Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

This thread really has me nervous. I'm only 5'6" tall, but at 305 lbs, I'm officially a "fat guy." I'm not as concerned about the leg restraint as I am about fitting into the seat in general. I have a 54" waist size, so there's only so far "forward" I'm going to be able to sit in the seat before my stomach stops me.

I've NEVER had a problem fitting on any ride in all of WDW, but I admit that on certain aircraft I doneed one of those seatbelt extenders.

Has anyone or similar size reported being able to ride?
This is from a Search for 54 in the Official Pandora thread:
FOP- I'm 5'5" and weigh 294 with a 54" stomach. I rode today and just fit. I feel if I was any bigger I wouldn't have been able to.
That said the ride is amazing! We loved it and can't wait to go again.

I do wish parks had at the main entrance off to the side, behind a barrier of some sort, test seats for all the rides, so you could do all the testing when you get in and plan your day accordingly.

I've always wondered why theme parks place the tests seats in the open for the same reasons mentioned in this thread. My only thought is that it might be done so that a) people are aware one exists and b) to avoid putting CMs in the position of "profiling" and having them ask individuals to try the test seat prior to entering the line. Under that scenario, while the test seat is hidden to prevent embarrassment, someone could still be placed in an embarrassing situation if an employee publicly asks someone to try the seat first. It seems like one of those "you can't win" scenarios.

I just want to try and prevent people from making an early assumption of "There's no way I'll fit." based on the experiences of others. I completely understand the reasoning, but it just makes me sad to think someone may unnecessarily miss out as a result, especially since the percentage of riders turned away has been very, very low. I personally think WDI deserves some kudos for creating a unique ride vehicle that fits such a wide range of body types.

This is my thought process. I am a person of size and in a couple weeks, I will be in the FP line for FOP. I will go through with my family, after everything I've seen I'm pretty confident I will fit. But if not, I will be excited to hear my kids and husband tell me all about it. I want my skinny, string bean of a kid to be just as safe as me, so I understand there probably has to be some limit to the vehicle capacity.

I do wish parks had at the main entrance off to the side, behind a barrier of some sort, test seats for all the rides, so you could do all the testing when you get in and plan your day accordingly. Our home amusement park has this for height and even give kids colored bands so they know what rides they can or cannot go on. I understand that many people would walk right past/ignore them. But it would help with the anxiety of the test seats in front of the rides where it feels like EVERYONE is looking at you. And yes, I know most aren't even giving me a second glance.

The main problem with that is the size of the parks and the fact that plans change according to wait times and availability. In my local theme park, it would not be a big deal to walk to the front. It's not that big. There also isn't much variations in wait times because there are no shows. WDW is not the same.

I get being hesitant to try the test seat out front but I still agree with the folks that say it's much worse to get to the front of the line and be turned away.

One thing I want to add, is that I have a very large chest. I am tall enough that my rib cage is above the front of the seat. I think if I was shorter and my chest hit the front of the seat I would not be able to sit forward enough for the restraint. Just my 2 cents.

This is from a Search for 54 in the Official Pandora thread:

Thank you so much for finding this for me. While I'm relieved that this woman was able to ride, I'm still concerned that she "just fit."

I also found a post from a rider with a 56" waist, but at 5'10" he was not able to get his legs in the leg restraints. He was able to get the back restraint to close, so that is a relief for me.

I would love to hear from more people of size. I don't think I'm going to have an issue with the leg restraint with my short legs (29" inseam), but my 54" waist has me worried.

No because it's not just the calf size that's considered. The foot size also factors in as to how far forward a foot can be placed.

Measurements really don't apply to the seat restraints; it's the combination of the lower leg and foot anatomy.
So will my son's size 12/13 MEN'S SHOE size NOT WORK???????

If you have ridden the ride can you tell me how your knees are bent? DH is having a total knee replacement in 2 weeks and we are going to AK for the DVC party in September and are hoping to ride this. Does it put pressure on your knees like you are kneeling on those pads in front of your legs?

If you have ridden the ride can you tell me how your knees are bent? DH is having a total knee replacement in 2 weeks and we are going to AK for the DVC party in September and are hoping to ride this. Does it put pressure on your knees like you are kneeling on those pads in front of your legs?

My DH had knee surgery 4 weeks ago. It wasn't a replacement, but he had been wearing a brace up until the trip. He had no problems and said it felt just like he was sitting on FOP.

Thank you so much for finding this for me. While I'm relieved that this woman was able to ride, I'm still concerned that she "just fit."

I also found a post from a rider with a 56" waist, but at 5'10" he was not able to get his legs in the leg restraints. He was able to get the back restraint to close, so that is a relief for me.

I would love to hear from more people of size. I don't think I'm going to have an issue with the leg restraint with my short legs (29" inseam), but my 54" waist has me worried.

As a "Pooh sized" lady, I am also concerned. Right now I am 5'3" and almost 250 lbs (plus my calfs are huge at 19" circumference on top). I am concerned about fitting in both waist and calf areas, TBH. My waist is 48" but my hips are 56". It all depends upon where the restraint hits, I guess.

I also need the seat extender on flights...*sigh*

I would also like to hear from more 'people of size' as well. If I believe that there is a chance that I will fit then I will book a FP+ for the ride. We aren't going until November, so hopefully we'll know a lot more by then. I'll report my success or lack thereof when I get back, if it is still an issue for people. But perhaps Disney will have it all fixed by then.

It's not just "fat" people that are having problems. There have been reports of tall riders who have larger calves having problems as well. Disney dropped the ball on this one. With so many people in the 300-350 pound size, there is no reason their size couldn't have been accommodated by a different leg restraint. If you've never been on the receiving end of "fat" jokes or stares, you wouldn't understand what others here are saying. Hopefully you never will experience that kind of demeaning and mean-spirited commentary.

I've been on the other end - ridiculed for being underweight. 5'3' and 95 lbs. Called bone-rack, had the overweight neighbor call out over the property line about how skinny my legs were, etc. My wedding pictures were a bit ruined - my cousin squeezed my shoulders in my off the shoulder wedding dress while she said "you're so skinny!" and left red finger marks on me. You can see them in the close-ups. So I get the mean-spirit.

That said, I don't know anyone in the 300-350 range for weight. I know they exist, but I don't agree that there are 'so many people' in that range. Remember that WDW has to appeal to families - and families sometimes have small kids, and they need to be able to ride a lot of the attractions. The 44" height requirement is already limiting, if they made the seats bigger, they'd have to raise the height requirement as well, to make sure the seats were safe. If they had to make room for larger legs, how would smaller legs fit safely?

Last edited:
My DH had knee surgery 4 weeks ago. It wasn't a replacement, but he had been wearing a brace up until the trip. He had no problems and said it felt just like he was sitting on FOP.
Good to hear as I thought you needed to keep your knees bent with your feet behind your knees. From what you said it's basically just like sitting down and forward ... am I correct ?

As a "Pooh sized" lady, I am also concerned. Right now I am 5'3" and almost 250 lbs (plus my calfs are huge at 19" circumference on top). I am concerned about fitting in both waist and calf areas, TBH. My waist is 48" but my hips are 56". It all depends upon where the restraint hits, I guess.

I also need the seat extender on flights...*sigh*

I would also like to hear from more 'people of size' as well. If I believe that there is a chance that I will fit then I will book a FP+ for the ride. We aren't going until November, so hopefully we'll know a lot more by then. I'll report my success or lack thereof when I get back, if it is still an issue for people. But perhaps Disney will have it all fixed by then.
I will be there June 15. I am almost exactly your size. I'll let you know if I fit on the ride

I've been on the other end - ridiculed for being underweight. 5'3' and 95 lbs. Called bone-rack, had the overweight neighbor call out over the property line about how skinny my legs were, etc. My wedding pictures were a bit ruined - my cousin squeezed my shoulders in my off the shoulder wedding dress while she said "you're so skinny!" and left red finger marks on me. You can see them in the close-ups. So I get the mean-spirit.

That said, I don't know anyone in the 300-350 range for weight. I know they exist, but I don't agree that there are 'so many people' in that range. Remember that WDW has to appeal to families - and families sometimes have small kids, and they need to be able to ride a lot of the attractions. The 44" height requirement is already limiting, if they made the seats bigger, they'd have to raise the height requirement as well, to make sure the seats were safe. If they had to make room for larger legs, how wold smaller legs fit safely?

They managed to design a seat/restraint system for a roller coaster that does multiple inversions that can accommodate a wide range of body types including smaller children.

Just look at the video and pictures I took. They're a couple of pages back I think.

That said, I don't know anyone in the 300-350 range for weight. I know they exist, but I don't agree that there are 'so many people' in that range. Remember that WDW has to appeal to families - and families sometimes have small kids, and they need to be able to ride a lot of the attractions. The 44" height requirement is already limiting, if they made the seats bigger, they'd have to raise the height requirement as well, to make sure the seats were safe. If they had to make room for larger legs, how would smaller legs fit safely?
I spent a lot of my life being accused of having an eating disorder (I didn't), and I agree that there's also judgement toward extremely thin people. Having kids fixed that for me! But 300 lbs doesn't always look like you expect it to, and you might be surprised who fits into that category. I owned a bridal store for years and spent my days measuring women, assessing body type, and helping people navigate sizing that runs very small. And yes, many times having to tell women that a dress just does not come in their size. While I am not a large person, I am extraordinarily sensitive about people's feelings about what their bodies look like. They could have absolutely found a way to make this ride more inclusive, and they didn't. Let's hope it was just an oversight that will be corrected.

Last edited:
Has anyone who's average-sized but with very large calves ridden this? DH isn't exactly overweight (6', 195) but, as a horse rider, has huge calves. Would the test seat indicate that he won't fit? He's not a big Disney guy to begin with. If I make him stand in a long line and then he can't ride it won't be pretty!

Thanks!

I have to say that after watching the new video on youtube that was just posted that shows the room, I can now see why Disney made the restraints the way they did.

Would be an extremely dangerous situation if anyone got out of their chair during this ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter