't fit then yeah that sucks. But if you have very large calves due to being a gym junkie or due to an issue with weight, if it's that much of an issue for you, you can choose to change that. I don't think anyone can argue with that

I'm sorry but I don't understand your post at all. Most amusement parks already have tests seats at the entrance to many of their rides where guests try them in front of everyone.

You said you wanted a private area. Not just test seats out in the open.

You said you wanted a private area. Not just test seats out in the open.

Not sure if I'm jumping in half way through this conversation but I could see the usefulness of an area that had all the test seats in one location so you could try out the seat or take photopass photos or make sure your children fit safely on the ride or are tall enough, that might actually be cool.

Not sure if I'm jumping in half way through this conversation but I could see the usefulness of an area that had all the test seats in one location so you could try out the seat or take photopass photos or make sure your children fit safely on the ride or are tall enough, that might actually be cool.
Probably would take up valuable space and have an impact on the theming

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter