Flight of Passage is Scary...

Everyone has different levels of scare tolerance. I can't do real haunted houses. Like over at Halloween Horror Nights. I can do Scare Zones but won't step foot in a haunted house. Scares the begeezes out of me even though I know they are 100% fake.

Also a woman of a ceraint age. Well, let me just be honest. I'm 52.

I hate real roller coasters. I can do BTMRR and 7DMT and even EE. But don't ask me to go to the other park, because I will NOT ride their coasters. Oh, and no way no how will I go on Soarin'.

But I have have to say that I really enjoyed FOP
I reckon I'm of a certain age too, seeing how I'm going on 55 this year.
But I do go to that other park and ride their coasters and all their simulator rides. Just not their haunted houses. LOL

Is it similar to Forbidden Journey at Universal?
Similar? Sure, in that it's a simulator with some flying. But that's where the similarities end. They are also as different as they are similar.

It's not exhilarating, it's frightening! Is it incredible? Absolutely. But, please be warned---some young children might leave crying. Adults, there are many drops and flying sequences at high rates of speed. That orange banshee scene even made my daredevil 8 year old son nervous. Motion sickness might be an issue for some.

Please keep in mind that I am a woman of a particular age and I don't like roller coasters, either. There will be plenty who think differently than I do about this attraction, I wanted to just provide my opinion. Please don't flame me.

No flames, you make a valid point, there are indeed many who think differently than you. That which you find to not be exhilarating, I find to be exactly that. And hence, why there are so many different rides, because everyone has different likes, and dislikes. I'm not a fan of big roller coasters either. I did Expedition Everest, I am ok with that, I wouldn't want to go on anything more intense than that though. FoP I absolutely loved. Splash Mountain scares the Pooh out of me.

I got very ill after riding the faster Mission Space back in 2011. Now, I am a little afraid that I will have the same problem on this ride. I will be a WDW this August and was looking forward to the new Pandora rides. Yikes!

I got very ill after riding the faster Mission Space back in 2011. Now, I am a little afraid that I will have the same problem on this ride. I will be a WDW this August and was looking forward to the new Pandora rides. Yikes!

Me too! I’ll never ride it again. No problem with FoP.

DH and I are 40-somethings. We both really enjoyed FoP. We didn't find it scary at all.
I am looking forward to going on it again this September with our boys (age 12 and 15) I know they will love it!

This thread cracks me up. :teeth:( Mostly because some of you are saying "yes stay away...don't get FP for FOP) :rolleyes1

I have seen sooo many posts where people liked it so much they were brought to tears. (some were rather admittedly old too!)

Now someone is calling it frightening?!o_O

I just want to ask xoSonya.......if from the moment the ride started you had closed your eyes would you have felt okay? Was it the visual only..or the visual mixed with the "flying"?

Last edited:
I think it's so interesting how everyone has different things that scare them about rides. I'm terrified of heights. We live on the eighteenth floor with floor to ceiling windows and for the first couple months after we bought the place I couldn't go all the way into the living room. I enjoy Soarin' but it is a white knuckle experience for me. My husband thinks that's hysterical because for him you're just sitting there watching a movie. He doesn't even hold on--drives me nuts. On the other hand Tower of Terror doesn't really bother me (which surprised the hell out of me)--dh needed a drink by the time we were done. I think he would do it once a trip just for the sake of doing it all--but he does not enjoy it. We went straight from there to the Brown Derby Lounge to split the margarita flight and the martini flight. I was kind of terrified of FOP but wasn't going to let the fact that we got FPs for it on two days go to waste. Loved it! On the day of our second FP there was a bit of a thing with the rooms and we ended up doing the silly preshow thing in three different theaters. It was irritating but handled well, but one guy in our theater totally overreacted and we all ended up getting two any time/any ride FPs. I was ready to do FOP again. Dh's response: "Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful ride. It's exhilarating and exciting. But it's also a little traumatic for me. I just can't do it back to back." We gladly used our any ride FPs elsewhere.

I’m 46..As I get older, I find that I get more adventurous, not less. I ride things now that I wouldn’t have dreamt of riding in my 20s. I must get it from my dad, he rode Tower of Terror and EE when he was 68 and loved them. The only ride he didn’t like was Mission Space on the orange side, because he got motion sick.

Oh, and no way no how will I go on Soarin'.

But I have have to say that I really enjoyed FOP

Really? Can I ask why? Soarin seems like the slower, kindler, gentler little cousin to FOP.

OP my mom hasn't been but I know she would find it terrifying but not because of her age. She's been afraid of heights and doesn't like rollercoasters since she was a kid. 7DMT is her limit.

All my kids love it, even my ride timid DD9 who finds BTMR too intense (the other two decided they don't like BTMR either - not intense enough). But they also all love Soarin so to me that's kind of a good indicator, at least for kids.

I like the ride, I think it's visually stunning, love that they accounted to a much greater degree for the distortion problem that Soarin has, and I've always, since being a kid, loved that sensation of being tricked with big screens to feel like you're flying. But I did find it a little disappointing because for how well done it is, for me it's not as intense as a real coaster. I know on some level that I'm not really moving so it's not as exciting as a RNR or Hulk.

I completely agree that everyone has their own opinion and their own tolerance for rides. But I will say I thought the OP posting was a bit dramatic. Some young children will leave Barnstormer crying, or even Dumbo, so FoP would be no different. My kids, who were 9 the first time they rode it, fell in love with it. Even DD9, who I've had to drag onto rides kicking and screaming because she's timid of the "unknown", went right on and now is one of her favorites. It's a simulator, so there is no "high speed" anything, just the illusion.

Again, I understand it's opinion, you're not "wrong" at all, and sorry you didn't like it. It's not for everyone, just like many other rides at WDW or any other park.

Really? Can I ask why? Soarin seems like the slower, kindler, gentler little cousin to FOP.

For me it really comes down to the fact that on Soarin' I get the really pronounced feeling of falling at several points, whereas with FOP it consistently feels like flying (even while swooping) if that makes sense. My guess is it comes down to the seating. FOP seating is very grounding.

love that they accounted to a much greater degree for the distortion problem that Soarin has

Can also echo that. Being a party of 1 meant that I kept ending up on the ends, and it felt awkward to ask a CM for a different seat when they're trying to gap-fill (especially as they have a single rider lane during loading of FoP, if not for the majority of the line). Soarin' even three seats towards the end in row 2 felt like the ride had been crossed with some sort of Hall of Mirrors, and really detracted from the effect. I rode FoP in seat 16 twice and seat 8 once, and found the experience to be remarkably similar by comparison.

I've recently been on both & FOP is nothing like intensity of MS Orange. I won't do MS Orange again - Green is perfectly OK - but will get up at dark thirty to rope drop FOP.

Can also echo that. Being a party of 1 meant that I kept ending up on the ends, and it felt awkward to ask a CM for a different seat when they're trying to gap-fill (especially as they have a single rider lane during loading of FoP, if not for the majority of the line). Soarin' even three seats towards the end in row 2 felt like the ride had been crossed with some sort of Hall of Mirrors, and really detracted from the effect. I rode FoP in seat 16 twice and seat 8 once, and found the experience to be remarkably similar by comparison.

We were in the lowest theater once and either the middle or upper once (it was the first time riding so I wasn't paying attention to that at the time). It was a different experience but not a bad one being on the bottom. I couldn't see the mushroom things in the cave as well but we were right on top of the ground animals and not distorted enough to really notice or be bothered by. On Soarin, being on the bottom or ends drives me crazy. Hall of Mirrors is a great way to put it. And since it's just the movie that needs to be changed (no construction involved) I wish they would fix it. But probably not high on any Disney execs To Do list (perhaps right after they fix the Yeti).

I am sorry you did not enjoy the ride but at least you can say you tried it to form your opinion. I love the ride and I am 57. There isn't a rollercoaster or thrill ride at Disney I don't enjoy but I am a little different. After you learn how to jump out of planes in the Marines nothing really scares you anymore.

another vote for lovin' it - but everyone is different. I found it to be totally amazing and not at all scary - just exciting.

I went once and motion sickness was too much for me. Now I stand in line with the family just to spend time with them, but when we get to the front I leave. Worth doing the one time only for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter