First Week of March or May?

odd man out

Mouseketeer
My wife and I (60ish years old) are looking to take our first WDW trip without kids. We could go either the first week of March or the first week of May (probably Sun through Fri). Which would you recommend with regard to best prices, weather, or crowds?

May because it's after the spring break crowds and before the summer crowds. It's actually quite perfect in regards to weather, too.

May. Mainly because at this point, you would have to wait a whole year to go the 1st week in March, but the 1st week in May is less than 2 months away! lol.
Seriously, though - I would say May. Not too crowded and great weather. We'll be there 1st week of May - only 50 days to go!!!!

sorry, but already have a vacation planned for this year. so this would have to be next year. Was wondering if first week of may would be ahead of the spring break rush.

sorry, but already have a vacation planned for this year. so this would have to be next year. Was wondering if first week of may would be ahead of the spring break rush.
I'm pretty sure May is after Spring Break - at least it is in our area. Spring Break for us is in April.

We just returned from a first week of March trip. I didn't think the crowds were bad at all. The weather was lovely as well-not too hot, nor too humid, but warm enough for the pool. I know the weather can fluctuate year to year, so there's no guarantee it would be the same, but I'm already planning another first week of March trip for 2018.

I just got back from an early March trip. I would plan for that week again in a heartbeat.

We usually go both times. March is better weather. May can be hotter, rainier. We like it hot for the pool-mid 80's to 90's as from S Fla so May is a lot of pool and water parks for us. March is perfect touring the parks weather.

Just ck that the first week in March is not Mardi Gras -lots more people.

We are just back and had a great trip , perfect weather, low to moderate crowds, flowers at Epcot looked great, no rain. Did the same last year, both March and May.

May! It is after Spring Breaks & Easter & usually before most schools are out for the year. The crowds are low & weather is beautiful!

oops, I meant to ask if the first week of MARCH would be ahead of the spring break crowds.

We usually go both times. March is better weather. May can be hotter, rainier. We like it hot for the pool-mid 80's to 90's as from S Fla so May is a lot of pool and water parks for us. March is perfect touring the parks weather.

Just ck that the first week in March is not Mardi Gras -lots more people.

We are just back and had a great trip , perfect weather, low to moderate crowds, flowers at Epcot looked great, no rain. Did the same last year, both March and May.

I had already checked. Fat Tuesday is Feb 13 and Easter is April 1, so for next year, so that is not a problem. Good point.

You got both times every year? Boy am I an under achiever. We seem to get to WDW about once a decade.

We were just there in early March and the weather was really beautiful. Being before spring break means the crowds were much more manageable. No bugs, the start of the F&G Festival, and perfect weather make it a great time of year to be in Disney. Also, if you're from someplace cold, it's nice to escape the end of winter for a little while!

Definitely March! (Fewer people there with us in May that way :teeth:).

Seriously though, we've been in early May and March just prior to SB crowds hitting. I would say they are very similar. Wait times seemed very similar to us (possibly because of Disney running with reduced capacity in May ... maybe?). Weather was cooler in March which wasn't my preference (it could be yours though). We had full days of rain once on each trip so our experience was similar there but that's all luck of course. If you're flying, May has significantly lower fares available (like half the cost) which was a big deal for us. Resorts were a little less expensive in May but not enough for that to be a deciding factor. I would generally suggest May if you prefer a few days of hotter than you'd like (90s) over colder than you'd like (60s). But mostly I think it's what works best for you.

I just completed an early March trip and took an early May trip last year. I would 100% say early March! The weather was so much better. Much cooler, less humid, and it did not rain ONCE during my entire trip. Last May it rained at least 4 out of my 7 days, with 3 being significant night storms.

We just missed spring break crowds this year so that is definitely also a consideration. Easter is in April again next year so March may still be decent crowd wise. I arrived on Sunday, March 5th and it was honestly the lightest crowds I have ever experienced in Magic Kingdom. I stayed at a cheaper deluxe this March, but comparing the resorts, I would say pricing was pretty similar. Both times of the year fall within the "regular" rack rate. In May I used the Disney general public discount and March I used an AP discount and saved a significant amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter