Fish Extenders-Be Honest

I am considering doing the fish extenders for our Alaskan cruise but it honestly seems like a lot of work and since we are flying to our port, it would take more luggage. Is it really worth it? I don't want to sounds selfish but it seems like we would have a lot of people to do gifts for. Please tell me your experiences.....good or bad.

Good question. I am new to the FE and thought of trying it.

Participating in the FE is what you make it. Some people go all out and give gifts to every person in the cabin and some people give one gift per cabin. You can make it as simple or difficult as you choose. I know in the last couple of years some people's attitudes have changed, and it has bevome a competition for some. It really is just supposed to be a fun way to connect with other cruisers. Remember, it is the thought that counts!

Participating in the FE is what you make it. Some people go all out and give gifts to every person in the cabin and some people give one gift per cabin. You can make it as simple or difficult as you choose. I know in the last couple of years some people's attitudes have changed, and it has bevome a competition for some. It really is just supposed to be a fun way to connect with other cruisers. Remember, it is the thought that counts!
:thumbsup2 Exactly!!

Yes I agree! The group i am said they are doing "teams" of 10. So we would give to 10 staterooms. In thinking of just doing magnets or pins.

We participated in our 1st FE on our last cruise and I would have to agree with others comments regarding time consuming! That was my biggest complaint was running all over the ship to deliver gifts! Ugh!! I really wish they would run it more like Secret Santa where you each choose ONE family from the group. If that were the case, I could finance nicer gifts and only deliver to 1 stateroom on a daily basis. Just my humble opinion.

We participated in our 1st FE on our last cruise and I would have to agree with others comments regarding time consuming! That was my biggest complaint was running all over the ship to deliver gifts! Ugh!! I really wish they would run it more like Secret Santa where you each choose ONE family from the group. If that were the case, I could finance nicer gifts and only deliver to 1 stateroom on a daily basis. Just my humble opinion.
You could start your own group, designed that way, if you wish. No reason there can't be different groups on the same cruise, in the same cruise meet group.

I spent waaay too much time delivering our FE the first time with no real plan. Someone had posted thst they print out the deck plans and mark the cabins. I have been doing this ever since, and it really has helped cut down the time and extra wandering. I also think of that time as a little bonus workout and don't use the elevators! :)

I spent soooo much money and time on our FEs. I did age appropriate ones for each person in the cabin, including lego sets to make a disney cruise ship, bottlecap magnet sets, mickey rainbow loom bracelets, DCL keychain wristlets. I was going crazy to get it all done. Admittedly, it was my fault for making it so complicated. And we received some lovely gifts, like embroidered towels/napkins, a light card, a small painting. But so many of them were just candy in a ziploc bag. I, like a previous poster, left that for our steward. And delivering them was very time consuming. I'm glad we did it, but with my I-must-make-everything-and-it-must-be-amazing mentality, my DH and I agreed, never again.

I am doing my first FE on my cruise in June/July to Norway. It has been a lot of work. I'm not crafty but went out of my way to get age/gender/fav character/etc specific gifts. My reason is two fold, to make this trip extra special for my kids (this is my daughter's Children's Wish) and secondly, forced social interactions. (Lol sounds odd). I am shy and introverted until I get to know people. Committing to a FEGroup plus the Facebook group discussions is forcing me to interact with new people so it is worth the extra effort. End of the day the time and money I spent is fine if I see some extra smiles on my kids, even if what I get is less than stellar. I got extra of most of the gifts I'm giving because I or my kids wanted one too so hoping that's a good sign. Lol

Someone had posted thst they print out the deck plans and mark the cabins. I have been doing this ever since, and it really has helped cut down the time and extra wandering. I also think of that time as a little bonus workout and don't use the elevators! :)

i did this too, and actually enjoyed it as a 3D puzzle type of challenge--which route is the most efficient way to quickly deliver the gifts via the stairs? which stairs? do i start from forward, midship, or aft? do i start from the bottom and work my way up, or vice versa? it was fun, both to visualize in my head the delivery route as i sat at home and to actually do it in person once we got on the ship. i had a great time visiting all different corners of the ship, and got lots of steps that way! we will definitely participate again. :)

Thank you for those who suggested hanging our FE and filling it ourselves for our two boys...Great idea that I ran across DH and he agreed this would be much easier and more relaxing for us! :thumbsup2

i wouldn't do it. It's just more stuff to pack in your luggage and more things to worry about doing instead of relaxing and having fun. Not worth it in my opinion.

Thank you for those who suggested hanging our FE and filling it ourselves for our two boys...Great idea that I ran across DH and he agreed this would be much easier and more relaxing for us! :thumbsup2
I think its a great idea!! We always join the FE and bring a few extra for folks like you who have a FE hanging out but are not on our list!! We like to bring a little aloha to each door!!

I used to really enjoy doing the FE but am starting to get burned out. It's definitely worth doing once if your thinking about it though.

DH and I will be going on our first ever cruise to Alaska in August for his big 4-OH. I decided to join in on the FE at least this one time for the experience and fun of it. I love giving thoughtful little gifts to people because that's just me. I don't expect any extravagant, over the top homemade or expensive gifts and if my FE gifts put smiles on other people's faces, then I did my job for the day. :flower3:

For me, FEs are fun-a chance to participate in a group. It lets me explore the ship, see the other decorated doors, give some other cruisers some smiles (hopefully), all while getting some exercise as a benefit.

I am one of those that gives a gift to the cabin, not individualized gifts. On my first two cruises, i had a business card with a disney saying inside a coin envelope, one for each day. That way I delivered once but the recipient could enjoy something every day. They didn't take up much room, were inexpensive to make, and could be given to anyone. I also mailed them ahead of time to the cruise line, and they were waiting in my cabin when I arrived-saved some room in my luggage that way. My first cruise included crocheted mickey magnets, and the other I glued neodymium magnets (cheap on Amazon) to the floral stones (they were sea colored, and some were frosted like sea glass) to make magnets.

When we go on our cruise next year, I will do something simple. Haven't decided yet quite what...maybe a flat ornament. Ohh...if i print a page with all kinds of Disney character names in different colors on card stock, then cut into bookmarks. That wouldn't take up much room and would be easy to make. Add a loop and it could double as an ornament. And it will fit in small spaces for those who are concerned about space.
I was in a craft store and saw a scrapbook page with Disney characters, each in a box. One page had 49 (7 rows and columns). That and "peel and stick" thin sheet of magnet that can be cut would make great magnets to share.
Sorry-I am one of those "crafty" people and I'm getting carried away. I get all kinds of ideas...then I need to decide which one to do. I do this for the giving, but I do need to admit I like receiving too.

I don't mind running around the ship. And Kids love it. And they can be as cheap or expensive as you want them to be.

However, it is a LOT of time investment and stress. We like to do something thoughtful or crafty. Not just a handful of tootsie rolls in a plastic bag. Invariably we start to stress as we get closer and closer to the cruise date and still don't have something for the male adults or something. Or thinking we don't have enough.

then there is the suitcase room. i kid you not - our last cruise my ENTIRE suitcase was FE's. I had to bring all my 7 day clothes in my carryon and jammed between by wife's clothes in her suitcase.

it's fun. But it's work.

This is our first cruise and I've decided that my 2 granddaughters, ages 11 & 12, should participate at least once. You never know until you try. That being said, I'm looking to do 10 cabins, only one gift per cabin. That sounds manageable on a 5 night cruise. We have a Disney outlet store within driving distance and I noticed they had little $2 items. These were reduced from the original price and I know I wanted one so I figured others will as well lol. I plan to check back periodically(one of the advantages of having a year before we sail). Plus, my granddaughters and I can spend a craft day making something kewl. Add to that a local treat and Viola! There you have it. Everything put in a cellophane bag tied in ribbon .
:squirrel:Winner, winner chicken dinner. :crazy::tongue:pixiedust::thanks: :cake:

From reading these forums, it sounded like EVERYBODY was doing FEs. I thought my DD(8) would be so disappointed if we didn't do it if EVERYBODY was doing it. Mostly you had to sign up through Facebook though and I don't have Facebook, so I decided that she would just have to be disappointed. Reality was, that when we got on the ship, we actually saw very few FEs on people's doors. When we did the ship scavenger hunt she saw a few and asked about them. I told her what they were and she just said, "Oh." No whining, no disappointment, no big deal. So glad I didn't cave to the pressure.

2ppqaz80wwbau9ux.png

a9r6p5bie6dwifg0.png
2k9mbhlkuwkjjo6w.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter