Fleet deployment with new ships

The Magic and Wonder are vey far away from being sold or scrapped. The regular cruise company keeps their ships around for 40 years+-, while the ultimate lifespan of most cruise ships is 50years +-. Disney takes very good care of their ships and I would not be surprised if they keep them around until they get that old. The question of if they will sell or scrap after use is up in the air. Disney is not a company that likes others to have their leftovers. However, I am one in favour of turing them into docked hotels, or even moving them inland(very expensive) and setting them up at WDW.
How about placing one as a hotel at CC?

How about placing one as a hotel at CC?

That would take away the dock. Part of the lease agreement was that only a certain portion of the island would be developed, and the big draw was that ships would be able to dock at the island and not have to tender as most (all?) the other cruise line private areas required at the time. Taking away the dock to permanently leave one there as a hotel would mean the ships coming would be tendering. Or if they anchored the "hotel" off shore, THAT would require tendering. And ultimately tendering would be more harmful to the ecosystem.

Not to mention how would people GET to and from the hotel?

Sorry, I don't see this one happening at all.

If you look at the contracts that have been signed in the last year, the fleet disposition has been settled.

3 ships in PC 2 new fulltime, 1 ship to be named later. Possibly initally same as the 3rd ship in Mia.
2 in Miami Both Dream class size. Most likely Dream plus 1 other large to be named later. Best guess is either the 3rd nb or Fantasy. Initially 1 full time, the other part time. Until all 3 nb are in. Then 2 full time. Possibly shared with the 3rd PC ship for the first few years.

Magic class Galveston and NOLA.

Europe, and Alaska havent changed.

PC already stated at least 2 of the new ships, plus a 3rd ship, (Process of elimination would mean either the Fantasy or the 3rd nb floating between Miami and PC) Miami contract shows 2 large DCL ships, NOLA and Galveston both show Magic class sized ships.

So, that puts all 7 of DCLs ships in the Carribean. Again. I'm really hoping for some new itins when the dust settles.

Last edited:
We just took a shuttle from hotel to Port Canaveral and had a very chatty bus driver...thank god it was a short trip. Has anyone else heard that Disney will expand the port area to be a mini Disney Springs? He even said Fish Lips, other restaurants and marinas will all be gone as Disney expands. Would make sense with more ships coming into play.
Port Canaveral just bought all of the property that Fishlips, and a few other places are on, because the owners weren't keeping up with the Maint of the area. They plan to lease some of the space the abandoned boats are in to SpaceX, otjer space launch systems, and cargo barges. PC has been redeveloping a lot of the port to make it 1 stop shopping so to speak for tourists. The only things DCL is doing now is revamping terminal 8, and 10. At the moment that's it.

While the Dream class ships will fit in the New locks, they will not fit under the Bridge of the Americas.
Theyll fit. The only ships too tall for the bridge are the Oasis class, and possibly NCL Encore.
The air draft on the BOA is 201 at high tide. The Dream class air draft is 191.

Port Canaveral just bought all of the property that Fishlips, and a few other places are on, because the owners weren't keeping up with the Maint of the area. They plan to lease some of the space the abandoned boats are in to SpaceX, otjer space launch systems, and cargo barges. PC has been redeveloping a lot of the port to make it 1 stop shopping so to speak for tourists. The only things DCL is doing now is revamping terminal 8, and 10. At the moment that's it.
Does that mean no more Fishlips? My family loves that place and are hoping to go back next spring. 😨

Does that mean no more Fishlips? My family loves that place and are hoping to go back next spring. 😨
No major changes. The port was upset that they spent a lot of money on lighting, paving etc and none of it was kept up by the previous owner. A lot of it was also under utilized. There was a bunch of shrimp boats tied up next to FL that we're abandoned and at least 1 broke loose during a hurricane.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/port-canaveral-buys-out-underutilized-waterfront-property

I would guess that a new ship may port in the West Coast to do the Mexico, Alaska (a new ship with bigger enclosed observation area), Hawaii/Asia. This may go to Asia (Japan, etc.) during the summer and come back to the West Coast for the Mexico/Alaska trips. I say new ship because 1) would be good to have a new ship with a bigger enclosed observation area for Alaska and 2) would be nice to have a new ship with amenities that cater a little more to Asian clients or Asian theme fast food restaurants on deck like noodles and dumplings, maybe even sushi rolls?

Wow, so my shuttle driver wasn't completely crazy in his predictions for port area.

Wow, so my shuttle driver wasn't completely crazy in his predictions for port area.
Not completely crazy. Some aspects were correct. The property was bought out, but by the port not Disney, and it was because of usage and aesthetics, as opposed to building Coast Disney. As far as I know, the only things DCL is working on is Terminal 8 and 10, Lighthouse Point, and a terminal in Miami. That's pretty much it. It's possible Disney may put a Disney Store somewhere in the Cove area, but I wouldnt hold my breath. The large majority of the land, eventually that is not already occupied, will be terminals in the next 20 or 30 years. In some cases they may create more land where land doesnt exist now, according to one of the master plan drawings they showed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter