• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fishing poles at HHI???

loveit

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if we could bring our own fishing poles to HHI and fish off of the dock. Do they let you fish off the dock?? Is there anything to catch off of the dock??!! :confused3 We just came back from "up north" here in Michigan and DD (9) just discovered that she loves fishing and I thought that when we go to HHI in July, she would REALLY like to fish in ocean water and maybe catch a real fish (rather than sunfish!:) ). Thanks!

Laura

I was wondering if we could bring our own fishing poles to HHI and fish off of the dock. Do they let you fish off the dock?? Is there anything to catch off of the dock??!! :confused3 We just came back from "up north" here in Michigan and DD (9) just discovered that she loves fishing and I thought that when we go to HHI in July, she would REALLY like to fish in ocean water and maybe catch a real fish (rather than sunfish!:) ). Thanks!

Laura

Hi Laura, we there there a few weeks ago. I didn't fish, but I saw a number of people fishing and crabbing on the pier. They seemed to have similar tackle, so I imagine it was rented. I don't see why you couldn't use your own pole, but I do believe you have to get a temporary license at the rental place. Doc will likely see your post and I am sure he can be more definitive.

If you don't bring your own fishing stuff, can you rent it from the recreation window right there? If so, how much is it? Does it include the bait?

We've brought our own fishing poles the last two years. I'm not aware that a license is required I will have to check into that next summer. I do know that poles are for rent at the rental window for $5/day. Bait is sold separately (frozen shrimp). We figured with the cost, we'd just buy our own and bring it back year after year. We have a folding pole which we've taken on the airplane no problem.

I don't fish, but my family does. We get bait at either Walmart or at the marine store by the Fresh Market & Cold Stone Creamery. My DS7 loves to try and use squid, and the birds around the pier enjoy a hand out. :)

Things they have caught -- whiting fish, flounders, crabs (who hang on to the line or the hook), small sting rays and small sharks. Be prepared for anything is our new motto. :scared: Most of our fishing has been done in the summer.

The rental window also sells crab nets. Best bait to catch crabs is by far chicken necks or chicken thighs.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter