First Visit: Unimpressed

Great! You probably shouldn't come back then! Sorry you had such a horrible visit.

+1

Seriously, though . . . I had good and bad CM experiences at both parks (as, it sounds, did the OP). And, sure . . . it's disappointing anytime someone is rude (both inside and outside of Disney). But, to create an account here, JUST to complain about that one thing? Really? Ok. To each their own, I guess. Seems . . . odd. To me, anyway.

Last edited:
Say what now? That’s one of the most mystifying statements I’ve ever heard. Or read. (From CA and most of my friends still live there even though I moved away)

Well, considering that I have had CMs at WDW and total strangers here in Texas tell me their whole life story, I must say, all the years I lived in CA, I never had someone at the grocery story tell me their entire history while buying produce. I grew up in Lynwood, and went to High School in Palmdale, and still have a lot of friends there.

Just to clarify... I never stated that it ruined my trip. These situations were surprising and certainly made a bad impression, so I thought I'd share it with the hope that it would help to make a difference in a place we all regard as very special. If the flaws in a system are not identified, then that system fails. Apparently, many on here disagree, and that's ok. In the future, I'll be sure to only post sugary sweet positive Disney vibes.

Just to clarify... I never stated that it ruined my trip. These situations were surprising and certainly made a bad impression, so I thought I'd share it with the hope that it would help to make a difference in a place we all regard as very special. If the flaws in a system are not identified, then that system fails. Apparently, many on here disagree, and that's ok. In the future, I'll be sure to only post sugary sweet positive Disney vibes.

I think you actually have a gripe if a cast member was rude to you, like your Fantastmic example. Where you lose me is complaining that no one called your kid princess.

But again, you're entitled to feel however you want. Did you raise these concerns with guest services at the park?

I think the problem is you are not commenting on other people's questions which would provide some clarification. Like asking if it ruined the whole trip, was the entire trip bad or just CMs, why did you let just CMs ruin your entire experience, etc.
Which comes off as someone who is just miserable, even though you may not be.

My family are WDW veterans. We've been several times, stayed at various resorts, enjoyed a variety of holidays, and vacationed during both the busy summer months and the slower-paced winter months. With every experience, we have been consistently "wowed" by our experiences with CM's in WDW. They have always been friendly, engaging, and a huge part of our decision to return year after year. Our consistently fantastic experiences with CM's in WDW had us very excited to visit DL for the first time last month. After all, this is Walt's park, and his spirit is sure to be everywhere in the park. Or so we thought...

At best, the DL CM's were less engaging than their counterparts in WDW. In some cases, they were rude and dismissive. On several occasions, CM's were more interested in having conversations with friends than interacting with (or even acknowledging) any of the guests. In fact, upon entering the parks on two different occasions, the CM's scanning park tickets held up the entire line while having conversations with friends/co-workers. Attraction operators could be heard complaining about their jobs, characters were often "not in character" (Ariel just took the picture - didn't even speak to us, even when my daughter referenced things like "the dingle-hopper"), and not once were the kids called "Prince" or "Princess" - something that happens every time we visit WDW (this is actually something the kids really look forward to!). I stopped to ask a CM about the Fastpass procedures for Fantasmic, and was rudely told, "There all gone. Get here earlier." Then she walked away.

This is not to say that every CM disappointed. The cast at Goofy's kitchen was remarkable, and the folks over at Star Wars Launch Bay were great! But, sad to say, our other encounters with CM's at DL far overshadowed these wonderful experiences.
How old are you?

Jack

Sorry to hear that your trip wasn't magical. We've always had wonderful experiences with the CMs, barring only a few interactions that weren't so friendly over 15+ years. We have some favorites that we look for each time we visit from recognition.

Come to think of it, I normally don't pay attention to CMs that much. Probably not the best way to phrase it, but I don't typically notice if they aren't being overly friendly.

I've been to WDW several times since 2016, and DL once in 2017. My impression was that the cast at DL were more genuine, and I honestly liked that. I get the sense that WDW cast are trained to be over the top enthusiasts- as a shy person that makes me uncomfortable. I don't want "performed at". In DL the cast engaged with me in more of a person to person conversation- and I truly appreciated that. This is probably a preference thing- the "culture" of each park is unique.

If you were truly being ignored or disrespected, that's another matter, and may merit follow up. That kind of thing happens everywhere-even in WDW. Usually it's a handful of people making a whole organization look less proficient. Either way, I'm sorry you had such a negative impression.

Come to think of it, I normally don't pay attention to CMs that much. Probably not the best way to phrase it, but I don't typically notice if they aren't being overly friendly.

I understand what you are saying and I think this would describe me as well, except on a rare occasion that someone truly does something magical or over the top rude.

Then again my daughter hated being referred to as princess. She would tell every CM that called her princess that she was NOT a princess and give them the stink eye. ;)

Interesting. I’m a life long visitor to DLR. I just got back from my first trip to WDW, and one thing that stood out to me was that the WDW CMs were not as friendly or engaging as their DLR counterparts. I guess we all have our own experiences through which we view the world (and Disney).

My kids have never been called prince or princess. It's always been something related to the characters/movie they wear on their shirt, so generally a Star Wars, Marvel, or Mickey reference. I find on my trips they even greet me that way.

I don't want to negate your issues because I am sure you were upset and the CMs aren't as good as they were a few years ago...but given that CMs just came out of a labor dispute about not being paid even close to a living wage, I figure they've got a lot going on. I used to work in the theme park industry and the one take away I understood by the end is that you get the quality labor you pay for.

Hopefully it didn't ruin your whole trip. I find DLR to be amazing, but it depends on what you let bother you I guess.

I have no desire to comment or in any way negate your experience...
Also, we have had problems around here with critical posts like this from a first time poster like you. It is always a bit suspicious that someone's very first post ever is so critical. Not invalid, necessarily. But suspicious.

Everyone - please take into account this was a first time poster...

Agree that it does raise an eyebrow when someone's (especially a WDW vet's) first post here is a complaint/criticism about DLR. Unfortunately they did not come here before their trip to do the research that could have made their trip much more positive and enjoyable. DLR and WDW are not and should not be carbon copies of each other. CMs at both parks act differently with guests because the cultures of the parks are different. Some simple research beforehand (like reading this thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets) could have prepared the OP for some of the 'Disney culture shock' that many WDW vets experience when visiting DLR for the first time. The differences don't make either park wrong or better -- just different.
(And complaining here in the hope that someone from Disney management might see the post is not as efficient as taking the complaint, if valid, directly to Disney at City Hall, Chamber of Commerce, or online via the DLR website.)
As you noted, this does seem to be a recognizable pattern for this kind of post.

Last edited:
I agree with the others' comments that this thread's title is very misleading. If the only issue was with the DL CMs, reflect that in the title. I still have no idea how the OP liked DL overall.

I've been going to DLR for 35 years. The only time CMs called my daughters or granddaughters Princess was if they were dressed as one of the princesses.

Just speaking for my own kids, if someone called them "Prince" or "Princess" (especially my daughter, who is anything BUT a princess!) they'd probably look at them like they'd lost their mind. That is, to put it mildly, NOT a quality we look for in a CM. In fact, for us, we're much more like the poster above who said they don't really pay too much attention to the CMs. Obviously, the ones who are in character should have some sort of expectation of friendliness; But the ones loading the rides? Or selling Mickey bars or whatever? I mean . . . as long as they do their jobs efficiently and don't overtly scowl or scream, I'm good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter