Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, and Guardians of the Galaxy

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm not super adventurous with rides (meaning, I'm afraid lol). My kids want to go on Guardians of the Galaxy and Flight of Passage (they're 8 and 11). I love 7 Dwarfs and Big Thunder Mountain, I don't like Tower of Terror, I've never done Space Mountain. I think my issue is mostly that I'm afraid of heights. Do you think I can handle Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Guardians of the Galaxy? Any feedback would be great- thanks so much.

Hi everyone! I'm not super adventurous with rides (meaning, I'm afraid lol). My kids want to go on Guardians of the Galaxy and Flight of Passage (they're 8 and 11). I love 7 Dwarfs and Big Thunder Mountain, I don't like Tower of Terror, I've never done Space Mountain. I think my issue is mostly that I'm afraid of heights. Do you think I can handle Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Guardians of the Galaxy? Any feedback would be great- thanks so much.
I am someone who has become motion sick and suffers from vertigo In my older age. I can’t do certain rides anymore Like the “Tea Cups, Rock & Roller Coaster and Mission Space! (Never again!)😜😂 I am able to do Tower of Terror on occasion and Everest. I LOVE Flight of Passage!! ♥️It is an amazing ride and you should try it! It does make me a little bit queasy but it is well worth it!! It is such a spectacular experience! You feel very secure in your seat. JMO

I am someone who has become motion sick and suffers from vertigo In my older age. I can’t do certain rides anymore Like the “Tea Cups, Rock & Roller Coaster and Mission Space! (Never again!)😜😂 I am able to do Tower of Terror on occasion and Everest. I LOVE Flight of Passage!! ♥️It is an amazing ride and you should try it! It does make me a little bit queasy but it is well worth it!! It is such a spectacular experience! You feel very secure in your seat. JMO
Thank you so much! I forgot about Mission Space - that one made me so sick lol. I have motion sickness as well - so I hear you on that. Thanks again!

Thank you so much! I forgot about Mission Space - that one made me so sick lol. I have motion sickness as well - so I hear you on that. Thanks again!
You’re welcome!
I went on it when it first opened before they had the gentler choice. 😂🤢I came out of there and could hardly walk I was so ill🤢. I had to sit down with some cold water in the JULY heat! Never again!!😂

Flight of Passage, absolutely. Worst case scenario, you can shut your eyes.

Guardians, there's no doubt in my mind this is a pass for you. It's a VERY intense roller coaster.

Everest is tough...much of it is just a fun fast ride with little surprise, but then...there's a biggie right in the middle. I'd lean towards you avoiding this one as well.

I think my issue is mostly that I'm afraid of heights. Do you think I can handle Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Guardians of the Galaxy?
FoP is a very gentle ride in terms of the actual motion of your seat. Unfortunately, the 3D visual starts out with a swoop down from a height, and for much of it you feel like you’re flying high in the air. So, I fear you might have to keep your eyes closed for almost the entire ride, if you want to go with your kids so that they can ride it.

Everest has one very large drop, otherwise it’s just a little more intense than BTMRR.

Guardians is an intense ride but there are no big drops (nothing more than BTMRR), just a lot of fast curves and swings from side to side.

So I used to me more adventurous but am less so now that I'm older and have kids and they mock me...so I ride to show them I'm cool.... lol. In all truthfulness, I do love all those rides even though I I'm not a fan of heights.

Now having ridden some of these rides so much, I don't really see them as super thrilling anymore but I really think it just comes down the individual. All of those rides are different but yet similar. EE is a thrill coaster and imo the most inducing of my fear of heights since it's outside and I feel like the train cars are so exposed. I sat in the front one time and never again.....I prefer close to the front but not front row where you see the track. It's less intense the closer to the front of the train. For FOP, it can freak me out given when you look around you see that you're stacked on top of other riders (similar to soarin). It's pretty thrilling considering you're really not moving at all and it scared me the first few times but now I really just enjoy it. And GofG, it can be an intense coaster but because you can't see any heights, it's really just the movement/screens that might get to you.

Some of these rides have a tendency to cause motion sickness so take that into consideration. And if you do decide to tap out while you're in line, there is always a last minute exit, just tell a CM you don't want to ride. I've had to ride some of these for my kids since my husband couldn't at times for motion sickness. I figured they really wanted to ride so I'd suck it up. In the end, I was scared but it's a lot of fun. He's since discovered dramamine and has done much better on coasters. BTW, you're not missing much on space mountain. As I've gotten older, it's now called back cracker, it's the least smooth roller coaster I've ever ridden....and it's in the dark so there's no fear of heights on that one for me, BUT I did ride it one time with the lights on and that was not fun....I prefer the pitch black.

I love Everest. I am not a super crazy roller coaster person either. I don't like heights, and yes, Everest does have the portion where you are very high up, but to me it was fun. I love the ride.

I don't do well with screen rides, but I want to try Guardians.

Tea Cups makes me insanely dizzy.You just never know!

Everest has a section on the way up that is very high, I close my eyes for that part. I find BTMRR is better because you feel surrounded by the mountain, not just stuck up there, like I feel on Everest. I have no real issue with Space Mountain because it's in the dark, can't tell you are high up. I love Flight of Passage, it's very well done and if it bothers you, close your eyes. I haven't done Guardians yet, I am sure I will be when we go next as my son loves all the coasters. I do find I can manage them a couple times and then he needs to ride by himself.

Everest has a section on the way up that is very high, I close my eyes for that part. I find BTMRR is better because you feel surrounded by the mountain, not just stuck up there, like I feel on Everest. I have no real issue with Space Mountain because it's in the dark, can't tell you are high up. I love Flight of Passage, it's very well done and if it bothers you, close your eyes. I haven't done Guardians yet, I am sure I will be when we go next as my son loves all the coasters. I do find I can manage them a couple times and then he needs to ride by himself.
You are my roller coaster twin. My family always teases me on the way up on EE, I want to look for all the amazing views but I'm so exposed!!! I know we're not going anywhere but it's intense. My feet are pressed into that train car like it's nobody's business and I death grip whoever is seated next to me lol. Ironically, I love the EE drop more than the ride up.

If you are fine on Big Thunder I would consider Everest. Besides the drop Its not that much worse, but does go backwards.
Watch some ride throughs to see if knowing the track gives you any peace of mind.

Guardians- No Way

Flight of Passage - Yes without question you can ride it. It is less scary than Soarin (I can understand that Soarin is hard if you are nervous with heights).

If you are prone to motion sickness I would probably skip GotG. I love roller coasters and ride them with no issues, but Guardians really messed me up! I can't do any ride that spins and I didn't know just how much spinning happens on GotG. The roller coaster part of it is fun, especially the launch, but the individual cars spin really fast.... the entire time the coaster is moving, if you can picture that. Not constant circles, but they spin to face your individual car toward the screens. Fast like RnRc, in the dark like Space Mountain, and spinning like teacups! I'm still trying to figure out a way to ride it again without getting motion sick, though!

My dh doesn't like heights either, and he can do EE, but he rarely looks over the edge when you're going up that first hill. It's actually his favorite coaster in WDW! It took him a few years to do it because of the first hill going up, but after that he LOVED it!

FOP is one of my favorites, and as other mentioned, you can close your eyes if it feels intense. The whole ride idea is that you are flying on the back of a creature, so heights are involved, but they're virtual. The ride vehicles do move a little with the movements of the screen but it is smooth.

Wow, IMO those are some very different rides. First of all, there's the usual advice: go ahead and ride each once; if you don't like it, don't ride it again! If it's just a matter of nervousness, I'd give that advice; if you're more seriously concerned, like there's a chance you might have a panic attack, then you might want to consider more carefully.

There are big differences based on what kinds of rides they are. FoP is a motion simulator, EE is an outdoor roller coaster, and Guardians is... well, it's an indoor "roller coaster," yes, but also has some of the DNA of dark rides.

FoP is all about the thrill of flight, so yes, the opening moments make you gasp as the animal you're riding suddenly plunges in a steep dive, and there are a lot of "are we going to run into that thing" moments. On the one hand, perhaps you'd find it less scary because there's always a knowledge that "it's not real," but it is very realistic and convincing.

In Expedition Everest, I hear others comparing it a lot to BTMRR, but there are some moments where you're high up and not moving that fast, so you might have more time to get concerned about height. In particular,
there's a moment in which the track ahead of you appears to have been torn up by the yeti. The coaster train heads toward the broken track and slows to a halt right in front of it. If you're in the front of the train, it's a very exciting moment (and a beautiful view for miles), but it could be triggering for a fear of heights.
It also has some sections moving backward, which could be scarier.

It's interesting that there are a lot of voices here giving stronger caution against Guardians than the others. I wonder whether that's just because it's new and we're already used the others? At any rate, my perception is the opposite. I feel like Guardians would be less triggering since it's indoors; for me, at least, there's a sense of safety in being "contained." It also gets a lot more mileage out of "forward/backward" movement than "being high up" or "swooping downward fast." In many parts of the ride you're aware that you're in a medium-sized indoor room, just like your average dark ride—Winnie the Pooh but faster! Also, the portion that's more of a true coaster, in which you're spending less time looking at projections and more swirling around, I'm not sure I would call "very intense" simply because the motion is very smooth. Compared to Space Mtn (which you haven't ridden), Guardians seems less interested in giving me whiplash by jerking me around in quick changes of direction (and the track itself is smoother because its newer). And BTMRR has those swaying cars, so even it is more focused on jostling you around; in contrast, Guardians gives more an impression of swooping swiftly but smoothly through space. It does have a fast backward-moving section though, and if you have trouble with motion sickness, it might be a concern (though I don't think it bothers nearly as many people as Mission Space).

If heights is your issue EE is out since it does have one pretty high part, you could close you eyes but it also has a part where you go backwards so if you are prone to motion sickness that might get you. I can ride EE but I do close my eyes on the backward part. I'll admit I rode it more when I was younger and was happy in a sad way when my son was no longer able to ride it because he has nerve damage in his spine. Happy cause I don't have to ride it any more, he loved him a coaster but sad because of why he can't ride it.

As others have mentioned FOP is a 3D ride, while you will feel like you are flying because of what you are seeing you really aren't. Others have said close your eyes, since the ride is mostly about the sensation of flying and what you are seeing on screen, I don't think it would be worth riding if you have your eyes closed. I can ride it but don't enjoy it because when I get off I have to stop, close my eyes and take long deep breaths to stop being dizzy. It's not worth it to me. I also don't think it compares to Soarin, which I can ride over and over again. It's the 3D and the effects they give you that make you feel like you are flying.

GoTG, I tried to like it but it's probably a one and done for me. No heights so there is that. But boy did it make me nauseous, not actually throwing up but I had to find a seat in the shade and sit sipping water for a half hour. I can't even tell you what song was playing I was so miserable, I had my eyes shut 3/4 of the way and just prayed it would end. On the plus side, it is a very smooth coaster and I didn't really get the sensation that I was on a coaster just a very fast, turning ride. I think had the screens not been there I would have been o.k.

My son is not a fan of heights and he loves FOP and GOTG, neither make him sick. He loved EE until the back problem and didn't have an issue with the height on it.

I think FOP is the best ride I’ve ever been on...if you love Big Thunder (one of my all time faves), I think you’ll love FOP...

Expedition Everest is awesome - it’s about at the limits of my roller coaster tolerance. It goes backwards several times, so if you can handle it, you’ll love it

I did not love GoG. It’s very cool, and a terrific ride, but it is INTENSE. They aren’t kidding when they advise not to eat just beforehand. I didnt eat, and still I felt a bit nauseous. I’m not one who gets sick easily, though I hate spinning rides like tea cups, so that tells you something. I get vertigo occasionally, so I did a lot of hoping that it wouldn’t kick in. It didn’t lol.
p

You can watch a video of EE to get an idea of what it's like.

FOP can be intense for a first timer, but you can always close your eyes.

GOTG made me so disoriented. Not sick, but dizzy and disoriented/confused. It's hard to explain. I'm going to try it again next time we go because everyone in my family loved it but me. I'll take Bonine this time.

If heights is your issue EE is out since it does have one pretty high part, you could close you eyes but it also has a part where you go backwards so if you are prone to motion sickness that might get you. I can ride EE but I do close my eyes on the backward part.
This. I'm not into super thriller roller coasters, but I was okay with EE, except for the backwards in the dark part. But I just closed my eyes for that, which made it quite tolerable. Same with FoP. My husband has a mild aversion to heights, and he will close his eyes for the hard downward swoops or inversions, which are very brief, and otherwise he's fine and can enjoy the attraction.

Others have told you Guardians probably no. I agree. FoP maybe because your seated in one thing that just moves in place (and can always close your eyes --- my favorite ride). However, with EE the initial climb is almost straight up and a very slow move to the top making you aware of how high you are and the sharp angle up. After which you fly down backwards for awhile before going forward again. My thought for you (if I read you correctly) is a no.

Flight of Passage, absolutely. Worst case scenario, you can shut your eyes.

Guardians, there's no doubt in my mind this is a pass for you. It's a VERY intense roller coaster.

Everest is tough...much of it is just a fun fast ride with little surprise, but then...there's a biggie right in the middle. I'd lean towards you avoiding this one as well.
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter